Help with vintage stax maintenance/repair
May 29, 2021 at 7:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

theelmao

New Head-Fier
I recently received two pairs of vintage STAX, the sr-40s and the lambda pros, and they each came with slight issues that I wish to resolve. The sr-40s seem to have the simpler issue to fix, that being the cables that attach to the ear cups don't have the best connection so while listening it isn't uncommon for the audio to drastically change in volume or cut out on either of the ear cups if the cables aren't in their optimal orientation. to temporarily resolve this issue I duct taped the cables in good spots. was wondering where I should cut the cables to have them re-soldered, should I base the cut location on the way the cables need to be bent for their current best sound? theyre also very quiet even with the amp (srm-252) maxed out, does this indicate high impedance or low SPL, or both? the lambda pros seem pretty much impossible to fix in comparison. the driver on the right side seems to be warped, and it makes static noise (or stax farts) after a second when I pause complicated music abruptly, or when I play tracks that only use one section of the frequency range. I have had some success mitigating the loudness of this static by playing a combination of pure tones at loud volumes, indicating that I should probably break them in. i really want both of these earspeakers/headphones fixed because to me they sound better than my l500 mk 2s, which function perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back