Hi, I'm interested in suggestions for a desktop DAC Amp setup with no audible noise floor (black background) for sensitive IEMs
May 8, 2024 at 12:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

grainjar

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm interested in a desktop dac amp setup with an inaudible noise floor/hissing for sensitive IEMs.

I'm not sure what's more important for noise floor - the dac section or amp section, or both.

For dacs, I hear the SMSL SU-9 has no noise floor with sensitive IEMs. I'm guessing the Ultra model of the SU-9 is also noiseless (the marketing for it puts a heavy emphasis on how silent it is, so I'm guessing it follows the same spirit of the original SU-9).

For amps, I hear the Topping L70 and A70 Pro have no noise floor with sensitive IEMs. And then there's the Benchmark HPA 4 ($3,500).

There's also the JDS Atom 2 stack. According to Dongle Madness, it did not exhibit a noise floor with I/O Volare (4.8 ohm), which is considered a sensitive IEM.

I would love to hear some user experience and suggestions. Thank you.

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 12:26 PM Post #2 of 13
A Topping l30 II, A30Pro, or L50 all have a silent noise floor in the 50mv test on ASR. Ive had all of them and the L30 II stack on optical will really impress with 10ohm IEMs like the Truthear Zero Blue, amazing on those.

May 8, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #3 of 13
That depends on what kind of sound signature you prefer. Also are you looking for a DAC/Amp or a stand alone DAC and Amp? Also, what's your budget? If you can answer that, I could make some recommendations you may want to research.

May 9, 2024 at 6:21 PM Post #5 of 13
A Topping l30 II, A30Pro, or L50 all have a silent noise floor in the 50mv test on ASR. Ive had all of them and the L30 II stack on optical will really impress with 10ohm IEMs like the Truthear Zero Blue, amazing on those.
Ah, do you find that the noise floor increases when you also increase the gain?
That depends on what kind of sound signature you prefer. Also are you looking for a DAC/Amp or a stand alone DAC and Amp? Also, what's your budget? If you can answer that, I could make some recommendations you may want to research.
It doesn't matter if the dac and amp are purchased separately, or if they come in a bundle, as long as it has no audible noise floor. I prefer more of a neutral signature and deep/wide soundstage. I'm interested in a setup within $1,500, but you can suggest anything, just so I can take note of it for comparison and see if it's something that could interest me. Generally speaking though, once you go past 1K, it gets harder to find dac/amps that are completely noiseless with sensitive iems, since the more powerful and technical dac/amps seem to be tuned for headphones and speakers. You'll hardly find reviewers mentioning IEMs once you reach that price bracket for dac/amps. Most iem users seem to prefer dongles.
With sensitive IEMs you could also skip the DAC/Amp and plug into the headphone jack....just saying...
Sorry, I don't understand. Can you elaborate on what you mean? On one hand, you're saying that I can skip the dac/amp, but on the other hand, you're saying I should plug it into a headphone jack. What headphone jack do you mean?

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 7:05 PM Post #6 of 13
Ah, do you find that the noise floor increases when you also increase the gain?

It doesn't matter if the dac and amp are purchased separately, or if they come in a bundle, as long as it has no audible noise floor. I prefer more of a neutral signature and deep/wide soundstage. I'm interested in a setup within $1,500, but you can suggest anything, just so I can take note of it for comparison and see if it's something that could interest me. Generally speaking though, once you go past 1K, it gets harder to find dac/amps that are completely noiseless with sensitive iems, since the more powerful and technical dac/amps seem to be tuned for headphones and speakers. You'll hardly find reviewers mentioning IEMs once you reach that price bracket for dac/amps. Most iem users seem to prefer dongles.

A few suggestions you may want to Research, Violectric V226, Questyle CMA Twelve Master, Questyle CMA Fifteen (2nd Hand), Fiio K9 variants. All of these devices should have a noise floor low enough for you to use sensitive IEMs. I can vouch for Violectric and Questyle as I own the HPA V222 (The V226 has a DAC but the amp section is identical) and CMA Twelve Master. Both do a phenomenal job with IEMs. The background/noise floor is silent with a variety of sensitive IEMs and Headphones.

May 9, 2024 at 7:10 PM Post #7 of 13
There are other manufacturers out there like SMSL, Topping, & Xduoo but I cannot speak to all of their offerings. The Xduoo TA-22 may be worth researching as well. It may lean a little warmer than neutral as it has tubes but it seems to get glowing reviews.

SMSL my only experience with the SU-9 & SH-9 were pleasant. So I would have to imagine there wares may be worth exploring.

I have no experience with Topping as their reported house sound isn't my cup of Tea. But they do supposedly have neutral/ bright leaning gear.

May 9, 2024 at 7:13 PM Post #8 of 13
If you want the best value for the buck sweet spot, then the JDS Atom Amp 2 is advertised as having no noise, even with its newest design. My Atom Amp is noiseless with the CA Solaris Gold that I owned, so the Atom Amp 2 should just be even more of the same and even when paired with a Atom DAC, it will be less than $300 for the bundle, leaving you more money to upgrade to IEMs that have your preferred sound signature:

https://jdslabs.com/product/atom-amp-2/

https://jdslabs.com/product/atom-dac-2/

May 10, 2024 at 12:46 AM Post #9 of 13
Sorry, I don't understand. Can you elaborate on what you mean? On one hand, you're saying that I can skip the dac/amp, but on the other hand, you're saying I should plug it into a headphone jack. What headphone jack do you mean?
You're sending a source -- a DAP? a computer? a phone? -- into a DAC/Amp. Doesn't your source have a headphone jack?

Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 7:14 PM Post #10 of 13
A few suggestions you may want to Research, Violectric V226, Questyle CMA Twelve Master, Questyle CMA Fifteen (2nd Hand), Fiio K9 variants. All of these devices should have a noise floor low enough for you to use sensitive IEMs. I can vouch for Violectric and Questyle as I own the HPA V222 (The V226 has a DAC but the amp section is identical) and CMA Twelve Master. Both do a phenomenal job with IEMs. The background/noise floor is silent with a variety of sensitive IEMs and Headphones.
I've already checked out K9, and it's reported to have noise floor with iems. This extends to K5, K7, K19. Thanks, I'll check out your other suggestions.
There are other manufacturers out there like SMSL, Topping, & Xduoo but I cannot speak to all of their offerings. The Xduoo TA-22 may be worth researching as well. It may lean a little warmer than neutral as it has tubes but it seems to get glowing reviews.

SMSL my only experience with the SU-9 & SH-9 were pleasant. So I would have to imagine there wares may be worth exploring.

I have no experience with Topping as their reported house sound isn't my cup of Tea. But they do supposedly have neutral/ bright leaning gear.
I have the Xduoo XD05 Pro, which has a noise floor with iems, despite being a portable, and so I doubt the desktop will be any friendlier to iems.

I heard SMSL SU-9 is good with iems. I think I've seen two or three users report that they have an inaudible background with the particular pairing of SU-9 and Topping L70. I tried checking out Topping A90, but I read one user say that even the lowest gain is too loud for iems.
If you want the best value for the buck sweet spot, then the JDS Atom Amp 2 is advertised as having no noise, even with its newest design. My Atom Amp is noiseless with the CA Solaris Gold that I owned, so the Atom Amp 2 should just be even more of the same and even when paired with a Atom DAC, it will be less than $300 for the bundle, leaving you more money to upgrade to IEMs that have your preferred sound signature:

https://jdslabs.com/product/atom-amp-2/

https://jdslabs.com/product/atom-dac-2/
Ah, I have heard good things about the Atom 2 stack when it comes to iems, so it's definitely worth considering. I don't know what's the impedance of the Solaris Gold, but I have heard the regular Solaris is a sensitive iem. Can I ask what DAC you paired with your Atom amp and how is the soundstage width/depth?
You're sending a source -- a DAP? a computer? a phone? -- into a DAC/Amp. Doesn't your source have a headphone jack?
Ah, I would like the power and technical performance of a desktop setup, but without the noise floor.
Fiio K5 or K7 should have enough power for anything you throw at it.
I read that the Fiio K5 and K7 exhibit noise with iems. Same with K9 and K19. Their portables seem to be better, though, like Q15 and M17. I heard the M17 has a black background.

Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 8:22 PM Post #11 of 13
I've already checked out K9, and it's reported to have noise floor with iems. This extends to K5, K7, K19. Thanks, I'll check out your other suggestions.

I have the Xduoo XD05 Pro, which has a noise floor with iems, despite being a portable, and so I doubt the desktop will be any friendlier to iems.

I heard SMSL SU-9 is good with iems. I think I've seen two or three users report that they have an inaudible background with the particular pairing of SU-9 and Topping L70. I tried checking out Topping A90, but I read one user say that even the lowest gain is too loud for iems.

Ah, I have heard good things about the Atom 2 stack when it comes to iems, so it's definitely worth considering. I don't know what's the impedance of the Solaris Gold, but I have heard the regular Solaris is a sensitive iem. Can I ask what DAC you paired with your Atom amp and how is the soundstage width/depth?

Ah, I would like the power and technical performance of a desktop setup, but without the noise floor.

I read that the Fiio K5 and K7 exhibit noise with iems. Same with K9 and K19. Their portables seem to be better, though, like Q15 and M17. I heard the M17 has a black background.
I previously owned an SU-9 DAC and SH-9 Amp, the background sounded as if the unit wasn't powered on.. So I think that would be worth checking out. It won't break your bank for the SU-9 + SH-9 combo.. They were neutral enough.

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 10:08 PM Post #12 of 13
I previously owned an SU-9 DAC and SH-9 Amp, the background sounded as if the unit wasn't powered on.. So I think that would be worth checking out. It won't break your bank for the SU-9 + SH-9 combo.. They were neutral enough.
Thanks for sharing your user insight 🙏 the SH-9 is missing a 4.4mm in the front. It's not a deal breaker, but I ended up getting a used L70 for $270 to give it a shot for now. I haven't made a decision on the DAC yet. But I'm leaning toward the SU-9 Pro or SU-9 Ultra. It's basically the same model as the original SU-9, but the Pro model has the updated ESS dac chip, and the Ultra model has the AKM dac chip. From reading reviews, the Pro model has my desired neutral sound signature with airy soundstage. The Ultra is warmer, and apparently the soundstage is more confined. However, one reviewer confirmed that the Ultra model has a black background. I wonder if it's the same on the Pro model. I think I'll try asking around.
The spacing between instruments and vocals is not just spacious; it’s a void painted in obsidian, offering a blackness that lets each note emerge with crystalline precision. This DAC is the maestro of silence, where the absence of sound becomes as defining as the notes themselves.
https://primeaudio.org/smsl-su-9-ultra-review/

May 11, 2024 at 11:21 PM Post #13 of 13
Thanks for sharing your user insight 🙏 the SH-9 is missing a 4.4mm in the front. It's not a deal breaker, but I ended up getting a used L70 for $270 to give it a shot for now. I haven't made a decision on the DAC yet. But I'm leaning toward the SU-9 Pro or SU-9 Ultra. It's basically the same model as the original SU-9, but the Pro model has the updated ESS dac chip, and the Ultra model has the AKM dac chip. From reading reviews, the Pro model has my desired neutral sound signature with airy soundstage. The Ultra is warmer, and apparently the soundstage is more confined. However, one reviewer confirmed that the Ultra model has a black background. I wonder if it's the same on the Pro model. I think I'll try asking around.

https://primeaudio.org/smsl-su-9-ultra-review/
I'm sure there is a thread for SMSL DACs here on Head-Fi. Happy hunting and enjoy the music!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back