Hifiman he-400i Impressions and Discussion
Sep 30, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #5,072 of 14,386
I'm liking what I'm hearing so far, and this is with a pretty blah DAC compared to the M51. Anyway, sounds pretty nice for sure, but until I have these with my main rig I can't really comment much. The sub-bass doesn't plumb as low as the 560s perhaps, but hopefully that is the DAC and amp rather than the 400i. Regardless nice speed and detail levels.

Sep 30, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #5,073 of 14,386
Don't know about the clamping. seems fine for me 8 hours now or so I can feel them pressing around my ear, but not so much to make me want to move them or anything and after a while I forget about them. I even walked with them out of my room, good thing I'm using cable extension for now. :D It is one thing to get them right once you put them on, move the cups and such, all the rotation is somewhat stiff, but move them and bam there you go. Can't believe they recommend having these burn in straight for 150H...Maybe it is just me, but X2's got nothing on these.

Sep 30, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #5,074 of 14,386
  Can't believe they recommend having these burn in straight for 150H...Maybe it is just me, but X2's got nothing on these.

I think companies just say this about burn-in to counter people being underwhelmed at first listen as the reality is that our brains need time to get used to a new sound signature and adapt. Tell people that in 150 hours they will break in and most of us are going to listen for at least a big chunk of that time, and voila, you have people expecting improvement from mechanical bun-in which in reality allows the brain to acclimate. Everyone is a winner, the company gets customers who don't bail out without giving the headphones a chance, your brain gets time, and you get a headphone you like!

Sep 30, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #5,075 of 14,386
  I think companies just say this about burn-in to counter people being underwhelmed at first listen as the reality is that our brains need time to get used to a new sound signature and adapt. Tell people that in 150 hours they will break in and most of us are going to listen for at least a big chunk of that time, and voila, you have people expecting improvement from mechanical bun-in which in reality allows the brain to acclimate. Everyone is a winner, the company gets customers who don't bail out without giving the headphones a chance, your brain gets time, and you get a headphone you like!

For me it seems to work the other way around...I got X2 and I was surprised by the sound and then couple days later, where did the magic go? same for K7xx...SHP9500 still sound good. :D

Sep 30, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #5,076 of 14,386

For me it seems to work the other way around...I got X2 and I was surprised by the sound and then couple days later, where did the magic go? same for K7xx...SHP9500 still sound good. :D

M​aybe your just a fickle pain in the ass :) Joking. Still think this is brain burn-in. You should give signatures extra time as it may suggest you get very euphoric early on and then when that elation subsides you start looking for flaws. If in a few days you don't like a signature give it a solid week. If after that time you really don't like them well then at least you gave your brain time. The important thing is don't go back and forth with other headphones as that will only confuse the acclimation process.

Sep 30, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #5,077 of 14,386

M​aybe your just a fickle pain in the ass :) Joking. Still think this is brain burn-in. You should give signatures extra time as it may suggest you get very euphoric early on and then when that elation subsides you start looking for flaws. If in a few days you don't like a signature give it a solid week. If after that time you really don't like them well then at least you gave your brain time. The important thing is don't go back and forth with other headphones as that will only confuse the acclimation process.

I give headphones a good time, before I discard them as not for me.I got X2's in july and replaced by SHP9500 in september (That was not the intention, but it happened) So I got 400i's this month, gonna run them for couple of months compare them and see if i like them or not, so far it seems like they are great for me, if that continues on I will keep them for a long time. If i like this sound signature then probably next step can only be the summit. :D

Oct 1, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #5,078 of 14,386

I can understand your reasoning for brain burn-in but it also depends on how you listen to headphones.  I tend to switch headphones quite often, I may use as many as 4-5 during a listening session.  I will compare a headphone when I first get it but it is compared to those that I have had for a while and know their sound signature quite well so if the new headphone has a different sound signature from anything else I have it usually will stay connected to a system to see if there is any equipment burn-in.  I will give a headphone at least a month before deciding to sell or give it away.  Some headphones that were not that good were used as practice for learning how to mod them and the effects of various mods (MDR-1A - dynamat & vent, VModa Crossfade LP - new drivers, SR-225e - dynamat, felt, venting), M50s - removable cable, HE-400 - grill, metal mounting ring & drawer liner)

I also didn't believe in equipment burn-in but I have experienced one that really changed from first listening to about the 200+ hour mark, Audeze EL8-open.  Started as dark sounding and after about 70-90 hours it was getting to be warm sounding.  At about 150 hours it was getting to be close to warn-neutral and after about 200 hours it was warm-bright sounding and has not changed since.  I'm not the only one who noticed this, many others that got the EL8 also commented about it.

Oct 1, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #5,079 of 14,386
OK, i solved the clamping problem.
i just used more force, ALOT MOAR!   to the point it hurts my thumbs.
but it was worth it 
bigsmile_face.gif

i can now wear the HP comfortably!

so glad i dont need to get rid of those, i like the sound so much!

Oct 1, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #5,081 of 14,386
  OK, i solved the clamping problem.
i just used more force, ALOT MOAR!   to the point it hurts my thumbs.
but it was worth it 
bigsmile_face.gif

i can now wear the HP comfortably!

so glad i dont need to get rid of those, i like the sound so much!

Do you have a picture of your HE-400i? I would love to see how much you had to stretch it out if it hurt your thumbs lol 

Oct 2, 2015 at 5:42 AM Post #5,082 of 14,386

Do you have a picture of your HE-400i? I would love to see how much you had to stretch it out if it hurt your thumbs lol 

you can see that the steel headband is more rounded.
also, the pads are still touching each other but very lightly.

they turned from skull crushing machine to a normal pair of HP.

new pair of 400i (from google):

mine:

Oct 2, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #5,085 of 14,386
Man these headphones sound great. I was listening to them over the summer with the windows open and the fan running two feet next to me, and they were less than impressive. But now that it's colder, and there's no fan and the windows are closed, they sound like heaven.

Open headphones really do need quiet surroundings to get the most of imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back