Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Sep 4, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #4,801 of 14,386

It's very close to the Electri-Q version, not 100% but close enough to not hear any differences when switching back and forth. I'll probably be playing with it some more, maybe reducing the amount of bass, but for now it sounds great. Gives the low end some much needed rumble, and a little more slam in the mid-bass, not much. Note, I'm EQing down, so as not to cause any clipping, you will need to have your amp volume pot turned higher to get to similar volumes without the mod.

I assume you know how to set it up, in the EqualizerAPO config.txt file you need to refer to the below text file with the line "Include: he-400ibassboost.txt".

http://www.mediafire.com/view/8wbec5pzb6tc1vl/he-400ibassboost.txt

Sep 4, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #4,802 of 14,386

That's very interesting. First off, hello! Long time lurker, first time poster. Currently having minor issues with the 400i I received - ordered from head-direct.com, but Peter from hifiman has been helping me. Thank you, Peter! Anyway, I still find it weird about the new cable connectors on the headphones. I ordered my 400is 28 of August and was not processed/shipped until the 31st Aigust. Now, my brother in law ordered his own pair a day later and got his headphones with the new cable connectors and when I got mine, it came with the old connectors. Also, when I first opened the case, there was no clear plastics that kinda wraps the headphones half way like I've seen in most YouTube video unboxinf of these cans, oh, and earcups had glue residue on the external side, tried removing them, but there are some that's still sticking to it, and the metal mesh of the left earcups are loose and move around a lot while the right side is very secured.

Right now I am waiting for Petee and Sunmee of hifiman to help me resolve this issue. I know it's minor, but for spending 499, it's a given to expect quality and get your money's worth.

Sep 5, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #4,804 of 14,386
The more I look at the new connectors I'm kinda happy I got the old version. From a purely aesthetic point of view the old connectors look more badass in my opinion. In terms of quality I noticed that both of the cups on my pair have 2 different finishes.

Sep 5, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #4,806 of 14,386
The more I look at the new connectors I'm kinda happy I got the old version. From a purely aesthetic point of view the old connectors look more badass in my opinion. In terms of quality I noticed that both of the cups on my pair have 2 different finishes.

I also like the old connectors more than the new ones. Bothe aesthetically and functionally.

Sep 5, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #4,808 of 14,386

It's very close to the Electri-Q version, not 100% but close enough to not hear any differences when switching back and forth. I'll probably be playing with it some more, maybe reducing the amount of bass, but for now it sounds great. Gives the low end some much needed rumble, and a little more slam in the mid-bass, not much. Note, I'm EQing down, so as not to cause any clipping, you will need to have your amp volume pot turned higher to get to similar volumes without the mod.

I assume you know how to set it up, in the EqualizerAPO config.txt file you need to refer to the below text file with the line "Include: he-400ibassboost.txt".

http://www.mediafire.com/view/8wbec5pzb6tc1vl/he-400ibassboost.txt

thank you so much !!! will try when I am back to my flat tomorrow evening 

Sep 5, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #4,811 of 14,386
I just got mine last sunday, people of customer service in HiFiMam were most helpful.

Before this set up, I had an iPhone 5s, Bose QC3, Bose Soundlink iii and B&O H6, so I have no real set-up to compare it to, but I can say that I´m in love with this. The difference really is night and day, no other headphone I´ve listened to comes close to this sense of space, separation of instruments and realism. 

Sep 5, 2015 at 11:52 PM Post #4,812 of 14,386
The grills on both left and right side of mine move slightly if I exert some pressure otherwise they stay in one place.

Sep 7, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #4,815 of 14,386
I just listened to these today and man was I impressed.  I recently sold my pair of HE-500 due to issues with comfort.  The 400i is so light and the definition of sound is unbelievable.  The bass kicks just like the he500.

I could just listen to these all day long with no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back