Hifiman Edition X
Jun 21, 2022 at 9:27 PM Post #4,021 of 4,030
I would have to same the same thing, I always find your posts useful, balanced and very often thought provoking. This is coupled with being open to a respectful conversation even if opinions differ, and at times I find that there is less of a willingness to listen to dissenting views, so I do appreciate that you are tactful.

I also very much agree with your position to not make a bunch of changes at once, being patient and methodical. I am a fan of blind listening testing, but I'm not sure if that is what you were referring to when you said go blind it's your best chance.
Oh yes. Ego and expectations are enemies and not easily tamed. Sometimes you can, but it's a threat when trying to be clear and free to judge.

I mean we know a Susvara is better than a Sundara. But it might be a lot better in your mind that it actually is if you know beforehand.

Jun 22, 2022 at 12:20 AM Post #4,022 of 4,030
Oh yes. Ego and expectations are enemies and not easily tamed. Sometimes you can, but it's a threat when trying to be clear and free to judge.

I mean we know a Susvara is better than a Sundara. But it might be a lot better in your mind that it actually is if you know beforehand.
Well said, and I agree completely. Expectation bias is the worst confound possible to the exercise of a free mind. Waxing philosophically of course.

Jan 30, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #4,023 of 4,030
Heh, my non-audiophile co-worker found the HEXv2 to be more dynamic and punchy than the Utopia's (2022), albeit from my office setup: Musicbee (FLAC) -> Modi 3 -> CTH (WE 396a) -> :ksc75smile:

Then again, Cavalli amps seem to be designed with planars in mind.

Feb 1, 2023 at 10:31 PM Post #4,024 of 4,030
Heh, my non-audiophile co-worker found the HEXv2 to be more dynamic and punchy than the Utopia's (2022), albeit from my office setup: Musicbee (FLAC) -> Modi 3 -> CTH (WE 396a) -> :ksc75smile:

Then again, Cavalli amps seem to be designed with planars in mind.
Punchy and dynamic? Wow. Dynamic is not what comes to mind with my pair. Lacks bass impact, lacks treble over 10k. Quiet listen, large soundstage, good for early mornings or late nights. More refined than XS, but lacks the popular tuning of the XS.

Feb 1, 2023 at 11:33 PM Post #4,025 of 4,030
Punchy and dynamic? Wow. Dynamic is not what comes to mind with my pair. Lacks bass impact, lacks treble over 10k. Quiet listen, large soundstage, good for early mornings or late nights. More refined than XS, but lacks the popular tuning of the XS.
I would agree. I no longer have my HEXV2, but they would not be a headphone I would call punchy. I very much liked their signature, I listened to them at high playback volume typically, but punchy bass? Not for me. Good extension, but somewhat diffused and slightly soft I thought. Really nice headphone and one that I wish I had never sold.

Feb 2, 2023 at 12:50 AM Post #4,026 of 4,030
I guess you didn't read my post carefully. The chain listed therein is not ideal for the Utopia, so it makes the Utopia sound softer than the HEXv2, the latter of which has better synergy. Also, my non-audiophile co-worker's opinion while listening to that chain in my office. If you see my sig, you can see plenty of cans that outclass the HEXv2 when paired with proper chains.

Feb 2, 2023 at 8:42 AM Post #4,027 of 4,030
I guess you didn't read my post carefully. The chain listed therein is not ideal for the Utopia, so it makes the Utopia sound softer than the HEXv2, the latter of which has better synergy. Also, my non-audiophile co-worker's opinion while listening to that chain in my office. If you see my sig, you can see plenty of cans that outclass the HEXv2 when paired with proper chains
The subtext of the HEX v2 being expected to be softer than the Utopia was not spelled out in your post.

I saw an opportunity to comment on the HEX v2 which I own and like, so I took it. I don't know any of the electronics, and have only spent a few hours on the OG Utopia - so I put in my .02 on the one topic. I believe that is what is done here, or am I mistaken?

Ciao.

Oct 2, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #4,028 of 4,030
So, my HEX v2 were boxed up in a climate controlled area, and after about 9 months of not using/seeing them, I wanted to hear them today.

Whoa, the fake leather stuff on the pads, peeling off, the head facing side of the headband totally peeling. Thanks to XS, the price on these has sunk pretty low. Given the cost of new pads and a headband to make them saleable isn't much less than I could get. The box is still in good shape and will be a nice place for the HEK Stealth if I do buy them.

These were pretty early versions maybe 2015. So, 8 years old. My HE-500's including the crummy head band (but not the OG pads) are in far better shape, and they are about 11-12 years old, and my HE-5LE are in the same shape as the 500's and they are 13 or 14 years old.

Anyone else have peeling early HEK or HEX models? My first really sour experience with HFM headphones (not including the baloney marketing of the 5XX and 5-SE which is a stain that should not be forgotten).

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #4,029 of 4,030
Shame. Not sure. I sold my HEX V2 about 4 years back and they looked as new as could be. To be fair though, I was not really able to listen to music nearly enough with them. Plus I had them in rotation with two other headphones at the time.

I would say if someone was going to treat them well, and use them only about 4 or 5 hours a week which is what I put on them, the HEX V2 would hold up really well.

I guess I'm an outlier in this community, but I enjoyed music more when I wasn't able to listen easily. I had gone into grad school in my very late 40s so music had to take a back seat. However, what I found was that I really appreciated the time that I could spend with headphones and when I did I loved the HEX V2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back