HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Jul 24, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #7,966 of 11,921
I do have the Ananda V1 powered by Tidal - - > Topping D10B - - > Monolith 887 balanced way.

I think to step up to Arya V3. Is it worth with metioned setup?

Dekonis Fenestrated are available as well.

Jul 24, 2022 at 11:30 AM Post #7,967 of 11,921
Yes, Arya Stealth is on a completely different level

Jul 24, 2022 at 12:11 PM Post #7,969 of 11,921
No 🎧

Jul 24, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #7,970 of 11,921
So I need a New DAC/Amp as well?
This is all so subjective. I would get the Arya first, see if you like it (I think it’s a huge step up from the Ananda), and then think about it you want to upgrade your source chain.

It seems there are people who really love the Arya out of the super clean THX circuit amps/DAC’s, but I definitely prefer to run it out of a warmer chain. Tube amps, tube hybrids, class A, discrete design, etc. You should find out for yourself first though!

Jul 24, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #7,972 of 11,921
Yep.
Even with EQ and preamp at -7db

Jul 24, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #7,973 of 11,921
I agree, and that was covered in my answer. You need to understand how much you need, and regardless, if you are feeding your load what is needed, you won't ever touch the stored potential power in the amp which means at a certain point, it is entirely possible to be wasting money and fretting over how much extra power one needs to have. I listen to EDM almost exclusively and I have never come close to not having enough power. Are you saying that you have been running out of power?
Sadly EDM isn't a great genre to judge dynamics and amp power as its mostly "loud" :wink:

Jul 24, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #7,974 of 11,921
Sadly EDM isn't a great genre to judge dynamics and amp power as its mostly "loud" :wink:
Dynamics in this discussion were I believe meaning the fact that the signal changes and thus what the amplifier and load were responding too were dynamic (changing as opposed to constant in amplitude). I think the dynamics you are referring to, if I am understanding you, are dynamics in the sense of how much potential difference in amplitude the different musical elements exhibit e.g. the bass guitar is louder than gently plucked strings layered into the background and crash cymbals are louder than a hi-hat strike.

Jul 24, 2022 at 9:27 PM Post #7,975 of 11,921
Dynamics in this discussion were I believe meaning the fact that the signal changes and thus what the amplifier and load were responding too were dynamic (changing as opposed to constant in amplitude). I think the dynamics you are referring to, if I am understanding you, are dynamics in the sense of how much potential difference in amplitude the different musical elements exhibit e.g. the bass guitar is louder than gently plucked strings layered into the background and crash cymbals are louder than a hi-hat strike.
With EDM there is a constant pulsing beat, regardless of how loud or soft other instruments are, so the amp is going along pretty much at the same rate throughout the music. Not so with things like classical, where as the amp will actually lower during various passages, but a high current amp will keep things sounding good at low, and be able to adjust quickly and smoothly to louder passages and anywhere inbetween.

Jul 25, 2022 at 12:37 AM Post #7,976 of 11,921
Hmm, Tried Stealth Arya from Loxjie P20 and Cayin HA-A1 tube-amplifiers, however preferred Magni 3+ over both of them, Arya seems to loose some punch, sub-bass and sharpness without gaining much tonal density etc as dynamic drivers mostly do. Same thing encountered with old HE500, SS was my way to go with it.

Not sure what to say about that other than I know a good Ear Doctor, lol

Jul 25, 2022 at 1:32 AM Post #7,977 of 11,921
...It's always best to have a li'l extra on tap for any "unusual" musical occassions rather than "just enough", IMO....
That's exactly how I see it.

Yesterday evening I heard again really nice and loud EDM, and had to turn up the TA 10R to 90.
I'll measure it out, but my guess is:
Arya Stealth +EQ +EDM very loud needs at least 1.5 watts per channel....

Jul 25, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #7,978 of 11,921
I feel like people always blow up the power requirements. Anything around 1000mw@32ohms should be more than enough. I know it's totally fine at 1400mw@32ohms and at 1200mw@32ohms. The hugo2 pushes less than that, around 740@32ohms but it's still decent, more than decent, although, as anyone using Chord devices knows, pretty cold. Not as good as a desktop class amp but close. One youtube channel was saying that the Arya only requires 40mw to achieve 110 db of dynamic range, not sure of the accuracy of that, but given that I can power it out of a 300mw socket and it's "fine, but not great" it seems like that might be the case.

You mainly get improvements in the bass response. I'm sure that higher power amps are overkill. If you have something like a burson conductor or some ultra powerful tube amp, then you should for sure have a good sounding system no matter what. I bet the majority of that extra power isn't used. It may be equipment synergy is the thing over actual power, but people just focus on the amp power rating as the differentiator.

It's musicality and warmth I'm more interested in over turning my brain into jelly, anyway.

I was watching the dude from "The Directors Garage" telling me he thought the TH-X00 was a "well rounded headphone" the other day which made me question everything he's ever said. I know that thing is a U shaped bass monster that drowns everything in stultifying bass...

"Audiophiles say the darndest things" I guess.....

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #7,979 of 11,921
Here is my EQ if anyone is interested.
1.png

Pretty much perfect. I like my headphone bright though, i didn't touch anything above 5k.

I checked every source. Arya SE have very consistent FR. Hifimans always have. Only difference between rigs seem to be the position of the 4-5k peak. In most reliable sources, it's at 4.9khz. In Crin's measurement it's around 4460hz. There is also corresponding distortion and impedance peak on Amir's measurement in this area. Despite the accuracy, i still used my ears to EQ. This is the final shape of my EQ i settled on.

Arya SE stock sound is great so EQ is not necessary like Ananda in my book.

The bass amount depends on the genre of music and content(movie/game) i'm consuming. This is the sweet spot i've found that works with most stuff. I generally listen my headphones at very low volumes so this elevation in the lows and highs help balancing things out.

Compared to XS and Ananda, i'm noticing that i can listen Arya SE way louder. With more volume it shines even more. XS and Ananda isn't as tight so i never liked those at high volumes. They became blobby and messy at high volume.

Jul 26, 2022 at 2:14 AM Post #7,980 of 11,921
I agree, and that was covered in my answer. You need to understand how much you need, and regardless, if you are feeding your load what is needed, you won't ever touch the stored potential power in the amp which means at a certain point, it is entirely possible to be wasting money and fretting over how much extra power one needs to have. I listen to EDM almost exclusively and I have never come close to not having enough power. Are you saying that you have been running out of power?
Not at all, except when I was driving my Fostex T50RP-mkiii's and Anandas with the FX Audio DAC-X6 that only put out ~950mW max - I've made sure to have at least 2W of power on tap ever since. Since then I've had or still have: a Schiit Magni 3+, a resistor-bypassed Emotiva A-100, a Topping A-30 and A90 (both OG, both sent back), a Schiit Magnius (kept as backup), and finally a Gustard H20 (the best out of all tried/owned). I simply won't go for a hp amp that doesn't output at least 2 watts (unless OTL tubed) because of the lack of flexibility in driving the several different types of hps that I plan on having and listening to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back