Hifiman Edition XS Launched
Jan 28, 2022 at 2:15 AM Post #1,068 of 2,789
A dac is a dac is a dac is a dac is a dac is a dac.
….well at least to human ears that is.
Dac differences are best experienced as either a bat or dolphin👍

Rocking the Sundara today and it’s just magnificent with some Art Zoyd. Listening to Berlin right this minute and enjoying the heck out of the tension-filled 80s
electronics.

Jan 28, 2022 at 3:23 AM Post #1,069 of 2,789
Update - should be getting the DX3 Pro + tomorrow morning IST. Hopefully its pairing with the XS will get rid of the sibilance...

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2022 at 4:04 AM Post #1,071 of 2,789
Who said I am looking for a different presentation? I am just looking to tame the sibilance and that has been widely reported to come from a DAC / amp upgrade/sidegrade.
Also at present I was giving these just 250mW of power, the new amp should give well over 4x times that ...

Jan 28, 2022 at 4:15 AM Post #1,072 of 2,789
Who said I am looking for a different presentation? I am just looking to tame the sibilance and that has been widely reported to come from a DAC / amp upgrade/sidegrade.
Also at present I was giving these just 250mW of power, the new amp should give well over 4x times that ...
Technically 250mw should get you 116db on the XS, so this should be fine for loudness. Should be an interesting experiment to see if the 'planars need more power' hypothesis holds any relevance here. I've personally never experienced an underpowered headphone and sonic differences due to this, though the weakest amp I've ever used was an O2. I've heard many accounts of weaker bass and/or less controlled treble, so I have bought in to this to some degree based on the many reports of others.

Hopefully you have a return window just in case...

Jan 28, 2022 at 4:33 AM Post #1,073 of 2,789
Taming the sibilance is changing the presentation…or else you’re just left with the same sibilance/strong treble:)
Either way you’re not going to change anything about this issue via amps or dacs.
EQ or a pad swap is your best way forth.

Jan 28, 2022 at 7:24 AM Post #1,074 of 2,789
Taming the sibilance is changing the presentation…or else you’re just left with the same sibilance/strong treble:)
Either way you’re not going to change anything about this issue via amps or dacs.
EQ or a pad swap is your best way forth.
OK... ... cheapaudioman YT in edition xs review that he changed his dacamp from hidzs to smsl and noticed sibilance was gone! Is that a false claim?

Jan 28, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #1,076 of 2,789
OK... ... cheapaudioman YT in edition xs review that he changed his dacamp from hidzs to smsl and noticed sibilance was gone! Is that a false claim?
First, I think it's better to differentiate between the influence of perceptual biases, and a false claim. I'm hesitant to lump them together.

Meanwhile, if he was using a HIDISZ dongle, perhaps it was underpowered and distortion of dynamic peaks was emphasizing the sibilance.

Jan 28, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #1,077 of 2,789
Has anybody tried the XS with the xduoo ta-10r or Singxer sa-1? It sounds like the xduoo mt series works well, but curious how the xs sounds on the ta series. I would imagine the ta-30 is perfect

Jan 28, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #1,078 of 2,789
Has anybody tried the XS with the xduoo ta-10r or Singxer sa-1? It sounds like the xduoo mt series works well, but curious how the xs sounds on the ta series. I would imagine the ta-30 is perfect
I tried it w the mt 602 and the 604, the bass got more body to it, a lil bit more stage and a more pleasing sound, at least for my ears. Both amps were able to easly drive the XS btw

Jan 28, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #1,079 of 2,789
First, I think it's better to differentiate between the influence of perceptual biases, and a false claim. I'm hesitant to lump them together.

Meanwhile, if he was using a HIDISZ dongle, perhaps it was underpowered and distortion of dynamic peaks was emphasizing the sibilance.
Will report back in 24 hours

Jan 28, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #1,080 of 2,789
A dac is a dac is a dac is a dac is a dac is a dac.
….well at least to human ears that is.
Dac differences are best experienced as either a bat or dolphin👍

Rocking the Sundara today and it’s just magnificent with some Art Zoyd. Listening to Berlin right this minute and enjoying the heck out of the tension-filled 80s
electronics.
Are you quoting someone or is that your stance? I hated digital back in the days of TELARC vinyl (early 80's) and the explosion of CD's and cheap players from the mid 80's to the late 90's. Somebody (early 00's) sat me in front of two players - an Audio Research (ARC) and a Krell - and that was night and day to the low-fi crap - but the price - about $20k each was ridiculous. More 1 bit MASH players followed... and then the first version of the Gungnir MB - now over 5 years old is easily told apart from the Snapdragon 845, Mojo, the MB in the Lyr-3, and a DC-1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back