Hifiman EF2A + Denon D2000 / D7000?
Aug 23, 2011 at 4:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ilikepooters

500+ Head-Fier
Got a hifiman ef2a ordered and wondering if it will pair well with the denon headphones.

currently running FiiO E7/E9 combo, will it be a good improvement?

i'll be powering D2000 and D7000.

many thanks :)

Aug 23, 2011 at 4:29 PM Post #2 of 10
I would guess that it would be a downgrade. . . why bother when you already have the E7/E9?

Anyway, the stock tubes are kind of crap so get some better ones (standard advice). 

Aug 23, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #3 of 10

Quote:
I would guess that it would be a downgrade. . . why bother when you already have the E7/E9?

Anyway, the stock tubes are kind of crap so get some better ones (standard advice). 

Well the E7/E9 is mine, as are the D7000's, i bought the D2000's for my mum and convinced her getting a DAC/amp would be a vast improvement over laptop onboard audio.

She suffers from rheumatoid arthritis so pressing the buttons on the E7 to turn it on she finds is a struggle, the EF2A looks alot simpler, also i see how much love the valves are getting on this site so thought i'd give it a blast.

I've already been looking at valve upgrades before the thing even turns up 
biggrin.gif
 had a brief read and no idea what's the best valve or even where to get them from in the UK.

Aug 23, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #4 of 10
I'm not sure how the hifiman compares to a little dot, but mullard driver tubes do Denons some justice with rolled off highs and thick, powerful mids with good bass extension.  The warmth of the Mullards balance out smile sound signature of the Denons a bit.  It'll come down to which tubes you're rolling more than anything I think.

Aug 23, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
I'm not sure how the hifiman compares to a little dot, but mullard driver tubes do Denons some justice with rolled off highs and thick, powerful mids with good bass extension.  The warmth of the Mullards balance out smile sound signature of the Denons a bit.  It'll come down to which tubes you're rolling more than anything I think.

which mullard tube model should i be looking at? links to some on ebay.co.uk would be good :)

many thanks

Aug 23, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #7 of 10
Aug 23, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #8 of 10
Well first off I'm note even sure if Mullards are applicable with the hifiman.  Second, the warm sound signature might not be for you, but that's the cool thing about tube amps.  You can roll the driver tubes until you find a sound signature that's right for you.  The audiophile's long-drawn out, around-the-bush method for EQ.

Aug 23, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #10 of 10
Well, officially started "tube rolling" or whatever it's called.

Gonna try a pair of the Mullard M8100 which i found on ebay below for £13.50 + £3 Post.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M8100-CV4010-6AK5W-MULLARD-NOS-MATCHED-PAIR-/310282214423?pt=UK_Consumer_VintageAudio_RL&hash=item483e42dc17#ht_500wt_1156

The user below suggest's they'll work:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/522546/hifiman-ef2a-tube-replacement-moar-bass#post_7149181

Quote:
You want the 6AK5 family of tubes, from Mullard that would be the CV4010 or M8100.

The Mullard would give you the warmer sound that you are looking for and is an improvement in all areas over the stock tubes, I didn't notice any difference in the sub bass response  but I haven't heard the stock tubes for over a year.  I'm now using Raytheons which are not as warm but are all round, another step up in refinement over the Mullards.  In particular, the bass seems tighter and hits (marginally) harder.  You won't notice a huge difference, it's a subtle but appreciable difference between those two and the stock tubes.  Can't comment on the Tung Sol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back