Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Aug 20, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #13,321 of 14,707
I was actually worried about the source chain being the issue. Definitely the Schiit Jotunheim 1 is something I'd consider bright 9 times out of 10. In fact, I did go out of my way to buy a Lyr+ in desperate hopes it would improve things and to make sure I my ears aren't going crazy. It did end up improving things somewhat, but the sibilance and overall brightness and airy character were still there regardless of tubes I had tried. Maybe the Bifrost Multibit is more sibilant than I take it granted for, or maybe Schiit in general isn't a great pairing? To be clear, I should say the brightness wasn't piercing at all, just overall elevated, yet smoothed, throughout the frequency range. Maybe my 31 yo ears were more sensitive to the 10+ KHz range (though I can't hear beyond 16 KHz)? I've heard the Ananda Stealth V2, Stealth V3, and Nano, and less refined treble is something of a staple for them, whereas I could definitely tell there was way more refinement on the HekV2's end.

Unfortunately, I decided that either I wasn't ready for the HE1000V2 enough to appreciate it or that maybe I needed some kilobuck level source equipment to get the most out of it. Either way, I could see this being a rabbithole that I wasn't financially prepared without access to any audiophile friends with different equipment or ears. I've since returned them in fear that I was just going to sink more money than I was financially comfortable with. The HE1000V2 had been my dream headphones, mainly relying on the anecdotal experience of everyone else here, but blind buying bit me in the butt.

As an aside, I do know of the difference volume, even so much as 1 dB can make. I do my best I can to compare everything at as close to what I perceive to be the same volume as I can. I'm only human, so it's still possible that the volume differences were still enough to make the difference.
Thanks, I’ll keep my hopes up that you find the right balance to make you happy. No intended condescension to your level of expertise in my last paragraph by the way; it took me awhile to catch on to the perils of volume matching and it’s just one my little notes of caution I pass along now and then in hopes of saving others unnecessary time and expense. Peace :)

Aug 20, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #13,322 of 14,707
Hopefully my HEK Stealth will arrive this week. I will compare them to Arya Stealth. Very excited!
Awesome, looking forward to hearing your take on this!

Aug 20, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #13,323 of 14,707
Quite a few rave reviews of Arya Organic by Josh Valour, Amplify Audio Reviews etc.., but... Hifiman pricing of Organic and HeK Stealth is very confusing, Stealth is only $100 more than Organic I mean anybody who can buy a Organic will have no issues spending extra $100 for the Stealth, so with such close pricing it is possible the Stealth many not be a strict upgrade, maybe the Organic has something the Stealth lack, very curious and eager to look forward to comparison between these two.
I can’t say for certain but I do wonder about the fates of the Ananda and Arya Stealths in the coming year—if they are aiming for a streamlined lineup I could see them moving those versions to legacy status and replacing their Ananda Nano and Arya Organic price points to align with the current Stealth versions maybe? It seems like $999 would make a lot of sense for the Arya Organic, after the early adopters willing to pay higher prices dwindle away.

I try to keep in mind their need to offload existing stock of the prior versions, and with these price points they possibly maintain room to dazzle folks with occasional sales. Just my hypothesis! They clearly have been investing considerable overhead in retooling these options with new features at least twice in the past year and a half, and I’m guessing somebody's gotta absorb that for them to keep their other prices down.

Anyway, my conjecture aside, this is one reason why, for every headphone except for the HEK Stealth, I’ve tried to humbly encourage prospective buyers to consider holding out a little while longer—because HFM does seem to be in a transitional phase, and after all the prices are highly unlikely to go up! :wink:

Aug 20, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #13,324 of 14,707
I am sure hifiman's price drops (HE-1000s, Aryas..) have been discussed at length here, but I couldnt find it. So:
1.What happened? Are these the new prices or is this a sale?
2.When?
3. Was there any communication from Hifiman as to why?
I feel like I am dreaming!

Aug 20, 2023 at 4:33 PM Post #13,325 of 14,707
I am sure hifiman's price drops (HE-1000s, Aryas..) have been discussed at length here, but I couldnt find it. So:
2.When?
It was advertised as the Father's Day / Summer Sale!

LOL, and now looks like it's the Back to School Sale!

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #13,326 of 14,707
2.When?
All I feel I can say for sure, after keeping an obsessive eye on this brand and negotiating trade-in prices with them recently, is that these current prices, including the markdowns of prior versions (the HEKse, Arya Stealth. Ananda Stealth and HEKV2) are not temporary sale prices—only the Edition XS seems to be permanently on sale for $459 down from the original list at $499.

If there’s any merit to their past pricing strategies, these heavy markdowns of the HEKse, HEKv2, Arya and Ananda Stealths are consistent with their prior “close out” price points, and that’s one reason I think a flagship refresh is imminent (that, and the fact that it’s been almost six years since they’ve touched their TOTL)!

Aug 20, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #13,328 of 14,707
Aug 20, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #13,329 of 14,707
Hi, I’ve got a set of HE1000 stealths, but I wondered how to distinguish the stealth version? The magnets aren’t rounded as I would have thought.
You can tell by looking through the grilles—in the Stealth magnet versions the magnet is not as visible through the mesh.
IMG_0210.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #13,330 of 14,707
Hi, I’ve got a set of HE1000 stealths, but I wondered how to distinguish the stealth version? The magnets aren’t rounded as I would have thought.
Check the veneer if it's shiny or matte. Matte is stealth. Also driver should be wider at the center. HEKv2 has rectangle driver, HEK Stealth is rectangle but wider in the middle. (earpad side)

Aug 20, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #13,331 of 14,707
Check the veneer if it's shiny or matte. Matte is stealth. Also driver should be wider at the center. HEKv2 has rectangle driver, HEK Stealth is rectangle but wider in the middle. (earpad side)
This is a better explanation!

Aug 20, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #13,333 of 14,707
still constantly amazed by the hek stealth after couple days of new gear cool off period... I have demoed susvara before and didn't really find it as memorable. LCD5 too and I remember not being that impressed either. I have yet to try utopia or some of the top end zmf stuff though. Granted I don't think I am that curious about other stuff now.
What I am interested in now is finding a better dac/amp set up for the hek stealth. Current set up is pretty basic with zen dac v2+liquid spark. Any recommendation on a dac/amp combo that can be had below $700 that's worth the upgrade? I am fine with used deals too.

Aug 20, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #13,334 of 14,707
still constantly amazed by the hek stealth after couple days of new gear cool off period... I have demoed susvara before and didn't really find it as memorable. LCD5 too and I remember not being that impressed either. I have yet to try utopia or some of the top end zmf stuff though. Granted I don't think I am that curious about other stuff now.
What I am interested in now is finding a better dac/amp set up for the hek stealth. Current set up is pretty basic with zen dac v2+liquid spark. Any recommendation on a dac/amp combo that can be had below $700 that's worth the upgrade? I am fine with used deals too.
I haven’t delved into ZMF, but I’ve sure had enough of my Utopia, that used to offer me a lot of unearned pride based solely on how much I paid for it, to be brutally honest. And with the HEK Stealth there’s this funny thing happening where I actually feel excited to have discovered a headphone that I know is great, without any need for borrowed credibility from corporate-funded reviews, at a price that didn’t leave me with that crummy feeling of having gone too far. With these things you can hear a reasonable justification for every dollar you spent.

I’m hoping I can now continue this hobby freed of any annoying FOMO. I’m reminded of this invaluable lesson every time I take a break from the HEK to listen to the Utopias, and wonder, after almost eight years of recouping R&D costs, how Focal can justify RAISING its price last year to an astronomical $5,000 when they launched the 2022 model? If Hifiman can make a thrilling Edition XS or HEK Stealth at 4-10 times less cost, exactly what did my $4,400 pay for?

You can tell just from the massive markdowns for open box items how much dealers are gouging their own prices, but they’re still being set by the manufacturer—and I admire Hifiman for being one of the rare shops making any effort to be honest in this regard. How often to you feel like you got a deal paying full price for anything in this hobby?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back