Hifiman HE1000V2 - super harsh trebles -what's wrong?
Oct 26, 2023 at 4:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

chris0815

Head-Fier
Hi,
I am used to a Audeze LCD-2 closed back.
And I use a AVM CS2.3 amp/streamer.

Now I bought a Hifiman HE1000V2 because I like to have a open headphone sound as well.

But the hifiman has super harsh trebles. I hear Sibilance in almost everysong with a femal voice in pop songs.
Even in "nothing else matters" it's there.
In classical, acoustic songs it's ok.

I thought maybe my amp is not the right one and ordered a cayin ha-3a.
But the problem is the same no matter what settings I use (impedence).

I contacted support and was kindly asked to try a 100 hours burn in.
I thought I haven't to as it's a refurbished one.

I am really suprised that it sounds so harsh and it's exactly the opposite from what I ve read in reviews.

I also had a Ananda BT and it did not sound harsh at all. Less bass but no problems with trebles at all.

Is my headphone broken? Should I return it or try the burn in? I currently spend 20 hours using it but it's annoying so I let it run the night - alone in the dark. 🫣

Any advice?

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2023 at 10:37 PM Post #2 of 14
So have you let it burn in? That can really make a big difference. I don't remember the HE-1000V2 being super harsh when I owned it. If anything it was softer and warmer than most Hifiman I've tried.

I've also heard the Stealth version is a little sharper. Is this the V2 or the Stealth?

Yeah, if all else fails, return it and ask for a replacement pair. It's always possible that quality control didn't catch something.

Oct 27, 2023 at 12:51 AM Post #3 of 14
Hi,
it's the 2nd version, non stealth. But
I didn't let it burn in. I thought it's a used headphone as it was called refurbished. (Though it does look brand new, absolute flawless).
Till now it was in use for about 20 hours.
I'll give it another 24 hours and if there are no improvements, I'll have to return it, 30 days limit reached, unfortunately.

Oct 27, 2023 at 1:11 AM Post #4 of 14
I don't know much about EQ but it seems to fix the issue. I used a preset and reduced 16k a bit further -3,9db. It's now way better. Unfortunately it only works with Bluetooth.

Can someone recommend a RCA input output hardware EQ that looks good (not 19" studio rack thingy).
Don't know if that makes sense at all.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #5 of 14
Schiit loki and they do a bigger version but not sure what it's called, I would just send the headphones back and get something more suited otherwise you'll be constantly tweaking, for a little extra you could probably get a Utopia

Oct 27, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #6 of 14
I don't know much about EQ but it seems to fix the issue. I used a preset and reduced 16k a bit further -3,9db.
To be honest with you, I can’t hear up to 16kHz. So it might very well be that this is just a part of the frequency response and I just didn’t hear it with my pair.

Yeah the schiit Lokius and Loki max are great external eq options. If you like berthing else about the headphones and are able to eq easily, maybe it’s worth it to keep them around.

Oct 27, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #7 of 14
Hi, i decided to replace it. I don't believe that it sounded as it should.
There are so many reviews and recommendations and the hekv2 is often referred as soft and more warm.
And I had an Ananda that was not harsh at all.
Long story short, I trust hifiman and asked for a replacement. I will report if it sounds the same.
An Utopia, hm. I only payed 1200$ for the refurbished. Maybe I buy another headphone
in addition to hifiman and my Audeze LCD-2CB (I use as a headset) but than it will be an easy listing headphone, easy to drive, laid back kinda thing.

Nov 12, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #8 of 14
So
I have an update, I'll upgrade the hekv2 to the R10 Planar. I know it's a controversial headphone but when it's a bit warm and is a bit more relaxed, bit more punch and does not create sibilance it might be the perfect match.
Weight is not issue as I am used to an audeze lcd2 CB. And may be closed back works better for my hearing.
I'll keep you posted.

Nov 30, 2023 at 1:01 AM Post #9 of 14
I don't know much about EQ but it seems to fix the issue. I used a preset and reduced 16k a bit further -3,9db. It's now way better. Unfortunately it only works with Bluetooth.

Can someone recommend a RCA input output hardware EQ that looks good (not 19" studio rack thingy).
Don't know if that makes sense at all.
Company by the name of Schiit makes a couple of eq's that are for use with headphones and aren't 19" rack mounts.

Nov 30, 2023 at 6:22 AM Post #11 of 14
Hi, it was a refurbished one, so I assumed that the hardware is not new. But I learned from the support, that the electronic is often new.

Anyway, I switch to an R10P.
Reasons are:
- prefer closed headphones as I always hear in a noisy environment or late at night.
- I might be sensitive to harsh trebles and the R10P should be a bit more relaxed.
- I don't care about controversial designs
- I need something easy to drive as it like to use my cayin ha-3a headphone amp that I like a lot.
- it's said that it has a more present bass
- Price for an open boxed one dropped significantly.

So I am excited how these headphones sound.

Still, I believe that the He1kv2 that I had somw malfunction. I could listen to any vocals at all.

If I have problems with the R10P I'll order an EQ and maybe switch to another pair of headphones - but good closed ones are rare.

Nov 30, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #12 of 14
Hi,
I am used to a Audeze LCD-2 closed back.
And I use a AVM CS2.3 amp/streamer.

Now I bought a Hifiman HE1000V2 because I like to have a open headphone sound as well.

But the hifiman has super harsh trebles. I hear Sibilance in almost everysong with a femal voice in pop songs.
Even in "nothing else matters" it's there.
In classical, acoustic songs it's ok.

I thought maybe my amp is not the right one and ordered a cayin ha-3a.
But the problem is the same no matter what settings I use (impedence).

I contacted support and was kindly asked to try a 100 hours burn in.
I thought I haven't to as it's a refurbished one.

I am really suprised that it sounds so harsh and it's exactly the opposite from what I ve read in reviews.

I also had a Ananda BT and it did not sound harsh at all. Less bass but no problems with trebles at all.

Is my headphone broken? Should I return it or try the burn in? I currently spend 20 hours using it but it's annoying so I let it run the night - alone in the dark. 🫣

Any advice?
All Hifiman are known for harsh and elevated treble. It’s part of their house sound. Unless you’re older and have lost some of your hearing, that’s the way it will sound.

Dec 8, 2023 at 1:40 PM Post #14 of 14
Hello everyone,

Wow, I got my uprade package...
It's a R10D.
I am frustrated. I waited so long for my upgrade from the malfunctioned HE1KV2 to the R10P and they sent me the wrong headphones. Unbelievable.

Now I wait for their reply.
To be continued.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back