HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Oct 22, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #5,611 of 11,921
Anyone using their Arya's with Chord Qutest DAC? Impressions? I'm trying to decide if I want to move on to a R2R DAC.
I was using my Arya V2 with Qutest -> Burson Soloist 3xp, it was great and I don't feel too bright or digital... I also have a TT2 and Arya also sounds really good on the TT2 headphone jacks, not as smooth or warm as Soloist, but still very much enjoyable. But now I swapped Qutest with Srping 3 KTE, and I love it even more, it just sounds more realistic. The bottom line is I think I do prefer R2R over Chord stuff a little bit, but Arya pair with Qutest or TT2 is also great, I still find myself come back to TT2 time to time with Arya

Oct 22, 2021 at 4:55 PM Post #5,613 of 11,921
What DAC have you used previously? I also have the Soloist and was wondering if I should update my DAC to the Pontus II. What about the pairing do you love most.
Coming from a D90, nfb 11 , Ares 2, now the Pontus 2. Well the Pontus makes everything sound natural Bigger more analogue sounding no digital sharpness or glare. Everything is more spaced out depth and layers I can never go back to using a chip DAC after using R2R. The Pontus the Bass has more texture more tight defined. There is nothing I don't like about it. Weighs 8pounds built like a tank.

Oct 22, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #5,614 of 11,921
I was using my Arya V2 with Qutest -> Burson Soloist 3xp, it was great and I don't feel too bright or digital... I also have a TT2 and Arya also sounds really good on the TT2 headphone jacks, not as smooth or warm as Soloist, but still very much enjoyable. But now I swapped Qutest with Srping 3 KTE, and I love it even more, it just sounds more realistic. The bottom line is I think I do prefer R2R over Chord stuff a little bit, but Arya pair with Qutest or TT2 is also great, I still find myself come back to TT2 time to time with Arya
Where did you order your Spring 3 KTE from? Pre-amp version? And does it have the humming issue?

Oct 22, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #5,615 of 11,921
I could not be happier with my recent move to Lyr 3 to drive Arya. Lyr's slight warm tilt adds body where Arya's sound was way too dry on A90, and emphasizes the mids just enough to take the edge off the treble where it was a bit too bright on A90. Finding the right synergy between your amp & Arya really is key.
What tubes are you using for the Lyr 3? Tried any rolling? Would love to hear others' impressions using the Lyr 3 and the Arya and what tube rolling does for them.

Oct 22, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #5,616 of 11,921
Schiit Lyr 3 with CV-181-Z tube. I also tried the Arya on an OPT tube amp (Tor Audio Balanced). Not quite enough power delivery for Aryas from the Tor and the tubes slowed the delivery/urgency of the Aryas down a bit much. The added power of the Lyr strikes a good amount of tube smoothing without the negatives. I’m sourcing both amps via Bifrost2 DAC which is similarly pretty mellow but clear.
I love the Arya and Lyr 3 combo also! Was wondering if you've tried any other tubes and why you settled on the CV-181-Z.

Oct 22, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #5,617 of 11,921
I love the Arya and Lyr 3 combo also! Was wondering if you've tried any other tubes and why you settled on the CV-181-Z.
I actually rotate through a set of tubes about once every month or so. The CV is nice and good balance of sound, cost, and availability. My current favorite is a NOS MELZ from 1950s as that old Soviet tube is just an awesome combo of sound, smoothed highs, but not too syrupy. I also have a Sophia Electric Blue Glass which is also great (high detail) but not the best cost to value equation. But it is blue and looks very cooI. Lastly, I have two NOS Fotons I haven’t tried yet.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2021 at 10:03 PM Post #5,618 of 11,921
What tubes are you using for the Lyr 3? Tried any rolling? Would love to hear others' impressions using the Lyr 3 and the Arya and what tube rolling does for them.
The stock JJ tube was a bit too bloomy for my taste, so I picked up a 1940s Sylvania 6SN7GT, which to my ears has a very linear detailed sound with just a hint of harmonics, warmth, and tube spacial cues. I was really just looking for the tube to tone down Arya's brighter sharper tendencies and fill out the sound with a bit of warmth without losing the clarity and detail she's so good at. The Sylvania fits the bill perfectly IMO. I haven't tried any other tubes in Lyr so far, but fyi there's a whole thread devoted to this: Lyr 3 Tube Rolling Thread

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #5,619 of 11,921

@LLee7582 I'd throw the MHDT Orchid into your mix for consideration here. I have an Orchid and find it an amazing DAC. I agree the Qutest/3XP work well together.

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #5,620 of 11,921
Where did you order your Spring 3 KTE from? Pre-amp version? And does it have the humming issue?
I ordered from Kitsune, and it is with the preamp module, there’s no humming issue as far as I can tell

Oct 23, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #5,621 of 11,921
Traded my Arya's for a LCD-4 endgame

Attachments

• 20211023_065831~2.jpg
    20211023_065831~2.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Oct 23, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #5,623 of 11,921
Hi would someone help me plz. I have some debris collecting on the mylar driver . Nothing I can do since it has mesh and not dustcover. How do he1000 drivers handle this since they have such an open design where drives is full on exposed where crap gets inside? From dust to crumbles.

Oct 23, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #5,625 of 11,921
How they compare?
We'll compared to the V2 the LCD4 only defeat would be Soundstage. This is my 1st listen of any Audeze cans besides the Penrose. For the V3 vs LCD-4 comparison I have to start with comfort V3 all day beats the LCD4 although I don't find the Weight as much of a issue as some others. Build quality LCD-4 All day the crome and rosewood Its art. Drivability the V2 is easier to drive while the LCD 4 needs huge amounts of power to get the most out of em.
Sound the V3 is more neutral/transparent in the vocals the information is pushed up front of you left n right so u hear alott above average dynamics with a tight punchy bass the highs are not shrill just knows when to pull back when hitting the line. Soundstage is a mixed bag too narrow for me even with a 100hr burn in layering and depth is good the soundspace to me gives me a HD650 vibe.
LCD-4 is like a warm pillow of sound the vocals has a weight n warmth to them also the instruments like guitar strings plucks u can hear n fell the weight and the reverb amazing like all the instruments has a 3D texture to them.
The bass Woah! Goes deep and I never knew bass can have this kind of layers and texture also hits like a ton of bricks when u need it to be fast and accurate fast hitting. This is the most detailed headphone I ever heard although reserved it's all there if u look for it never forced on you feels natural. It's dynamic when the song ask it to be also. Soundstage is like a medium sized circle around my head I can hear great layering and depth in the sound field with great accuracy. The highs will its cut off some so if your treble sensitive this is your headphone.
Conclusion If you want a accurate clean neutral dynamic headphone with a narrow soundstage the V2 is your headphone.
If you want to feel like your in the music feeling the music with warm smooth treble and instrument feels with great bass and want more of a relaxing experience with great detail the LCD-4 would be that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back