HiBy R6 2020 User Impressions
Jan 3, 2021 at 6:51 AM Post #408 of 1,971
I know Dragonfly Cobalt significantly cheaper and 1 DAC chip inside for both channels and SE output - but how is the SQ tuning between the 2 for those that have sampled both ? In a similar vein ?
I love the ES9038Q2M chip in about 3 dongle DACs I have owned now.

Jan 5, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #410 of 1,971
Just to let everyone know, I just emailed Andrew at Musicteck and he said that the preorder batch was shipped from China. He expects to fulfill the preorders between January 10-15. :)

Thank you for your information. I also ordered at Musicteck, and charged $50 for shipping, so I have supposed that it will be shipped from US. It seems $50 is quite expensive for shipping rate from China to Japan.

Jan 5, 2021 at 9:41 PM Post #411 of 1,971
Hope you didn't lead me astray. Review is not why I bought this but it was the straw that broke this piggy bank.

I had the bug for a new player. I tend to prefer dedicated non android FW players but I've found Qobuz quite acceptable and have a ton of Hidef files on a server so a versatile player like this made sense. That they have tweaked Android interference/artifacts out plus the hardware changes caught my attention. I was willing to spend more but portable is far from my primary listening(though I only use these that way) and as they get more expensive, they also seem to get bigger and heavier. This is already at those scale limits for me. I may have considered the PAW 6000 but thought I should actually get more versatility this time. I haven't kept a player since my QPIr though I did try a QPR2 that I found too warm. This player should be quite good sounding and fun. We'll see in a couple/few weeks.

Jan 8, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #412 of 1,971
I know this is quick as you're expecting me to review the R6 and i do indeed love it, yet I've decided to sell it right away.
The reason is i got Luxury & Precision P6Pro and only reason to keep the Hiby wound be streaming, yet BT on P6Pro works great, so gonna use that.
Feel free to PM me especially UK peeps if you wanted a R6 new before release.

Jan 8, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #413 of 1,971
I know this is quick as you're expecting me to review the R6 and i do indeed love it, yet I've decided to sell it right away.
The reason is i got Luxury & Precision P6Pro and only reason to keep the Hiby wound be streaming, yet BT on P6Pro works great, so gonna use that.
Feel free to PM me especially UK peeps if you wanted a R6 new before release.

Juts to add, BT on P6 Pro is Rx only to pair up with a smartphone, it doesn't have BT Tx to pair up with wireless headphones.

Jan 8, 2021 at 9:40 AM Post #414 of 1,971
Juts to add, BT on P6 Pro is Rx only to pair up with a smartphone, it doesn't have BT Tx to pair up with wireless headphones.
Yeah, true and thanks for clarifying.
They should have added that, but i don't care.
Tidal via phone works like a charm 👍

Jan 8, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #415 of 1,971
Can't imagine spending almost $4k on a DAP that has such a small screen and not all the features of most DAP's at 1/5 of the price. Does it really sound that much better? Maybe it's just me. Also, I am one of those people who doesn't use any streaming services. I'd rather buy hi res, rip CD's, or download mp3's. Oh, I also don't use BT headphones or anything like that. Maybe I'm in the minority. I am looking forward to getting the new R6. I have the R3 Pro Saber, original R6, and the DX160.

Jan 8, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #416 of 1,971
Can't imagine spending almost $4k on a DAP that has such a small screen and not all the features of most DAP's at 1/5 of the price. Does it really sound that much better? Maybe it's just me. Also, I am one of those people who doesn't use any streaming services. I'd rather buy hi res, rip CD's, or download mp3's. Oh, I also don't use BT headphones or anything like that. Maybe I'm in the minority. I am looking forward to getting the new R6. I have the R3 Pro Saber, original R6, and the DX160.
And you shouldn't..
There's no justification for the price, everyone agrees
It's a journey and not for all,
Your choices are to leave it, keep buying many 300,700 things or get this😉

Jan 8, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #417 of 1,971
Can anyone tell me the release date for the R6 2020?

Jan 8, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #418 of 1,971
And you shouldn't..
There's no justification for the price, everyone agrees
It's a journey and not for all,
Your choices are to leave it, keep buying many 300,700 things or get this😉
Or get an R8 with flagship-quality reference sound for $1900 and call it day. Not to poo-poo on the R6 thread, but the only thing that would currently interest me away from the R8 is a balanced R2R ladder DAP with the features/processing power of the R6/R8. For me and my use case, Android/modern SoC/hi-res 1080P+ screen are baseline requirements before we start talking sound.

Jan 8, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #419 of 1,971
I'm pretty sure it's out already, they just haven't received any at US vendors to ship which should be happening any day now.

Jan 8, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #420 of 1,971
It's easier to convince the wife of smaller purchases spaced out, then one giant one :) And yes, I would love the R8 and call it a day haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back