Hifiman HE400S vs HE400i vs HE400
Aug 23, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #4 of 12
I've only got the 400S and 400i.  I did a comparison in the 400S thread.  There is a note that should be made though, the 400S' stock pads don't do the headphones justice.  The roll off early, so getting a pair of Focus Pads (regular or A) is a must (to get depth and quantity).  

Comparisons short hand (search for my full comparison in the 400S thread if you want the full scoop).  

With stock pads:
  1. 400S has a mid-bass focus creating a slower, smoother bass in general.  Overall, it is above in quantity throughout.  The 400i gets much better depth and texturing.  Impacts are tight with the 400i and thicker with the 400S.
  2. The 400S is much smoother than the 400i overall.  The 400i has more details than the 400S, likewise with clarity.  Darker, lusher sound signature in the 400S comes out in vocals as well.  
  3. The 400i offers much more quantity up in the treble.  There is an edginess to the 400i's treble which the 400S does fix up.  The cost of this smoothness is indeed detailing and presence.  The i offers more air at the highest highs over the 400S.  

With focus pads (A):
  1. The 400S fixes up the sub-bass roll off here offering much more quantity overall.  In many aspects, it does end up making the 400i sound anemic in the process.  It tightens up the bass slightly and offers a more convincing, direct impact.  
  2. The midrange smooths out even more, you get a warmer, lusher sound out of the 400S.
  3. Treble is mostly unaffected with the new pads.  

I wish I had a normal HE-400 to compare with, unfortunately, I don't.  

Sep 11, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #6 of 12
I traded in my HE-500 due to the comfort factor but I have to say I feel the 400i did a great job replicating the HE-500 sound.  The bass is tight just like the he-500 and is slightly dark but overall it's a great sounding headphone.

The 400i is a great fun comfortable headphone and for the price I think this is also great value headphone.

Feb 29, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #7 of 12
  I've only got the 400S and 400i.  I did a comparison in the 400S thread.  There is a note that should be made though, the 400S' stock pads don't do the headphones justice.  The roll off early, so getting a pair of Focus Pads (regular or A) is a must (to get depth and quantity).  

Comparisons short hand (search for my full comparison in the 400S thread if you want the full scoop).  

With stock pads:
  1. 400S has a mid-bass focus creating a slower, smoother bass in general.  Overall, it is above in quantity throughout.  The 400i gets much better depth and texturing.  Impacts are tight with the 400i and thicker with the 400S.
  2. The 400S is much smoother than the 400i overall.  The 400i has more details than the 400S, likewise with clarity.  Darker, lusher sound signature in the 400S comes out in vocals as well.  
  3. The 400i offers much more quantity up in the treble.  There is an edginess to the 400i's treble which the 400S does fix up.  The cost of this smoothness is indeed detailing and presence.  The i offers more air at the highest highs over the 400S.  

With focus pads (A):
  1. The 400S fixes up the sub-bass roll off here offering much more quantity overall.  In many aspects, it does end up making the 400i sound anemic in the process.  It tightens up the bass slightly and offers a more convincing, direct impact.  
  2. The midrange smooths out even more, you get a warmer, lusher sound out of the 400S.
  3. Treble is mostly unaffected with the new pads.  

I wish I had a normal HE-400 to compare with, unfortunately, I don't.  

So with the new pads, do you feel that the 400s becomes a competitive headphone with the 400i, or is it still lacking? I understand it's a personal preference thing, but am curious how you feel.

Feb 29, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #8 of 12
I am currently owning the HE 560 (latest version with 2,5 mm connectors) and have owned the HE 400S, which I gave my sister as a present.

I modded both cans Jerg-Style >link< with the Focus-Pads A and think the HE 400S are great cans hitting way beyond their 300 Dollar or 400 Euro mark.

The HE 400S is basically the little sister of the HE 560. 

The HE 560 is better in every way, but the 400S are 70%-80% there. Considering the HE 560 cost 1050 Euros in Germany the 400 S are a great deal.

For me the HE 560 (modded) are a blend of the best characteristics of the HD 800 and LCD2.2, which I tested both extensively.

I highly recommend to spend around 80 Euro more and perform the Jerg-Mod for enhanced clarity, separation, soundstage and especially bass.

Mar 6, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #9 of 12

So with the new pads, do you feel that the 400s becomes a competitive headphone with the 400i, or is it still lacking? I understand it's a personal preference thing, but am curious how you feel.

This is a very late response, I apologize.  I don't have them together to compare, and won't be able to for a while :/  So from memory, it does definitely become competitive.  There are definitely tradeoffs, but the main deciding factor will come in terms of preference; it would boil down to one question, "do you prefer a warmer phone or a colder one?"

Feb 5, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #10 of 12
I just tried out the HE-400s and the HE-400i at Can Jam NYC 2017.  I used my iPhone 6s Plus, (without an amp), listening to music through SoundCloud.  Throughout the A/B comparison, listening to a varied selection of music, I discovered something that does not seem to come up in the user reviews.  Yes, the 400s seems to have slightly more bass using the stock velvet pads, but throughout the mid to the treble, it seems to be unnatural -- as if there were drop-downs in the middle of the graph.  I'm not sure what it was, but these cans simply did not sound natural.

The 400i, on the other hand, was much more natural sounding, though the bass was slightly less, (this was with the stock pleather/velour-on-top pads).  The difference was obvious.  The soundstage was very good and probably could be improved with a good amp, but, without one, it was no contest.  With the discounting of this now slightly older model, making it around the same price as the 400s, it is a great value, so shop around and skip the 400s.

I also tried the HE-1000X v2, straight from the iPhone -- beautiful!  I just wish they had the HE-560 to try an A/B/C.

Feb 19, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #11 of 12
would these connectors fit the HE400S?

http://www.audiophonics.fr/en/fiches-jack-jack-25/oyaide-p-25sr-jack-plug-25mm-stereo-3-pin-silver-rhodium-plated-o-4mm-p-9630.html

any others I can try?

Aug 1, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #12 of 12
Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE4XX Planar Magnetic Headphones
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-hifiman-he4xx-planar-magnetic-headphones?

Featuring a lightweight, open-back design and HIFIMAN’s signature driver technology, the Massdrop x HIFIMAN HE4XX offers an unheard-of value in the world of planar magnetic headphones. It’s complete with super-comfortable Focus-A ear pads, a spring steel headband with breathable protein leather, and a matte finish in exclusive midnight blue. Plus, it doesn’t need a fancy amp to sound amazing. Listen from your smartphone, laptop, or desktop computer, or add a headphone amp to take it to the next level.

The HE4XX launches Thursday, August 3 at 6 a.m. PT for $169.99.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back