Hifiman HE-400i Dac/Amp
Feb 10, 2018 at 1:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Newtothis142

New Head-Fier
I want a dac/amp that would best suit the Hifiman HE-400i. I'm debating if the Focusrite Solo has a dac that can compete with the Schiit Fulla 2's. Which one should I pick. The solo I can get used for 65. The Schiit would be msrp. Would the 2i2 be better than both?

Feb 10, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #2 of 5
Low cost interfaces have to have their hardware costs split between the ADC and DAC sides. And typically they have better mic preamps than the amp stage. I wouldn't worry about their DACs but the high output impedance (even if you're driving planars where this matters less, it's not that it totally doesn't matter just because they're planars) and low output power on the amp section even at 32ohms would be a bigger concern.

You could just save up and get the Modi2 with the Magni3 or Vali2.

Feb 10, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #3 of 5
I had a Modi 2 Uber/Magni 2 Uber Schiit stack for two years with my HE400i’s and was totally happy. Think if you can splurge a bit and get something at the Modi 2/Magni 2 level or above on the used market it’d be well worth it. You shouldn’t have to spend more than $150 or so to get both.

Feb 12, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #5 of 5
I want a dac/amp that would best suit the Hifiman HE-400i. I'm debating if the Focusrite Solo has a dac that can compete with the Schiit Fulla 2's. Which one should I pick. The solo I can get used for 65. The Schiit would be msrp. Would the 2i2 be better than both?

I would say it's worth it to pay the extra (like $50 more?), for the Fulla 2, over the Solo.
I'm fairly sure the Fulla 2 has a better DAC chip and more powerful headphone amplifier, then the Solo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back