Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Nov 12, 2017 at 3:06 AM Post #9,617 of 14,685
Welcome to the club!

Nov 12, 2017 at 11:17 AM Post #9,618 of 14,685
So, what amps are folks using? Just curious.

Nov 12, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #9,619 of 14,685
So, what amps are folks using? Just curious.
I am also, curious what everybody's setups are like, and what amps they found to sound the best.
I've heard it out of Cayin iHA-6, which was very good amp for other headphones as well. I liked the HE1000 out of it very much. I was also considering Audeze Deckard, which others recommend as well. I think it's just generally a good sounding headphone, and probably not so much finicky like dynamic drivers to sources as long as you give it good sufficient power. It seems to respond well to solid state.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #9,621 of 14,685
Ive been using mojo first. Then i used questyle cma600i, then cma800i. Worked very well. Then i bought moon neo 430had, and this one is the best ive had.

Nov 12, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #9,622 of 14,685
Ive been using mojo first. Then i used questyle cma600i, then cma800i. Worked very well. Then i bought moon neo 430had, and this one is the best ive had.
I'm looking to try out others, but from what I'm hearing, no reason why one wouldn't be pleased even out of a Mojo. The headphone has much of the weight in sound quality it seems.

I quite liked the Questyle CMA600i for a planar I was driving.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2017 at 12:13 PM Post #9,623 of 14,685
If you dont want to spend too much, i would recommend kneeping the mojo. It gives a nice smooth sound with the he1000. Remember when got the he1000v2 it sounded a bit sharp compared to v1. Mojo and v1 is very Nice combo.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #9,624 of 14,685
I own or owned a few of the under 1k amps Audeze Deckard, Jotunheim, Cavalli Liquid Carbon, Vorzuge, Rupert Neves RNHP. I vehemently disagree that the He 1000 V2 is easy to drive from an SQ standpoint. While you get sound and they will play loud with any of the above listed amps, the better the amp’s SQ the better the HE 1000 perform. I sold the Jot because I was a little disappointed in many aspects of its pairing with my He and my Elear. I started with AK 320 to Mobi to Jot, then AK320 to Nuforce DAC 80 to Jot, Then substituted Deckard with Jot, then the other amps, you get the picture.
IMHO the Rupert Neves at 499.00 is the best option followed closely by the Cavalli and believe it or not the Little Vorzuge VorzAmp Duo II, which includes an eq function . When I’m using the He away from home on trips I carry the Vorzuge and Mojo from the AK 320 and get great playback. While the Mojo is great on its own I like the greater level of dynamics and attack with the Vorzuge in the mix.
Currently I have been using part of my big rig, the PS Audio DS DAC to my Antipodes DX to Schiit Loki to Rupert Neves I get fantastic resolution, s stage, etc. the best part is it cost 499.00 and most places have a generous return policy. Reading through the Rupert Neves website he focused on lowering the noise floor for mixing...

Nov 12, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #9,625 of 14,685
My interest on Rupert Neve peaked after I find out that Jude uses it as a reference amp for his measurement rig. I think Tyll uses Moon Audio's

Rupert Neve hasn't been getting much attention looking at the thread. I'd like to read more impression of it with various headphones.

When it comes to drivability with Mojo, never really had issues with planars for me, but I find that for a particular planar, better refinement was revealed with a better source compared to the Mojo. Obviously, HE-6 way difficult to drive, and HEK is not in that level. It's not easy to drive, but not so difficult like HE-6 as well. You definitely need a dedicated Amp or something with a bit of juice for sure. Just by the fact we can drive it out of Mojo, Vorzuge, Rupert Neve, that it doesn't take significant power to drive it properly.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #9,626 of 14,685
I own or owned a few of the under 1k amps Audeze Deckard, Jotunheim, Cavalli Liquid Carbon, Vorzuge, Rupert Neves RNHP. I vehemently disagree that the He 1000 V2 is easy to drive from an SQ standpoint. While you get sound and they will play loud with any of the above listed amps, the better the amp’s SQ the better the HE 1000 perform. I sold the Jot because I was a little disappointed in many aspects of its pairing with my He and my Elear. I started with AK 320 to Mobi to Jot, then AK320 to Nuforce DAC 80 to Jot, Then substituted Deckard with Jot, then the other amps, you get the picture.
IMHO the Rupert Neves at 499.00 is the best option followed closely by the Cavalli and believe it or not the Little Vorzuge VorzAmp Duo II, which includes an eq function . When I’m using the He away from home on trips I carry the Vorzuge and Mojo from the AK 320 and get great playback. While the Mojo is great on its own I like the greater level of dynamics and attack with the Vorzuge in the mix.
Currently I have been using part of my big rig, the PS Audio DS DAC to my Antipodes DX to Schiit Loki to Rupert Neves I get fantastic resolution, s stage, etc. the best part is it cost 499.00 and most places have a generous return policy. Reading through the Rupert Neves website he focused on lowering the noise floor for mixing...

Nice write up, I have a Liquid Carbon v1 (upgraded when I had a problem with the volume in single ended mode), hadn't heard about the Rupert Neves amp. I went to the dedicated thread and read a bit, it sounds interesting.

Nov 12, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #9,627 of 14,685
I use the HiFiMAN EF-6 amp, originally designed by HiFiMAN for their hard-to-drive HE-6 headphone, but certainly great for the more-easy-to-drive HE1000. I found it better than Schiit Lyr2, HiFiMAN EF-5, and Joseph Grado HPA-1.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #9,628 of 14,685
Using my MicroZOTL2, upgraded by Mojo Audio, with upgraded Illuminati LPS. Been a bit on the fence about the upgrade, but think I need to do some tube rolling...

Nov 12, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #9,629 of 14,685
Some initial impressions:

Sound is quite spacious than what I'm used to. Large space of sound, and due to being so spacious, it doesn't have headphone sound compressing effect(open-ness is spacious). Very polite and in-offensive headphone, and that makes tracks no matter what genre sound pleasant to listen to without losing refineness. Sounds very good even out of a Mojo, and not so hard to drive.

Treble is in-offensive for easy listening. Also, I like the bass, it's not overpowering, but the sub-bass rumbling presence is felt, but not so much, just enough. Low end is so nice, love the bass. Don't expect so much bass, but it's interesting how it's done. Just really polite, in-offensive, and euphoric or smooth in nature without sacrificing balance, refinement, and detailing. Dr. Fang Bian is a genius! I like it(tuning hits my buttons), music just sounds interesting to me(not like I'm monitoring sounds or clinical), which is most important.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #9,630 of 14,685
A bit of tube rolling did the trick, loving this MicroZOTL2 (modded by Mojo Audio) and Illuminati LPS at the moment. HEK doesn't sound soft at all (and no harshness either at least preliminary impression. Sometimes it takes a bit of time to hear these things, but I'm LOVING the combo so far (un-modded ZOTL2 is a great amp for HEK as well...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back