HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Dec 17, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #11,386 of 11,921
The HE1000SE is definitely the best choice I supposed, but the price it's pretty high even in the used market, the organic seem to be the best choice from price/sound value at this point
I agree , the 1000HE in the European market is at 2.5K which is over 1000 euros more expensive compared to the Organic.

Dec 18, 2023 at 6:20 PM Post #11,389 of 11,921
How is gaming and movie watching with the Arya Organic?
I use the Organic for movies on my Apple TV. Used the BTR5 via Bluetooth connection, but switched to the Shanling H7 (Toslink connection to my beamer) and the soundstage is just insane. Sometimes a little too much. You hear sound effects that you wouldn’t hear with speakers..

I also use it for gaming on my Pc/PS5. Same connection as before or USB-C on my Pc. Sound is very good too but like Hanum said before, you will not have microphone while using the Organic.

Dec 19, 2023 at 1:48 AM Post #11,390 of 11,921
I use the Organic for movies on my Apple TV. Used the BTR5 via Bluetooth connection, but switched to the Shanling H7 (Toslink connection to my beamer) and the soundstage is just insane. Sometimes a little too much. You hear sound effects that you wouldn’t hear with speakers..

I also use it for gaming on my Pc/PS5. Same connection as before or USB-C on my Pc. Sound is very good too but like Hanum said before, you will not have microphone while using the Organic.
Thx, I've already ordered them, so I'm just getting info on things videos didn't cover. I do already own a pair of Beyer Tygr 300r headphones and a dedicated microphone, so if these are a little to spacious for games than I'm good. The last "overly spacious" headphones I owned were the m1060 planars. What's the Soundstage compared to something like a m1060?

Dec 20, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #11,391 of 11,921
Just got the organic today and WOW they're very good. Much better than the m1060's I had, and miles above in clarity compared to my Denon d5200. The highs are crystalline, the mids keep voices forward and the bass is never over emphasized, and keeps surprising me when the sub lows come in (also huge soundstage). I really can't say if they're worth 1300$ but I've tried so many headphones ranging to the d5200 that was 700$ msrp and the Arya organic definitely commands a price above that. I got them for 999$ open box with a free Dragon fly cobalt dac. One note on the dac, it actually sounds great, as long as you don't need to turn the volume to high... it powers the organic just fine with my zflip 5, but HEAVILY distorts at anything above say.... 80% volume.

Dec 20, 2023 at 11:47 PM Post #11,394 of 11,921
I have a JDS Element II, but I was a little exited for the dragonfly before I saw "Audio science" review it lol. It does the job for portable use, but sure as h** isn't worth 300$, maybe 50?
Um, I’ll gladly take it off your hands for $50…

The real issue you’re running into is that the Dragonfly can’t supply nearly enough current for the Arya. It’s silly that the Dragonfly was included as a pack in with the Arya (the retailer must have needed to move some overstock). If you use it on the go, the Arya needs a heftier portable amp like hanumanbob suggested above (Gryphon, Mojo, etc), and even then, it’s still current starved. The Arya really isn’t great for mobile/portable use and IMO is best paired with a decently powerful, full-size solid state amp sitting on a desk/shelf/cabinet.

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2023 at 11:54 PM Post #11,395 of 11,921

The real issue you’re running into is that the Dragonfly can’t supply nearly enough current for the Arya. It’s silly that the Dragonfly was included as a pack in with the Arya (the retailer must have needed to move some overstock). If you use it on the go, the Arya needs a heftier portable amp like hanumanbob suggested above (Gryphon, Mojo, etc), and even then, it’s still current starved. The Arya really isn’t great for mobile/portable use and IMO is best paired with a decently powerful, full-size solid state amp sitting on a desk/shelf/cabinet.
Ha, I didn't mean to under sell it too much, as I said in one of my posts, it really does sound great. At 70-80% volume it gives just enough volume, I'm just surprised they didn't try to hide any distortion past that. I'm definitely keeping the dragonfly 😂

Dec 20, 2023 at 11:59 PM Post #11,396 of 11,921
Ha, I didn't mean to under sell it too much, as I said in one of my posts, it really does sound great. At 70-80% volume it gives just enough volume, I'm just surprised they didn't try to hide any distortion past that. I'm definitely keeping the dragonfly 😂
What you’re experiencing should be specific to the Arya, not the Dragonfly. Those headphones (like many other planars) need some current, and as you increase the volume, the current demand increases. If the headphones don’t get it, they crap out.

However, if that distortion does happen at the same exact spot in the volume range across multiple different headphones, then that means the Dragonfly is busted and should be returned/exchanged. If you haven’t already, I would test with something of different sensitivity and/or impedance from the Arya.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023 at 12:13 AM Post #11,397 of 11,921

Get the woo audio mini it has enough power to run it and current.

Dec 21, 2023 at 12:21 AM Post #11,398 of 11,921
What you’re experiencing should be specific to the Arya, not the Dragonfly. Those headphones (like many other planars) need some current, and as you increase the volume, the current demand increases. If the headphones don’t get it, they crap out.

However, if that distortion does happen at the same exact spot in the volume range across multiple different headphones, then that means the Dragonfly is busted and should be returned/exchanged. If you haven’t already, I would test with something of totally different sensitivity and/or impedance from the Arya.
OK, that definitely sounds about right. I was correlating my experience with the Audio science review, that pointed out some interesting distortion handling. I will try something more sensitive and see.

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023 at 12:46 AM Post #11,399 of 11,921

However, if that distortion does happen at the same exact spot in the volume range across multiple different headphones, then that means the Dragonfly is busted and should be returned/exchanged. If you haven’t already, I would test with something of different sensitivity and/or impedance from the Arya.
Just tried with the d5200's and almost blew my head off...😁 Can confirm the Arya wants more power. I made a dumb mistake in thinking I could hear the measured distortion at high volume, and didn't know what you stated. I've actually always used a desk amp, so I've never really experienced low current problems until today.

Dec 21, 2023 at 1:15 AM Post #11,400 of 11,921
Just tried with the d5200's and almost blew my head off...😁 Can confirm the Arya wants more power. I made a dumb mistake in thinking I could hear the measured distortion at high volume, and didn't know what you stated. I've actually always used a desk amp, so I've never really experienced low current problems until today.
Eesh. Sorry, I hope you at least turned the volume down before swapping headphones! Ouch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back