Hifiman HE-1000 coming
Jan 2, 2015 at 11:53 PM Post #166 of 446
Like a month dragged to the flame lol.

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:07 AM Post #168 of 446
This can majes me wonder, will this affect the price of the ortho ones? And funny thing, Audeze are also working in a new headphone using something different than planar Tech. Why, all of a sudden, 2 of the most prominent ortho manufacters decide to change this Tech? Branch out? Or are they changing theyre manufacturing

Now, im just guessing, don't take my insane guessings as true. I know that Headphone manufacturers always tend to make a "electrostatic super-luxury statement headphone" but still, pretty weird that they both decides to change Tech at the same time.

These are ortho not estat

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #170 of 446

None of those points register negatively for me.  To me, the HEK looks fantastic, and like pretty typical industrial design, ca2014-15: a mixture of natural textures, colors and materials, combined with exposed engineering, metals, etc.   It doesn`t look like other headphones, that`s for sure, but that is not a fault.  I remember some people were saying how ugly the 560`s wood-combo is, and how the 400i looks so much better, with its simple metal-can construction.  Definitely a to-each-his-own situation.  

I would definitely part with my warm bucket of monkey spit for a good looking headphone like the HEK.  

I still think the HE-560 is really ugly & I actually own the headphones.

lol, so yes, I agree that sound over looks, but for a SUPER flagship pair of headphones, you want it to ooze appeal & beauty... so that even the the average joe would be impressed as well. that is how it is for all market segments. the crazy intense luxury stuff will always just look amazing & sexy even if you know nothing about the hobby. that flagship statement products is what draws new people into the hobby as well. if the flagship looks silly, then people will assume the other stuff is silly as well.

Trust me. The Hifiman suspension design will make you look like an idiot. There is a reason that all the photos of these headphones are at an angle rather than straight-front-on.

In fact, I had my father (who knows nothing about headphones) check out my headphone collection and judge which headphone price ranges based on looks and build quality. And he picked the $200 AKG K7xx over the $900 HE-560s simply based on looks, design, and comfort.

The point is if you are gunning for a "out-of-this-world" type flagship product, the build quality and design has to look flagship. That is where Oppo really excels with their products. Their headphones have just look & feel expensive/premium with really nice build quality.

edit: though I still personally like Hifiman better (just think there is room for improvement)

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #171 of 446

The holes may be unnecessary for comfort & aesthetics, but not for usability. I believe the wholes will offer some breathability as the band looks rather wide and might get sweaty. 

I disagree with that. I have the HE-560 with the same wide band and one of the pros of the design is that it is a nice flat surface without any holes/bumps that allows a even distribution of weight and a feeling that there is nothing on your head. I feel like holes would detract from that experience. Your hair will stick through it the holes or get caught in the holes & you will be able to feel the holes on the top of your head. I think this is a major flaw in the design.

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #172 of 446
This can majes me wonder, will this affect the price of the ortho ones? And funny thing, Audeze are also working in a new headphone using something different than planar Tech. Why, all of a sudden, 2 of the most prominent ortho manufacters decide to change this Tech? Branch out? Or are they changing theyre manufacturing

Now, im just guessing, don't take my insane guessings as true. I know that Headphone manufacturers always tend to make a "electrostatic super-luxury statement headphone" but still, pretty weird that they both decides to change Tech at the same time.

It won't affect the pricing of current products because these are geared to be statement ultra-luxury flagships. This isn't a sudden development, they have been researching & talking about these sorts of changes for quite a while. Orthodynamic technology isn't as well developed as dynamic drivers, so there are a lot of room for improvement. Neither of them are really switching over to electrostatic headphones (well, Hifiman has a rumored Jade 2 electrostatic in development for the past few years). Competition spurs each other on, so it is natural that both companies are advancing in cool new directions.

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #173 of 446
popcorn.gif

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #174 of 446
It won't affect the pricing of current products because these are geared to be statement ultra-luxury flagships. This isn't a sudden development, they have been researching & talking about these sorts of changes for quite a while. Orthodynamic technology isn't as well developed as dynamic drivers, so there are a lot of room for improvement. Neither of them are really switching over to electrostatic headphones (well, Hifiman has a rumored Jade 2 electrostatic in development for the past few years). Competition spurs each other on, so it is natural that both companies are advancing in cool new directions.

Fun you mention ortgis newding development. Isn't the best way to perfect orthos to design them and test them? Im not arguing with you, but if they have room for improvements then you have to make better ones.

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #175 of 446
Fun you mention ortgis newding development. Isn't the best way to perfect orthos to design them and test them? Im not arguing with you, but if they have room for improvements then you have to make better ones.

there are a orthodynamic headphone conference on youtube with tyll from inner fidelity, dan from mr. speakers, alex from audeze , and dr fang from hifiman (the major industry player in this field) that were discussing the advancements they would be looking forward to with this technology & acknowledging that there is still a lot of room for improvement for orthdynamic technology.

I'm obviously not an expert in this field, just an enthusiast/consumer.

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:51 AM Post #176 of 446
there are a orthodynamic headphone conference on youtube with tyll from inner fidelity, dan from mr. speakers, alex from audeze , and dr fang from hifiman (the major industry player in this field) that were discussing the advancements they would be looking forward to with this technology & acknowledging that there is still a lot of room for improvement for orthdynamic technology.

I'm obviously not an expert in this field, just an enthusiast/consumer.

Neither i am, but that is linda logic. Now, the main reasom why i freaked out was because i thought hifiman making a stat, mainly because, as you said, they are the main exponent of orthos, as i ser it, followed by audeze and oppo. Also, thanks for the conference stuff, will research

Jan 3, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #177 of 446
Neither i am, but that is linda logic. Now, the main reasom why i freaked out was because i thought hifiman making a stat, mainly because, as you said, they are the main exponent of orthos, as i ser it, followed by audeze and oppo. Also, thanks for the conference stuff, will research

Hifiman will be making a stat in the future. They also do have previous experience with electrostatics. Dr. Fang Bian actually worked on creating the Jade prior to founding Hifiman. Considered to be a top-end electrostatic headphone. It was made by HE audio (which Dr. Fang Bian founded prior to becoming the head of Hifiman). Priced at $1499 when released in 2008.

Jan 3, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #178 of 446
Hifiman will be making a stat in the future. They also do have previous experience with electrostatics. Dr. Fang Bian actually worked on creating the Jade prior to founding Hifiman. Considered to be a top-end electrostatic headphone. It was made by HE audio (which Dr. Fang Bian founded prior to becoming the head of Hifiman). Priced at $1499 when released in 2008.

So is that the reason why their line of orthos is calles HE? Well, i didn't knew that. About the stats, it might be interesting, but no way in hell im buying something so pricey (neither i will buy the HE-1000)

Jan 3, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #179 of 446
  I disagree with that. I have the HE-560 with the same wide band and one of the pros of the design is that it is a nice flat surface without any holes/bumps that allows a even distribution of weight and a feeling that there is nothing on your head. I feel like holes would detract from that experience. Your hair will stick through it the holes or get caught in the holes & you will be able to feel the holes on the top of your head. I think this is a major flaw in the design.

Small holes will not effect the distribution of weight. I'm willing to concede *potential* issues with hair. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back