HiFiMAN 602: Talk about your initial impressions and specs
Nov 5, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #796 of 1,195

Quote:
Maybe it's the amp being powerful than most other sources and more current leading to more bass. I am listening to Muse-Uprising with the 602 EQ and comparing it against my Droid and the bass seems to have the same amount(although the SQ difference is just huge).

wait a sec. a FW update solved this problem? 

How/where did you guys get a firmware update?  I love the sound, but the 602 has some tough edges.  It could use a FW update... :)

Nov 5, 2010 at 1:04 AM Post #797 of 1,195

Quote:
Maybe it's the amp being powerful than most other sources and more current leading to more bass. I am listening to Muse-Uprising with the 602 EQ and comparing it against my Droid and the bass seems to have the same amount(although the SQ difference is just huge).

wait a sec. a FW update solved this problem? 

How/where did you get an update?  Mine is currently version 0.03.

Nov 5, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #798 of 1,195
602-->desk amp-->T50rp or 602--> T50rp? kinda confused here =) and btw, v0.03 is the latest firmware for now

Quote:
It sounds very nice with the Audio Technica W1000 and with the Fostex T50rp.  With the Fostex, in particular, the synergy is awesome.  It sounds better with the 602 and this my desk amplifiers (Doge 6210 and Shanling PH3000).

Nov 5, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #799 of 1,195
Nov 5, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #800 of 1,195
@Anaxilus
Really well written review mate. You explained the difference that I hear comparing 3gs & 602 very clearly. I guess I was mistaking the 602 'analogue/dark' sig as less refined/detailed. I am adapting to this NOS sig more and more and really love it.
Btw my unit has improved noticably in the first 50hrs. Also synergy is huge with the 602 imo. Using the LO to my mini max millet (Black Gates& neutral tubes)  with IE8 TWag is incredible. The 3gs LO in this situation is no where near it IMO.

Nov 5, 2010 at 3:53 AM Post #801 of 1,195
Should I PM Fang about the firmware update? I tried the LO and it was really good(yeah this is how the M50 sounds). on a side note I also hate my Korean tracks displayed in squares.

Also, I'm confused. isin't LO supposed to be unamplified signal? The volume of the LO is substantially higher than what would I normally hear, and doesn't it mean amplified? And what contributes to the sonic differences between HO and LO? The gap was HUGE with my M50. I'm confused(and my main study is Chinese and Economics, so I don't know a thing about these things)

Is there an article that can make this clear, or can somebody give me an explanation(doesn't need to be that detailed, even a single term is OK since I can search about it). I tried google but again, I don't know what to search, so I am without success. I just can't understand.

confused_face_2.gif
<- me

Never mind. I think I am getting this.

Nov 5, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #803 of 1,195
Anaxilus,

Since you mentioned that the LO isn't as powerful on the 602 as it is on the s:flo2, I wonder which one would work better as a direct source via the LO to my car amp?  I plan on only using FLAC files and have narrowed my choices between the two.

TIA

BTW, I did connect a Nokia N800 which plays FLAC with the Canola player and it sounded horrible.  I do stream music with my HTC touch pro and that sounds much better.

Quote:
Am I the only one that has no loss of detail w/ the 602?  I hear more detail that any other portable I've tried.  The only difference is the soundstage is more congested than say the Sflo2.  Hopefully ovrclkd just got a bad unit.

@ ovrclkd - Does the sound stay the same out of the LO?  The LO isnt as powerful as the Sflo2 so you could actually just plug into it to find out.

Nov 5, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #804 of 1,195

Quote:
Anaxilus,

Since you mentioned that the LO isn't as powerful on the 602 as it is on the s:flo2, I wonder which one would work better as a direct source via the LO to my car amp?  I plan on only using FLAC files and have narrowed my choices between the two.

TIA

Haven't had a chance to reply to your PM and check out your link but hopefully this might be helpful for yourself and others.  Assuming you are concerned enough w/ car audio that you would have a decent system to use the Sflo2 or 602 as a source, the lower output should not be an issue compared to the Sflo2.  Unless you have a ridiculous cable run it should be fine.  Assuming you are going aux in to your HU w/ a 2, 4 or 8 volt preout to amp it also a larger matter of how you HU will handle the signal.  I think feature set, usability and synergy w/ your gear will be larger considerations as to which is right for you.  Don't be hung up on the LO output, its not a weak signal.  If you are all MOSFET the 602 will synergize well.  Even the Sflo2 should be great but you'll get that digital brilliance reinforced.  I'm a Triple Darlington guy myself.  
wink_face.gif

Nov 7, 2010 at 7:08 PM Post #805 of 1,195
Thanks for your insight.  After owning a modified Slim Devices Squeezebox 3 for three years and the current Squeezebox Touch for most of the year, I had most of my CD collection ripped to FLAC.  I'm very fond of the sound quality output I get in my 2-channel system at home so much so that I sometimes forgot that about my Primare CD21 player.  Since my car's audio system upgrade, I sort of rediscovered my "lost" CD collection, but prefer to get the best portable digital transport so I can get the versatility out of my FLAC collection.  I perused many threads both here and at ABI and earlier today, I stumbled upon dfkt's review of the Hifiman 801 that reminded me about snake oil salesman in the home audio world.  I won't judge any of these devices till I hear them, but it's almost impossible as they're not sold at any big box stores to demo these units (Too bad the smaller chains like Affordable Portables in SoCal are no longer in business).  So I guess that's why there are lots of FS/WTB threads in the Classified section of this forum as most are still on the quest to find the ultimate synergy between their sources and headphones.  The same goes for the home audio folks, but that can get a lot costlier.  In any case, I still have my Nokia N800 which can play FLAC and I should take back what I said the other day about it sounding horrible.  That was due to the JL Audio Cleansweep input level being too high and now that I adjusted it, it doesn't sound all that bad.  Sorry for going off topic here, but there are more people here/ABI who know about high end portable audio gear than on the car audio forums and I thought I'd stop by to learn a thing or two.

Nov 8, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #806 of 1,195
Well, I finally got to hear the HM602 yesterday. It is a brilliant machine, but I wasn't able to use it with music I am familiar with and the stock cable (that doesn't work for anything but charging for YOOSS), didn't do anything for me, even DAC. Eventually, I'll get to try it out properly (hope I). The earphones are impressive, for sure - for me, more impressive in some ways than the machine is. Again, I didn't really get to spend the time I wanted with either, but that time will come.

Good on ya, Head Direct.

Nov 8, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #807 of 1,195

Quote:
I didn't really get to spend the time I wanted with either, but that time will come.

It sure will. I still don't understand why I left the working cable at home and carried the stock cable that was dirty and not working.

Nov 8, 2010 at 2:46 AM Post #808 of 1,195

Quote:
Well, I finally got to hear the HM602 yesterday. It is a brilliant machine, but I wasn't able to use it with music I am familiar with and the stock cable (that doesn't work for anything but charging for YOOSS), didn't do anything for me, even DAC. Eventually, I'll get to try it out properly (hope I). The earphones are impressive, for sure - for me, more impressive in some ways than the machine is. Again, I didn't really get to spend the time I wanted with either, but that time will come.

Good on ya, Head Direct.

Hm. Does that mean we can expect a review of the earphones sometime in the next couple of months?

Nov 8, 2010 at 3:18 AM Post #809 of 1,195
I doubt it. They are nice, but the original owner just sold them, so next time I hear the HM602, it will be through my headphones/earphones. From the music (that I am not that familiar with) that I heard yesterday, and from the music I am familiar with though only with about a 5-10 minute audition, I can say that they are quite evenly spaced with good bass, but nothing too liberal. They are even slightly laid back on an iPod, but overall, fit everything quite nicely. Quite a difference to the Final Audio FI-BA-A1 that YOOSS tried! Both excellent. The earphones that come with the HM602 are definitely made quite well, with a good stock cable, good cinch, and what seems like a sturdy y-split. I think the asking price is in line with the expectations I have for their performance.

Nov 8, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #810 of 1,195

Quote:
I doubt it. They are nice, but the original owner just sold them, so next time I hear the HM602, it will be through my headphones/earphones.

People here are so cautious, it is possible that he return the phones. I doubt he will after hearing it, but you never know what will happen in the future, so maybe you'll get to hear them one more time or I can lend them to you for about a week or two with the player a few weeks later. 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back