**Hifiman HE-400 Impressions and Discussion Thread**
Aug 13, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #571 of 22,116
Quote:
There is some, but I don't hear too much sibilance, but I don't really like the recording/mastering of it that much either.  Very flat.  There is some sibilance here and there, but there's also sibilance in real life too. 

What kind of guitars are we talking about here?  Acoustic?  Guitar?  

Quote:

Alice in Chairs

!!!!!

I am referring to electric guitars. The HE-400 handles acoustic well, imo. It seems that accentuating the electric guitar has proven difficult with my cans+setup. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this instrument is mids-based, and with mastering, sounds kind of flat and dull. Live performances are cheating a bit, since guitars sound more natural (not in a studio), hence textured sound.I want to see if my music library leaves a lot to be desired, or if there are other great songs that I am missing that really make the guitars pop. 

Aug 13, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #572 of 22,116
Might be a tough request to answer, since an electric guitar can take on many, many different sounds and emotions.

I got a couple good suggestions for you if you really appreciate the texture and crunch of an electric guitar.  I don't have any good youtubes of them for you though, so you'll have to iTunes preview.  I'll be adding the videos over time in full quality.

Cake ~ Going the Distance

The Offspring ~ Americana (the song)

Black Keys ~ Little Black Submarines 

Rage Against the Machine ~ Killing in the Name Of

Joe Walsh: Life's Been Good

Aug 14, 2012 at 4:19 AM Post #573 of 22,116
Alice in Chairs and their song Angry Chain =) well you listen to good stuff guys. These HE 400 are very tempting, but they cost £399 in Europe which is totally unacceptable for me, I'll have to talk to some friends in usa to get them for me.  

Aug 14, 2012 at 4:57 AM Post #574 of 22,116
Quote:

Just listened to this. No sibilance for me. I like well recorded and mastered live performance to hear good guitar. A few I like are:

Alice in Chains: MTv Unplugged-the whole damn thing is good (edited for Raven)

Dave Matthew and Tim Reynolds: Live at Luther College

Matt

Oh, if you fancy some seriously crazy electric bass, try: Marcus Miller: Detroit. From the new album. Wow 
eek.gif

The MTV Unplugged DVD has much better dynamics; worth checking out if you like AiC.

Aug 14, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #576 of 22,116
Quote:
Alice in Chairs and their song Angry Chain =) well you listen to good stuff guys. These HE 400 are very tempting, but they cost £399 in Europe which is totally unacceptable for me, I'll have to talk to some friends in usa to get them for me.  

Head-Direct doesn't ship to your country? That's a shame...

Aug 14, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #577 of 22,116
Quote:
Head-Direct doesn't ship to your country? That's a shame...

In fact it does! I checked today and it's only about $20 shipping to Bulgaria, which is nice, so that is a perfect option. Now, it's all about the money, It's all about the dum dum du du du dum...

Alice in Chains Unplugged is an awesome concert and in my opinion it is worth checking out even if you're not an AIC fan.

Aug 14, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #579 of 22,116
Back to the tread,im really interested in the he400 ,but have not found much information on the orthodynamic principles that it uses ,is it the same as my electrostatic speakers?namely a high voltage across a grid with some kind of membrane(mylar) in between? 

Aug 14, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #580 of 22,116
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/how-planar-magnetic-headphones-work

It is very close to how an electrostat operates. The key difference is it uses heavy magnets on either side for operation, so there's more issues with resonance than electrostats.  Also to note is that the menbrane is heavier than an electorstat's, so it's technically not as responsive as well (still very light membrane and very responsive compared to traditional cone/dome driver) 

A key point: since planar magnetics have heavier membranes and very powerful magnetic operation, the bass slam of a planar magnetic usually hits way harder than an electrostat.

Aug 14, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #582 of 22,116
My pair finally arrived! I've spent 4 hours with them last night. Here are my initial impressions...

I've noticed that electric guitars don't sound that vocal to my ears with this headphone, or that they lack that semi-nasalness of my DT 1350 (which I really like). The electric guitar tone that should sound "awwe" sounds "eee" to them. Or being somewhat thin rather than a full bodied guitar tone. Its approach in mids was like with the MX 471 earbuds, while my DT 1350 is MX 980. Not to say that they are of low quality because obviously they are not. It just sounds kinda stiff to me and some instruments can be more pronounced.

I like the bass response though. It is quick, tight but still clear and impactful. But I'm already used to my DT 1350s bass and it's like bathing your ears with very high quality (fast and tight, yet very detailed and extends so freakin' well) bass but never lets other frequencies suffer from it. So yeah, the HE-400 bass doesn't get lost with other frequencies or doesn't let other frequencies get lost with itself. BUT I'm spoiled to that oozing or bottomless and very detailed bass the DT 1350s possess so I don't consider HE-400s bass phenomenal.

I don't focus much in the highs but I like HE-400s highs. It can be compared to my MX 980s as they are open and extends well and without sensing it as being rolled-off. I like it better than my DT 1350s highs as even their highs are detailed/sharp, they somewhat lack that crystal clear highs feeling I have on the MX 980 and HE-400. I should also note that of all my headphones/IEMs/earbuds, HE-400 is where I hear clipping on recordings the most. They are very transparent that you can hear even the slightest treble peak on some recording. At first I thought the left driver was defective and has obvious treble spike listening to the intro of Wonderful Slippery Thing of Guthrie Govan's. Then I swithched to my beyer and heard it too, its just too obvious with the HE-400. Technically, it's a good thing. :)

I have tried A/Bing the velour and pleather pads several times (3-4 times) last night, and my findings are the velours really improve the headphone. It made the bass more clear and defined, more crunch in the mids, and I think it made the overall spectrum more transparent by a big margin. Not sure if it was the material itself or the velour being thicker than pleather that changed the angle of the cups to the ears like some say that causes the big improvement. However, my ears still touches the drivers with either pleather or velour if that makes sense.

This is my first full-size headphone so my ears still adjust to the placing of the instruments :D. I really hope the mids change to sound more open than stiff (but I heard planar magnetics don't change that much from burn-in?). I think I still remember how my DT 1350 sounded out of the box and I think it doesn't sound that vocal with distorted electric guitars too at first (fingers-crossed).

Aug 14, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #583 of 22,116
Quote:
My pair finally arrived! I've spent 4 hours with them last night. Here are my initial impressions...

I've noticed that electric guitars don't sound that vocal to my ears with this headphone, or that they lack that semi-nasalness of my DT 1350 (which I really like). The electric guitar tone that should sound "awwe" sounds "eee" to them. Or being somewhat thin rather than a full bodied guitar tone. Its approach in mids was like with the MX 471 earbuds, while my DT 1350 is MX 980. Not to say that they are of low quality because obviously they are not. It just sounds kinda stiff to me and some instruments can be more pronounced.

I like the bass response though. It is quick, tight but still clear and impactful. But I'm already used to my DT 1350s bass and it's like bathing your ears with very high quality (fast and tight, yet very detailed and extends so freakin' well) bass but never lets other frequencies suffer from it. So yeah, the HE-400 bass doesn't get lost with other frequencies or doesn't let other frequencies get lost with itself. BUT I'm spoiled to that oozing or bottomless and very detailed bass the DT 1350s possess so I don't consider HE-400s bass phenomenal.

I don't focus much in the highs but I like HE-400s highs. It can be compared to my MX 980s as they are open and extends well and without sensing it as being rolled-off. I like it better than my DT 1350s highs as even their highs are detailed/sharp, they somewhat lack that crystal clear highs feeling I have on the MX 980 and HE-400. Of all my headphones/IEMS, HE-400 is where I hear clipping on recordings the most. They are very transparent that you can hear even the slightest treble peak on some recording. At first I thought the left driver was defective and has obvious treble spike listening to the intro of Wonderful Slippery Thing of Guthrie Govan's. Then I swithched to my beyer and heard it too, its just too obvious with the HE-400. It's a good thing. :)

This is my first full-size headphone so my ears still adjust to the placing of the instruments :D. I really hope the mids change to sound more open than stiff (but I heard planar magnetics don't change that much from burn-in?). I think I still remember how my DT 1350 sounded out of the box and I think it doesn't sound that vocal in electric guitars too at first (fingers-crossed).

Obligatory question: got the velour pads right? The voicing with HE400s has it so there's a fair bit of recess around the upper mids, and the velours mitigate that quite a bit.

Planars do break in, just takes a while.

Aug 14, 2012 at 11:37 PM Post #584 of 22,116
Quote:
Obligatory question: got the velour pads right? The voicing with HE400s has it so there's a fair bit of recess around the upper mids, and the velours mitigate that quite a bit.

Planars do break in, just takes a while.

I totally forgot about the velour pads lol! Will edit my post. Thanks for stating that they do break in, I'm really hoping for the best, lol. Btw, the characteristics of its mids being somewhat thin or stiff doesn't change with velours, though they seem to have more crunch or rawness which I like.

Aug 16, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #585 of 22,116
Hello everybody !

As i will order an HE-400, which of the velour or leather earpads are in the bundle ? And what is the difference between the two of them in the sound experience ?

Is the stock cable okay or should i think about changing it ?

Thanks a lot !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back