HiBy RS6 Android DAP - Snapdragon 660, 4+64GB, 5” full HD, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 16x, copper chassis
Oct 11, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #3,077 of 3,181
Oct 11, 2023 at 7:46 PM Post #3,078 of 3,181
Everything is default with NOS enabled.
Can you try whether the same applies with NOS disabled?

Or, is it more something that comes when you move the connector in which case the suggestions about cleaning contacts would indeed apply?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 17, 2023 at 2:31 PM Post #3,080 of 3,181
It works but irrespective of their relative sensitivity they could nonetheless do with a little more power. Having the Cayin C9 in between scales them up quite significantly.. But I must say that is a little inherent to Planars. In find (sensitive) dynamic headphones to do a little better on the RS6 than Planars.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2023 at 5:47 PM Post #3,081 of 3,181
Hey guys, would you recommend to use the DAP as a desktop replacement for gaming and stationary use? Is there a video/sound sync issue on the usb mode, like mentioned in a review?
Is it also useable on an Apple TV via Bluetooth without additional delay compared to other Bluetooth DACs like the BTR7?

Oct 22, 2023 at 9:05 PM Post #3,082 of 3,181
Hey guys, would you recommend to use the DAP as a desktop replacement for gaming and stationary use? Is there a video/sound sync issue on the usb mode, like mentioned in a review?
Is it also useable on an Apple TV via Bluetooth without additional delay compared to other Bluetooth DACs like the BTR7?
It's not the first thing I would recommend for these uses, no.

This is no speed demon in terms of connection latency.

If you have delay even with the BTR7, try looking for a dongle with aptX LL (low-latency) codec and see if the Apple TV supports that as well. Avantree for example has a good lineup of devices with that.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Oct 23, 2023 at 3:37 AM Post #3,083 of 3,181
I foolishly misplaced the stock OTG cable that came with my RS6, I’m wondering what would be an equivalent replacement?

Any USB-A -> USB-C will do or is there something specific I should look for?

Oct 23, 2023 at 4:51 AM Post #3,084 of 3,181
It's not the first thing I would recommend for these uses, no.

This is no speed demon in terms of connection latency.

If you have delay even with the BTR7, try looking for a dongle with aptX LL (low-latency) codec and see if the Apple TV supports that as well. Avantree for example has a good lineup of devices with that.
The latency is not an issue with the BTR7. The only codec supported by Apple TV is AAC.
Thanks for the reply

Oct 23, 2023 at 7:30 AM Post #3,085 of 3,181
I foolishly misplaced the stock OTG cable that came with my RS6, I’m wondering what would be an equivalent replacement?

Any USB-A -> USB-C will do or is there something specific I should look for?

Let me know if you find something, pretty sure can order from Hiby direct. I misplaced mine and found a regular USB-C to USB-C is able to transfer files from my laptop, not seen on my Desktop USB-C port for some reason.

I tried an iFi USB-C to USB-A OTG adapter in PC and nothing, maybe need USB-A to USB-A cable?

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2023 at 12:03 PM Post #3,086 of 3,181
Hi I had install VLC on RS8 to test using it as a video player and can confirm there is audio/video sync problem and it’s not fixable by the delay option in VLC app.

And can confirm that there is also sync issue when using it as a USB DAC with my iPad as video player. So I went back to my Luxury precision Dongle as there is no sync issue with the iPad.

Nov 2, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #3,088 of 3,181
I wonder if it's even theoretically possible to upgrade to android 12 in the near future? Android 9 looks quite old today.
Theoretically yes, practically no.

One should realize that a DAP’s Android operating system is not a vanilla build that is simply flushable on top of an older version. Instead these OS builds are customized to the bone in order to bypass the default Android sound drivers and to make optimal use of the audio hardware. This happens to a degree that with Android alone will never be possible.

This means that developing a new OS version for an older DAP requires a significant additional effort (=costs) that rarely is included in the original financial business case of a DAP.

Nov 3, 2023 at 1:37 AM Post #3,089 of 3,181
Theoretically yes, practically no.

One should realize that a DAP’s Android operating system is not a vanilla build that is simply flushable on top of an older version. Instead these OS builds are customized to the bone in order to bypass the default Android sound drivers and to make optimal use of the audio hardware. This happens to a degree that with Android alone will never be possible.

This means that developing a new OS version for an older DAP requires a significant additional effort (=costs) that rarely is included in the original financial business case of a DAP.
But on the other hand, there are already developed solutions on android 12 for almost identical DAPs - RS8 or P6Pro2. Here, by identical, I mean SoC, RAM, etc.

Nov 3, 2023 at 5:18 AM Post #3,090 of 3,181
But on the other hand, there are already developed solutions on android 12 for almost identical DAPs - RS8 or P6Pro2. Here, by identical, I mean SoC, RAM, etc.
True .. and yet this does not necessarily simplify things. Devices still need to be thoroughly tested afterwards before they get the status "Market Ready" .. The time=cost factor still applies ... I also see that in our own company. Each and every new software release invariably goes via OTA before released into production, regardless of importance or impact. Having to troubleshoot devices when an error has crept into a release version is bound to have an impact on profitability. And let's not forget, the likes of Hiby, Cayin etc cannot be compared to Samsung for instance. Samsung sells so many devices per year that the costs of a new software release can be distributed over many more units than with a DAP manufacturer.

Edit: Aside from the above, an identical SOC or RAM is not where the issue lies in the end. The audio technology is much more different between those devices than the "smartphone"-side of things and also needs development in order to integrate it into the Android OS

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back