Help with Speaker Upgraditis :(
Dec 28, 2009 at 7:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Mysteek

100+ Head-Fier
So, less than two weeks ago I finally decided to listen to all your suggestions and told myself ''to hell with PC speakers, passive bookshelves here I come!''

I managed to acquire a used pair of Paradigm Atoms v.2 (I'm in Canada) for $100. I'm pairing it with a cheap Quest QSR5000 receiver (which I can't find any reviews on, so I don't know if this receiver is good or not). And I'm currently playing music through my Playstation 2 (CDs), sadly it sounds better than all 4 of my other CD players. I don't have an optical cable to take advantage of optical, but I just found out about 10 minutes ago that PS2s have an optical port--I've owned this PS2 for at least 6 years, doh.

Something seems missing, I can't exactly tell what it is though. Sometimes it feels as if the whole bottom-end just disappeared. My question is...

Was I spoiled from my Grado SR-325i's and Beyerdynamic DT880's?

I'm not going to lie--these atoms blow my Audioengine A2's, Swan M10's, Logitech Z-2300's, and all the other speakers I've ever owned completely out of the water. I don't think I can really compare speakers to headphones, it kind of feels like I'd be comparing apples and oranges.

I'm still not sure what's missing from the speakers. I'm hoping upgrading SOMETHING (adding a sub? change the receiver? don't use cheap RCA cables?) will cure this tinge of emptiness.

Feel free to ask me questions, I'm sure I missed something. I really hope I don't need better speakers already
frown.gif
Were A2's to Atoms a horizontal upgrade?

Dec 28, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #2 of 11
Based on what I read on their website, you're not likely to get much bottom end from those speakers. They're rated at 50Hz which isn't very low. You can try different positions with the emphasis on putting them closer to the wall which may help. I doubt different cables or amps will help but a subwoofer should certainly do so.

And yeah, comparing any speaker to headphones is pretty much apples to oranges.

Dec 28, 2009 at 8:05 AM Post #3 of 11
I think you basically answered your own question. You got little bookshelf speakers, and the bottom end is missing... a sub is probably the simplest solution, provided your receiver has a sub lineout.

Dec 28, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #4 of 11
I see!

What would pair well with the atoms for under $150?

I have a weak receiver, but it does have a sub lineout. I don't see anywhere on the receiver where I would be able to set a crossover though.

I don't mind buying used.

EDIT:

Would it be wise to cross brands? I found a PSB Alpha SubZero for $150.

Dec 30, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #6 of 11
Dec 30, 2009 at 4:19 AM Post #7 of 11
The Evidence MKII looks very nice, I'm scared to deal with brokerage fees/customs/etc though. I'll probably go with the MKII if I can't find anything else.

I also found the Polk Audio PSW125 for $150 used, would you say that this is a good deal as well?

Dec 30, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #8 of 11
The Polk PSW125 Is going for $349 at Crutchfield so id say yeah thats good.
Polk Audio PSW125 Powered subwoofer at Crutchfield.com

Decent specs for that price. Youll be using it on small bookshelves, so it should be plenty for them. You should be able to rock the room with it.

I have a 120w 10" sub. It was a RadioShack model, but i modded it with a 10" Rockford Fosgate car sub, and now its much punchier,cleaner, more bass and depth. Everything improved. It doesnt pop and break up anymore when i pound it. Much heavier magnet on it, and it was only $30 at BestBuy, so for what it is, im happy with it. I got it on clearance cheap.

For $150, if its in good condition, then take it ,if you can hear it and like the sound.
It looks nice on the site.

Dec 31, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #9 of 11
Thanks!

I made the purchase! PSW125 for $150 CAD. My only gripe is that it's not... punchy. It's extremely musical and laid back. Could it be that my receiver is now the weakest link?

It's also causing problems with my 32'' CRT TV from nearly 6 feet away--is 6 feet really still too close?

EDIT:

Sorry for the hammering of questions, I'm also wondering if a certain setup would give better sound quality. At the moment I have a single ''phono RCA'' plug connecting the sub out from my receiver, to the right channel line in of the sub. There are just so many options, connectors, etc, and I'm totally new to this. Google gives me conflicting information, too. I don't even know if I'm using the right cable to connect them together--all I know is to avoid Monster Cable, but at least Monster was noob-friendly enough to have a product called subwoofer cable. x_x!

Dec 31, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #10 of 11
Maybe play with the cross over and whatever else you can control there...move the sub around, heavier wires/cables.
Also some of a subs punch has to do with mids and highs,(from the main speakers) not just bass alone.
Youre not running a $100,000 purist system or anything, so try adding an EQ to the system and adjust it for punch, but be careful you dont throw too much bass to your bookshelf speakers. Crossing the bookshelves a bit over where the bottom of the frequency spectrum ends might be a good thing if you plan to crank them.
For cables, www.signalcable.com is a good place for cables.

Dec 31, 2009 at 11:50 PM Post #11 of 11
I found with my Polk subs that if the crossover frequency is lower than 100, it sounds too laid back. The sweet spot in my system is 140hz. Yours might be different though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back