Hifiman Ananda
Aug 20, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #4,906 of 4,987
It's nearly 4 AM, but I'm finding myself restless, so I may as well write up about what I feel like is a contender (or at least tied) for my new favorite headphone with the Ananda Nano. This write up will compare the Nano to the Ananda Stealth V2 and Ananda Stealth V3. It's the sort of comprehensive comparison I was hoping someone else would have done by now, but it seems like everyone else is waiting for somebody else to jump ship. The comparisons here were done via the Schiit Bifrost Multibit fed into the Schiit Jotunheim 1 (XLR) and the Schiit Lyr+, as well as run off an xDuoo Link2 Bal.

For the past 5 years, I relied on mainly Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro's for everyday use between music and gaming. Those were only ever sounded listenable (but also exceptional) on a Valhalla 2. Any other source I had tried, particularly solid state, would just be unbearable with that treble peak. Unfortunately, a few months ago my roommate's new dog had gotten into them and showed what no amount of build quality could survive. Ever since then, I've been back on the audiophile journey looking for a replacement.

Ananda Stealth V2:
Having good things about the Ananda series and not wanting to step "down" from the dt1990, I ordered the Ananda Stealth from Amazon. This was back in April, where there was only mentions of a V2 in the wild, and the weight and impedance suggested what I'd be getting was the V2. What I had received was clearly the V2 given the 440 gram weight and the impedance reading something like 25 ohms on the box. Comparing the Ananda Stealth V2 to the dt1990 (from memory), my experience was rather mixed. The clamp wasn't tight enough to where tilting my head about be enough the flop the headband forward; both of the notches scratched readily when adjusted; one side (always the same side, but at this point I don't remember which anymore) would always seem to magically slip a notch in the same of sitting on my desk and me putting them back on; more worringly, the left side connector didn't seemed to be clamped enough, causing the sound the cut in-and-out with the slightest shift and touch and the connector. I had gotten a Hart cable in hopes that it would fix my issues, but that didn't change the effect.

Sound-wise it was very surprisingly middle-of-the-road and disappointing, too. I don't remember being at all impressed, where my initial impression is that it lacked clarity and sounded a bit muffled. The bass was muddy and it bled into the mids, and the treble was peaky in a harsh in way. For context, I find that I'm more sensitive to lower-treble than mid-treble, so in a way the HD 560S was more fatiguing to me than the DT 1990; this was much in the same way. Ultimately, I was afraid the connector was going to fail on me, but at the time I wasn't as sure about the sound quality as I am now. I returned the Ananda Stealth V2 for a replacement, but what I got back surprised me. I thought there must have been some mistake, because both the impedance and weight on the box were different. An extensive google search only showed a single Reddit post someone asking about this same question, but the conclusion then was that this must have been some sort of printing error, and that there was in fact only ever one Ananda Stealth. However, I just so happened to weigh both the earlier V2 and the V3--there was a clear difference. The first was definitely 440 grams, and the latter was just under 400 grams.

Ananda Stealth V3:
Right off the bat, there was much improvement. Before I thought the V2 was a bit uncomfortable while lacking a strong enough clamp, but here the clamp definitely tighter (in a good way), and the weight was a prominent enough difference that it felt way better on the head. This time, too, the sound quality jumped up a notch. I can't say if there was any discernible difference in resolution, but the imaging and staging was clearer. There was more depth and layering in front of me, and vocals had this strange effect that sounded immediate and intimate in a way that stood out more than even my HD 6xx. At first I didn't like it being so strange, but I've since come to miss that effect. The stage overall I'd describe as "pill-shaped," where there's lots of depth both in front and behind me, but everything on my left and right ears were extremely close (but still with depth). The tuning was the other prominent change. The bass sounded fuller, warmer, but also cleaner and more distinct from the rest of the frequency range. Honestly, I regret not writing about this here sooner to give people a more informative frame of reference on the V2 vs. V3 back in May. Even at the time of this writing, I don't know if there actually has been anyone else I've seen that's had both the V2 and V3 to compare.

However, I still didn't feel quite satisfied with the lack of resolution upgrade coming from the dt1990. The Aurorus Borealis had been on my radar for the past couple of years as a potential upgrade path coming from the dt1990. In the end, I had decided to jump up to the Bori and returned the Ananda Stealth V3. After a few months, I couldn't help but feel like I missed what the Stealth V3 did, and there was the newly released Nano to consider. The biggest thing that stood out to me was the new nanometer diaphragm carried over from the HE1000V2. There was also some hope that maybe if I liked it enough, it could replace the Bori and I could sell it for a net gain in cash. So I ended up giving the Ananda one last chance with the Nano, and boy am I glad I did.

Ananda Nano:
I'm not gonna lie, right off the bat I was immediately blown away with it. When it comes to metal/rock, it's way more fun, engaging, and dynamic than the Stealth variants ever were. A word that grabs out to me is "addicting". It's so captivating that I found it hard to put the headphone down and switch back to anything else for a while there. There's hardly a single quality that I could say the Stealth variants did better than the Nano. The tuning on the bass makes it punch and slam harder than before in ways that remind me of the dt1990. In a way, admittedly, it might almost be pushed too far if you're looking for something that's more neutral or reference, but in my experience it balances out against the treble. For the most part. I'd describe the signature as a subtle V-shape, something that is warm-bright. From memory, this does mean the mids are pulled back a bit relative to both the V2 and the V3. This also leads to the one quality I mentioned missing earlier, which is the vocal forwardness. Vocal clarity is still very strong, but I remember vocals straight-up in my face with the V3, whereas here it's backed to being "normal" or maybe even recessed some.

The soundstage is improved in some ways in my opinion, too. Before, the V3 was pill-shaped. Here with the Nano, I'd describe it as more of an oval. It's easily the widest sounding between the V2, V3, and Nano. Imaging, in terms of the positioning of things, is improved overall, too, though maybe not dramatically so. Instrument separation is probably the weakest improvement, so much so that it's very likely they're the same between the V3 and Nano. Here I wish the instrument separation and layering were even clearer, but you'd probably have to go north of $1k+ for a notable enough improvement here. Timbre is also a subtle quality that may or may not have improved slightly, though this is a quality I would really need to A/B compare to know for sure. Regardless, timbre is probably one of the weaker qualities, but still not bad for the price and not really "plasticky" as some people describe planars. It's just indescribably "off" in a way that the Borealis and Sennheiser HD 6xx aren't. Part of that I think is in the transients and room information, where it gets cut off too short with the Nano. Maybe it's a price to be paid for its intense speed?

One worry that's come back is that the right connector has a similar issue I mentioned with the V2's left connector, in that this time it's slightly loose in a way that has me worrying about its longevity. Also, again, the right notches will slip once regardless of the position I rest my headphones in. These seem to be prevailing issues with the Ananda lineup and something to consider.

Comparing with the Aurorus Borealis:
In terms of subjective enjoyment, I'd say the Nano and Bori are just about neck-and-neck, mainly depending on what you're listening to and what you're listening with. More objectively, the Bori is still a straight up better headphone in more qualities. The Bori has near neutral tuning and edges the line of being inoffensive, safe vs. detailed. Bori's bass is more visceral and tactile in a way I've never heard any headphone pull off so far. It's incredibly textured. With the Nano, it is more punchy, tight, rounded off, but also smoothed over. I actually like both really well, so it depends on what I'm looking for. With the Bori, it shines best with orchestral music. You get what you pay for in microdetail, hearing the bristles and "scratchiness" of cellos & contrabasses glide their bows. Violins and pianos shine in a pristine, in-your-face way.

By contrast, Nano sounds smoothed over in these sorts of details that I miss. What you gain with the Nano instead are in the staging qualities. Bori's stage can sound diffuse and ill-defined in some ways that I wasn't expecting, whereas Nano has a clearly distinct, but wide, boundary in a way I subjectively prefer. This might be me being corrupted from using the dt1990 for so many years. The layers and columns of instruments are better defined, which I find suits the best with something big & grandiose, like in The Lord of the Rings soundtracks. With small orchestra down to quartets is where the Bori and its timbre shines the most. Somewhere in-between, "medium-sized" orchestras or depending on the soundtrack it can be a toss-up depending if you're looking for the timbre & microdetail or if you're looking to pick part instruments more clearly. For rock/metal, it's been a toss up in what's more enjoyable. If those are your primary genres, I would decide based on both your tolerance for treble and whether you want something pure neutral (Bori) vs. something more bass & treble forward (Nano).

Treble is another stark difference. As said with the Bori, it rides the line of trying not to be offensive or harsh while also trying to min-max the detail it can bring. With the Nano, it arguably pushes it north of that line, depending who you are or what frequency ranges you're most sensitive to. For me, it's hardly been offensive or wince-worthy save for some few songs in some specific moments, but neither the Bori nor the Nano never been outright sibilant in way that the dt1990's could be. One flaw I have with the Bori is its lack of air, whereas arguably the Nano might have too much air, possibly being a contributing factor to the timbre not being in the same league.

One of the final reasons I had decided to change with the Ananda Nano was gaming. I play FPSes competitively, and I really appreciate the ability to pinpoint any single sound around you in a 3D bubble around you. This was a quality that the Bori sort of lacked and I missed with the dt1990. Technically you can still do this with any headphone to any reasonably degree, even the HD 6xx, but it's that spherical and an immediacy that's necessary to someone behind you at exactly 7 o'clock vs. 5 o'clock that might mean hitting a shot or missing. This a quality that I can tangibly and measurably show a difference with the Audiospatial 8 test on Aimlabs, of which before I've ranked top 50 with the dt1990. It's less about whether or not you can pinpoint a sound surrounding you, and more about the reaction time of how quick your brain can realize exactly where something is vs. the hesitation it takes with a measurable difference. I'm happy to say that the Nano is on par with the dt1990 in this sort of quality, which translates to immersive gaming as well. The Bori isn't necessarily bad in this regard (to the point I'd describe as average), but sounds bleed together more and the soundscape is more wide than deep in a way that can be registered as confusing and less immersive.

I've exhausted everything that's come to mind, but feel free to ask any other questions for anything I might have missed!

Aug 25, 2023 at 9:11 AM Post #4,907 of 4,987
How is Ananda Nano to drive?
Can ibasso DX320X or Cayin N7 drive it?
I had Ananda 5years ago with Hugo but at the end i sold it and preferred Arya OG

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #4,908 of 4,987
I recently purchased the Ananda Nanos and they had significant channel imbalance with the right side sounding noticeably louder. I've listened to them probably 20 hours so far. They sounded impressive but I noticed more detail on the right side and overall everything seemed to pull to the right to annoy me enough into investigating further.

After doing a bit of research, I was able to verify the imbalance by switching songs to mono and running frequency sweeps then changing the direction the earpads were sitting on my head so if the right pad was on my left ear it was noticeably louder in every scenario. I also tried different sources to rule out the source being at fault.

Returning these now and have an order for another pair but don't really know what I'll get if the new ones are also poor quality.

Aug 26, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #4,909 of 4,987
Fantastic write up, thanks for sharing @Dekameter
Is Nano the easier to drive?
It's nearly 4 AM, but I'm finding myself restless, so I may as well write up about what I feel like is a contender (or at least tied) for my new favorite headphone with the Ananda Nano. This write up will compare the Nano to the Ananda Stealth V2 and Ananda Stealth V3. It's the sort of comprehensive comparison I was hoping someone else would have done by now, but it seems like everyone else is waiting for somebody else to jump ship. The comparisons here were done via the Schiit Bifrost Multibit fed into the Schiit Jotunheim 1 (XLR) and the Schiit Lyr+, as well as run off an xDuoo Link2 Bal.

For the past 5 years, I relied on mainly Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro's for everyday use between music and gaming. Those were only ever sounded listenable (but also exceptional) on a Valhalla 2. Any other source I had tried, particularly solid state, would just be unbearable with that treble peak. Unfortunately, a few months ago my roommate's new dog had gotten into them and showed what no amount of build quality could survive. Ever since then, I've been back on the audiophile journey looking for a replacement.

Ananda Stealth V2:
Having good things about the Ananda series and not wanting to step "down" from the dt1990, I ordered the Ananda Stealth from Amazon. This was back in April, where there was only mentions of a V2 in the wild, and the weight and impedance suggested what I'd be getting was the V2. What I had received was clearly the V2 given the 440 gram weight and the impedance reading something like 25 ohms on the box. Comparing the Ananda Stealth V2 to the dt1990 (from memory), my experience was rather mixed. The clamp wasn't tight enough to where tilting my head about be enough the flop the headband forward; both of the notches scratched readily when adjusted; one side (always the same side, but at this point I don't remember which anymore) would always seem to magically slip a notch in the same of sitting on my desk and me putting them back on; more worringly, the left side connector didn't seemed to be clamped enough, causing the sound the cut in-and-out with the slightest shift and touch and the connector. I had gotten a Hart cable in hopes that it would fix my issues, but that didn't change the effect.

Sound-wise it was very surprisingly middle-of-the-road and disappointing, too. I don't remember being at all impressed, where my initial impression is that it lacked clarity and sounded a bit muffled. The bass was muddy and it bled into the mids, and the treble was peaky in a harsh in way. For context, I find that I'm more sensitive to lower-treble than mid-treble, so in a way the HD 560S was more fatiguing to me than the DT 1990; this was much in the same way. Ultimately, I was afraid the connector was going to fail on me, but at the time I wasn't as sure about the sound quality as I am now. I returned the Ananda Stealth V2 for a replacement, but what I got back surprised me. I thought there must have been some mistake, because both the impedance and weight on the box were different. An extensive google search only showed a single Reddit post someone asking about this same question, but the conclusion then was that this must have been some sort of printing error, and that there was in fact only ever one Ananda Stealth. However, I just so happened to weigh both the earlier V2 and the V3--there was a clear difference. The first was definitely 440 grams, and the latter was just under 400 grams.

Ananda Stealth V3:
Right off the bat, there was much improvement. Before I thought the V2 was a bit uncomfortable while lacking a strong enough clamp, but here the clamp definitely tighter (in a good way), and the weight was a prominent enough difference that it felt way better on the head. This time, too, the sound quality jumped up a notch. I can't say if there was any discernible difference in resolution, but the imaging and staging was clearer. There was more depth and layering in front of me, and vocals had this strange effect that sounded immediate and intimate in a way that stood out more than even my HD 6xx. At first I didn't like it being so strange, but I've since come to miss that effect. The stage overall I'd describe as "pill-shaped," where there's lots of depth both in front and behind me, but everything on my left and right ears were extremely close (but still with depth). The tuning was the other prominent change. The bass sounded fuller, warmer, but also cleaner and more distinct from the rest of the frequency range. Honestly, I regret not writing about this here sooner to give people a more informative frame of reference on the V2 vs. V3 back in May. Even at the time of this writing, I don't know if there actually has been anyone else I've seen that's had both the V2 and V3 to compare.

However, I still didn't feel quite satisfied with the lack of resolution upgrade coming from the dt1990. The Aurorus Borealis had been on my radar for the past couple of years as a potential upgrade path coming from the dt1990. In the end, I had decided to jump up to the Bori and returned the Ananda Stealth V3. After a few months, I couldn't help but feel like I missed what the Stealth V3 did, and there was the newly released Nano to consider. The biggest thing that stood out to me was the new nanometer diaphragm carried over from the HE1000V2. There was also some hope that maybe if I liked it enough, it could replace the Bori and I could sell it for a net gain in cash. So I ended up giving the Ananda one last chance with the Nano, and boy am I glad I did.

Ananda Nano:
I'm not gonna lie, right off the bat I was immediately blown away with it. When it comes to metal/rock, it's way more fun, engaging, and dynamic than the Stealth variants ever were. A word that grabs out to me is "addicting". It's so captivating that I found it hard to put the headphone down and switch back to anything else for a while there. There's hardly a single quality that I could say the Stealth variants did better than the Nano. The tuning on the bass makes it punch and slam harder than before in ways that remind me of the dt1990. In a way, admittedly, it might almost be pushed too far if you're looking for something that's more neutral or reference, but in my experience it balances out against the treble. For the most part. I'd describe the signature as a subtle V-shape, something that is warm-bright. From memory, this does mean the mids are pulled back a bit relative to both the V2 and the V3. This also leads to the one quality I mentioned missing earlier, which is the vocal forwardness. Vocal clarity is still very strong, but I remember vocals straight-up in my face with the V3, whereas here it's backed to being "normal" or maybe even recessed some.

The soundstage is improved in some ways in my opinion, too. Before, the V3 was pill-shaped. Here with the Nano, I'd describe it as more of an oval. It's easily the widest sounding between the V2, V3, and Nano. Imaging, in terms of the positioning of things, is improved overall, too, though maybe not dramatically so. Instrument separation is probably the weakest improvement, so much so that it's very likely they're the same between the V3 and Nano. Here I wish the instrument separation and layering were even clearer, but you'd probably have to go north of $1k+ for a notable enough improvement here. Timbre is also a subtle quality that may or may not have improved slightly, though this is a quality I would really need to A/B compare to know for sure. Regardless, timbre is probably one of the weaker qualities, but still not bad for the price and not really "plasticky" as some people describe planars. It's just indescribably "off" in a way that the Borealis and Sennheiser HD 6xx aren't. Part of that I think is in the transients and room information, where it gets cut off too short with the Nano. Maybe it's a price to be paid for its intense speed?

One worry that's come back is that the right connector has a similar issue I mentioned with the V2's left connector, in that this time it's slightly loose in a way that has me worrying about its longevity. Also, again, the right notches will slip once regardless of the position I rest my headphones in. These seem to be prevailing issues with the Ananda lineup and something to consider.

Comparing with the Aurorus Borealis:
In terms of subjective enjoyment, I'd say the Nano and Bori are just about neck-and-neck, mainly depending on what you're listening to and what you're listening with. More objectively, the Bori is still a straight up better headphone in more qualities. The Bori has near neutral tuning and edges the line of being inoffensive, safe vs. detailed. Bori's bass is more visceral and tactile in a way I've never heard any headphone pull off so far. It's incredibly textured. With the Nano, it is more punchy, tight, rounded off, but also smoothed over. I actually like both really well, so it depends on what I'm looking for. With the Bori, it shines best with orchestral music. You get what you pay for in microdetail, hearing the bristles and "scratchiness" of cellos & contrabasses glide their bows. Violins and pianos shine in a pristine, in-your-face way.

By contrast, Nano sounds smoothed over in these sorts of details that I miss. What you gain with the Nano instead are in the staging qualities. Bori's stage can sound diffuse and ill-defined in some ways that I wasn't expecting, whereas Nano has a clearly distinct, but wide, boundary in a way I subjectively prefer. This might be me being corrupted from using the dt1990 for so many years. The layers and columns of instruments are better defined, which I find suits the best with something big & grandiose, like in The Lord of the Rings soundtracks. With small orchestra down to quartets is where the Bori and its timbre shines the most. Somewhere in-between, "medium-sized" orchestras or depending on the soundtrack it can be a toss-up depending if you're looking for the timbre & microdetail or if you're looking to pick part instruments more clearly. For rock/metal, it's been a toss up in what's more enjoyable. If those are your primary genres, I would decide based on both your tolerance for treble and whether you want something pure neutral (Bori) vs. something more bass & treble forward (Nano).

Treble is another stark difference. As said with the Bori, it rides the line of trying not to be offensive or harsh while also trying to min-max the detail it can bring. With the Nano, it arguably pushes it north of that line, depending who you are or what frequency ranges you're most sensitive to. For me, it's hardly been offensive or wince-worthy save for some few songs in some specific moments, but neither the Bori nor the Nano never been outright sibilant in way that the dt1990's could be. One flaw I have with the Bori is its lack of air, whereas arguably the Nano might have too much air, possibly being a contributing factor to the timbre not being in the same league.

One of the final reasons I had decided to change with the Ananda Nano was gaming. I play FPSes competitively, and I really appreciate the ability to pinpoint any single sound around you in a 3D bubble around you. This was a quality that the Bori sort of lacked and I missed with the dt1990. Technically you can still do this with any headphone to any reasonably degree, even the HD 6xx, but it's that spherical and an immediacy that's necessary to someone behind you at exactly 7 o'clock vs. 5 o'clock that might mean hitting a shot or missing. This a quality that I can tangibly and measurably show a difference with the Audiospatial 8 test on Aimlabs, of which before I've ranked top 50 with the dt1990. It's less about whether or not you can pinpoint a sound surrounding you, and more about the reaction time of how quick your brain can realize exactly where something is vs. the hesitation it takes with a measurable difference. I'm happy to say that the Nano is on par with the dt1990 in this sort of quality, which translates to immersive gaming as well. The Bori isn't necessarily bad in this regard (to the point I'd describe as average), but sounds bleed together more and the soundscape is more wide than deep in a way that can be registered as confusing and less immersive.

I've exhausted everything that's come to mind, but feel free to ask any other questions for anything I might have missed!

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #4,910 of 4,987
Fantastic write up, thanks for sharing @Dekameter
Is Nano the easier to drive?
I didn't notice any significant difference in driveability (drivability?) but maybe it's slightly more efficient. I can say it doesn't really degrade in bass when I use my xDuoo Link2 Bal when running balanced. When I use the Apple dongle on Android, I'm just barely below max volume playing Nobody by Avenged Sevenfold. The bass gets looser and less controlled off the Apple dongle, and the treble starts to get to me more.

Aug 28, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #4,911 of 4,987
Happy to report my new Ananda Nano is much better balanced than the old one.

I'm enjoying the sound of these. Especially coming off using a set of Beyerdynamic DT 700 X Pros. I've been out of the over ears headphone game for some time now but decided to treat myself with these to get a taste of planar technology.

The mids hit just right and aren't as recessed sounding as most headphone profiles seem these days, which tend to overemphasise low-mids/high bass and highs and while scooping the mids (From what I've noticed), The sub bass extension is pretty impressive to me to have such deep sub bass in a pair of headphones. Even going to back to the 700 X Pro I had before, which are decently bass heavy, those rolled off significantly with sub bass and sounded very compressed compared to the Nano.

The detail and separation are nice. I've had quite a few moments listening to songs and noticing pretty significant nuances that I hadn't heard previously in songs I've listened to hundreds of times. I guess this would be layering and seperation that I had never heard on my other headphones/earbuds.

They sound nicely musical to me and I'm pretty sensitive to analytical or overly bright headphones. I owned some beyer dynamic DT 880s several years ago and those were far too analytical for me so I returned them. They can be a bit too bright on some music though if the recordings are naturally bright and mastered digitally but on older analog mastered recordings they sound almost perfect. (I normally play 44.1khz 16 bit flacs).

The soundstage isnt as wide as I imagined but it works fine for me. The sound stage is there when the music or whatever calls for it but otherwise the headphones are pretty mid forward and I like that (I owned a pair of HD 650s several years ago and I liked their mid forward smaller sound stage presentation. I also have to say the dt 700 pro x has a very impressive sound stage for closed backs...).

QC is a big concern though. The previous Nanos I had with imbalance were in a closed sealed box but the headphone strap was noticiably more loose and felt worn in compared to the new Nanos I've received so I wonder if they just repackaged a return in a sealed closed box...

I also don't have the greatest sources. I have a passthrough USB - C cable that came with my phone, an iFi go link and a creative G6. The usb - c passthrough cable actually sounds best with the most transparency and dynamics... It doesn't have enough volume to drive the headphones though so I've just been using the iFi go link on my phone and laptop and g6 with gaming and movies. The iFi go link also sounds slightly better than the g6 to me with more detail. So I wonder if I would benefit at all getting something like an RU7 for mobile use and something else for PS5/movies or if it would be a waste of money without much difference in sound quality since these are such low impedence?

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #4,912 of 4,987
Aug 30, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #4,914 of 4,987
Yes, and I think it works really well with it, DX320 has more than plenty power for Ananda Nano, and it offers a really dynamic and punchy sound!
I had R9 recently but it’s not a planar plus it’s 100db but 32ohm and Nano is 14ohm/94db…. Maybe would be harder to drive but not impossible to get a good performance 😊

Aug 31, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #4,915 of 4,987
Any updates on ananda v2 vs v3?
Also how does the ananda compare to xs and ananda BT?
I know I'm a few months late to respond to this but I currently have both the XS, the Ananda v3, and the Ananda Nano. I was so disappointed to find the v3 ananda to sound more dead and basically muffled in comparison to the XS which sounds much more clear and alive IMHO. I was also very surprised to find the Nano to be the opposite, super hyped with an unnaturally bright high end and artificially bloated mid bass. It actually sounds great if you're looking for a U shaped sound signature, it just wasn't what I was looking for (a natural perhaps only slightly v shaped signature with bright but linear upper mids/treble). So far I can't seem to find anything better than the XS, would be really curious to try the v2 ananda but there's no where I can try all these in person without continuing to buy and return these online…

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #4,916 of 4,987
For the past couple of weeks I've been using the Ananda Stealth V2 that I had ordered on Amazon for $550 new. Unfortunately my dog went to town on my DT 1990 Pro's a couple of months ago and only recently got the funds to replace them with something else. For reference, I've had those 1990's for 5 years now, but they really only sounded their best on the stock Valhalla 2. My experience coming from a Bifrost 1 Multibit > Valhalla 2 > dt1990's (analytical pads) to a Bifrost 1 Multibit > Jotunheim 1 (balanced) > Ananda Stealth ended with me not really as impressed as I was hoping to me. In some ways it did sound more resolving, more clear, and noticeably less distortion (particularly in the bass). I missed the 1990's comparative punch, warmth, and sparkle. I wouldn't call the V2 Ananda dry by any means, but it wasn't as rich in the mids when compared to the dt1990's on tubes. Treble came off as more accurate and less splashy on the Ananda's, though I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss how that splashy treble sounded with cymbals. I will say overall on solid state, the V2 Ananda's knocked the socks off the dt1990's, where the latter was basically unlistenable on any solid state source I've tried. I tried the V2 Ananda on the Valhalla 2, but there the amp's natural treble graininess shined through way too much and it was pretty grating to listen to.

The most confusing thing for me was the staging changes, where the dt1990's sounded like several concentric circles around me with utter precision where everything was positioned in a 360 degree view around me. With the V2 Ananda's, the staging is a lot different from that, where there's definitely more depth, but it's a lot more pill-shaped. The farthest points were both ahead and behind me, with the closest behind right next to my ears. It seemed like a part of this was the Ananda's ability to get a lot closer than what the dt1990's could do. It came off as very strange to me. Added to that, the imaging/positioning didn't seem on the same level as the dt1990's, particularly when it came to gaming. It was noticeably more difficult to pinpoint how far people and their relative angles. On the bright side, the instrument separation was on a whole tier above, particularly with vocals being more clearly separated from everything else (even if pushed back a bit).

One last point was comfort. I wouldn't call the dt1990's light by any means, but it wasn't exactly heavy either. It struck a balance on weight and clamp that made it possible to use 24/7 at a desk, but nowhere else. With the V2 Ananda, the weight gain from 370 to 440 grams was definitely noticeable. The clamp was tighter despite the fact it felt a lot less stable if I ever tilted my head. Like with some others, the clamp was lot on my lower jaw that made it difficult to use for more than a few hours at a time.

With these points in mind, I was considering returning the V2 Ananda's and dropping back down to a new pair of dt1990's for a comparative $470 instead. Additionally, I noticed since day 1 that the right jack was easily susceptible to cutting out if I lightly bumped or touched the right cable where it plugged in, both with the stock cable and with a Hart modular cable. With a lot of people talking about the Hifiman QC, I was worried this would get worse over time. I opted to give the Ananda another shot, so I processed a replacement through Amazon. This time it was through Hifiman's official Amazon shop, whereas the previous Amazon shop was "Audio Advisor, Inc."

Yesterday I received what appears to be the V3 Ananda Stealth, with the 16 ohms @ 92 dB (I assume /mW) sensitivity labelled on the box. From my 1 day experience so far, I already easily notice a difference. I was confused how everyone described the V2 Ananda as being warm, when it was more neutral-bright to my ears. Despite the dt1990's having that massive treble spike, the V2 Ananda's treble was raised overall and came off as more fatiguing. With the V3 Ananda, it's like someone put an EQ that raised the midbass (in a muddier, not in more punch way) and lowered the treble. The soundstage is a little bit wider and the positioning is more clear to me than before, at least enough so it's not really problematic for FPS gaming for me anymore. I don't think it's been nearly long enough to say yet, but it does seem like it comes at the cost of some clarity compared to before. I can't really tell if there's a loss in detail, but I've never been great at discerning resolution. The vocals are noticeably more present, central, and in my face than before. However, the biggest difference for me was the comfort. I weighed the V3 and it was 400 grams on the dot. Weirdly enough, the notches on the handband shifted for me, too. Before, I could only where the V2 Ananda with 2 clicks, but with the V3 it's more like 4-5 clicks. The weight loss and notch difference was a much better comfort experience for me.

One last thing of note--the whole reason I returned the V2 Ananda's, now both the jacks have that cutting out problem if bumped. Hopefully that's just a "feature" and is expected enough from Hifiman's where it won't get worse over time, if anyone can comment on that.
Hi can you share if you find v3 with low sensitivity more difficult to drive than v2? I think they just put the unit from Edition XS in Ananda for cost saving

Sep 2, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #4,917 of 4,987
Hi can you share if you find v3 with low sensitivity more difficult to drive than v2? I think they just put the unit from Edition XS in Ananda for cost saving
The V2 vs. V3 was very similar in how much gain I needed but if I remember right was slightly more efficient. I imagine that depends on if your amp gets current limited at 16 vs. 32 Ohms, which is the case for my dongle. From what I've seen of other reviews of the V2, it's more efficient than the XS, but I've never had nor listened to the XS myself.

Sep 2, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #4,918 of 4,987
I know I'm a few months late to respond to this but I currently have both the XS, the Ananda v3, and the Ananda Nano. I was so disappointed to find the v3 ananda to sound more dead and basically muffled in comparison to the XS which sounds much more clear and alive IMHO. I was also very surprised to find the Nano to be the opposite, super hyped with an unnaturally bright high end and artificially bloated mid bass. It actually sounds great if you're looking for a U shaped sound signature, it just wasn't what I was looking for (a natural perhaps only slightly v shaped signature with bright but linear upper mids/treble). So far I can't seem to find anything better than the XS, would be really curious to try the v2 ananda but there's no where I can try all these in person without continuing to buy and return these online…
I agree where I wouldn't consider the Nano neutral by any means. It's first and foremost exciting and fun more than it is flat (though not so much to the point of ruining orchestral works IME). If someone is prioritizes a relaxed, natural sound signature and genres that benefit from such, there's better options out there than the Nano for cheaper. I actually would have gone with the XS before, but the headband was what put me off from the idea of getting one over the Ananda. I would have just saved the money with that, otherwise.

Sep 3, 2023 at 2:11 AM Post #4,919 of 4,987
The V2 vs. V3 was very similar in how much gain I needed but if I remember right was slightly more efficient. I imagine that depends on if your amp gets current limited at 16 vs. 32 Ohms, which is the case for my dongle. From what I've seen of other reviews of the V2, it's more efficient than the XS, but I've never had nor listened to the XS myself.
Thank you

Sep 3, 2023 at 6:05 AM Post #4,920 of 4,987
I agree where I wouldn't consider the Nano neutral by any means. It's first and foremost exciting and fun more than it is flat (though not so much to the point of ruining orchestral works IME). If someone is prioritizes a relaxed, natural sound signature and genres that benefit from such, there's better options out there than the Nano for cheaper. I actually would have gone with the XS before, but the headband was what put me off from the idea of getting one over the Ananda. I would have just saved the money with that, otherwise.
Again looks like Nano would be what I’m looking for.
I don’t want a boring set, but something fun and not colored as HE-R9.
I missed highs and mids were muddy on R9.
I’d like something close IEMs in CAN format😊
With Ananda OG I had some harshness on mids, and metallic timbre, hoping Nano solved it and got more transparency also ☺️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back