Hifiman HE6-SE
Oct 18, 2021 at 9:17 PM Post #2,131 of 3,903
Thundercats-Poster-Oficial-707x1024.jpg

Thundercats!

Oct 25, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #2,132 of 3,903
Okay... I have the PERFECT track to illustrate the difference in soundstage capabilities between my “best” soundstaging headphones before ,and the he6se v2.

Orchestra Version (Live) Inception: Time” by Hans Zimmer. At 1:34 there is a set of percussive hits that my other headphones place to the very far right. (Surprisingly, with the HK-870 driving my Modhouse Argons this is extremely well executed, placing them close to what even my HEDDPhone One does!) But without thinking about it I was listening to the track with the he6se v2 while reading, and when 1:34 came, I jumped thinking that something heavy was knocked over and fell HARD in the other room!

Yeah, they’re THAT GOOD.

Oct 26, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #2,133 of 3,903
Hey guys, i was trying the HE6se while holding the cups away from my ears as suggested and the bass is marvelous, i had no luck with the bass port mods though.

Have any of you considered a 3D printed mounting ring with some bumps on the ring to let the drivers breath? I am thinking the may be THE mod for these cans for those of us wanting more bass slam. No EQ can accomplish the same result, i tried.

I don't have the knowledge to create a model for a 3d printer though, maybe someone here does? @Sebbai ?

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #2,134 of 3,903
Hey guys, i was trying the HE6se while holding the cups away from my ears as suggested and the bass is marvelous, i had no luck with the bass port mods though.

Have any of you considered a 3D printed mounting ring with some bumps on the ring to let the drivers breath? I am thinking the may be THE mod for these cans for those of us wanting more bass slam. No EQ can accomplish the same result, i tried.

I don't have the knowledge to create a model for a 3d printer though, maybe someone here does? @Sebbai ?
I can't help with the 3d-printing aspect of your question, but for consideration - Once you get the ring portion of the problem sorted, may I suggest surgical tubing to ring the ear-facing surface to help add additional cushion to whatever material you select to press against your ears/side of your head? That extra "give" might help to increase comfort... (And extend your width while maintaining a seal) Just ensure that the surface is as "flush" as possible to reduce any sound reflection/misalignment.

Oct 26, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #2,135 of 3,903

Here's the stupidest idea of all time - get two packs of Dekoni Nuggets and use them as spacers between the pads and your head!

Oct 26, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #2,137 of 3,903
LOL, that would be way too much space, we are talking like 1/3 of a centimeter here :)

What about...

Dekoni nuggets INSTEAD of earpads? Just stick em right to the cup!

Oct 26, 2021 at 3:58 PM Post #2,139 of 3,903
That would be interesting to try, but i am pretty sure it would still be too much "breathability" for the drivers. This mod requires a fine tuning, too much air and it gets out of control.
I have two unused nuggets left - enough for me to get a proof of concept going, stay tuned haha.

Imagine if this is awesome? You'll have a headphone plugged into a speaker amp that has nuggets instead of pads. That would upgrade this to Jecklin Float/AKG K1000 tier extra.

Oct 26, 2021 at 4:03 PM Post #2,140 of 3,903
I have two unused nuggets left - enough for me to get a proof of concept going, stay tuned haha.

Imagine if this is awesome? You'll have a headphone plugged into a speaker amp that has nuggets instead of pads. That would upgrade this to Jecklin Float/AKG K1000 tier extra.
Hahaha awesome! I doubt this was what Hifiman's R&D team had in mind for their set when they were designing it! lol

Oct 26, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #2,141 of 3,903
This whole "headphones floating away from the ears gives massive bass" thing is real, with HiFiMAN stuff anyway. Crinacle put HE1000v2 cups on an AKG K1000 harness to make them "earspeakers", and, well, compare the plots:

https://crinacle.com/graphs/headphones/hifiman-he1000-v2/

MASSIVE bass. For a few cycles. Then down to nothing.

Oct 26, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #2,142 of 3,903
This whole "headphones floating away from the ears gives massive bass" thing is real, with HiFiMAN stuff anyway. Crinacle put HE1000v2 cups on an AKG K1000 harness to make them "earspeakers", and, well, compare the plots:

https://crinacle.com/graphs/headphones/hifiman-he1000-v2/

MASSIVE bass. For a few cycles. Then down to nothing.
Whoa! That is why it slams so hard, huge peak around 60hz. But yeah sub bass takes a hit.

Funny thing is if you try that with Audeze planars you get zero bass, seems like Audeze drivers need the seal to produce bass while Hifiman's are completely different.

Oct 26, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #2,143 of 3,903

I believe what you are referring to is the driver resonance? I remember watching a live stream a while ago and a reviewer was talking about it. Depending on where the membrane's resonance frequency is, air gapping puts a spike in the frequency response. Most HIFIMAN headphones have theirs in the bass region. For instance, I get a huge boost in bass on my Edition XX when I lift it off of my head.

I'm not doubting your experience with your HE6se, but I'm not really noticing any bump in bass while holding my headphones away from from my ear so little. I do get a bump when I hold them away an inch or two but creates a lot of sub bass rolloff. But this difference in behavior could be a combination of things.

I have custom grilles and these earpads (measure identical to HIFIMAN Round Velours but are way more comfortable). If I remember my experimenting I did with my HE4XX back in the day, I would get no bass at all with the stock ear pads but sticking my finger behind my ear with boost it considerably. However, changing to a different earpad made the bass, even when sealed on my head, a lot more better and I didn't experience nearly the massive spike in bass when gapping them slightly. Other people didn't seem to have that problem with lack of bass with stock earpads so it might vary unit to unit, or head/ear shape could play some roll. So in this case, more breathable pads get some of the effect you are looking for? Dunno, just spitballing here. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #2,144 of 3,903
Resolve posits that this is due to the resonant frequency of the drivers - the idea (I think) being that when you break the seal of a headphone, some frequency band will increase. In HiFiMAN's case, it's the bass.

Oct 26, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #2,145 of 3,903

Nice to see my mod get some attention! What do you mean when you say ”no luck” ?

Your comment made me pick out my replacement HE6SE V1 from Hifiman, as they just have been sitting in the box unopened since I got hold of HE6 4 & 6 screw.

Installed the bassport modded pads, and been A/B them with the OG HE6’s.
Running of Burson Stack (Soloist 3x and Composer 3xp, all vivid 6 op-amps and supercharger)
Same Cable, same volume, same EQ.
(Both HE6 are blue tack mod’d)

The HE6SE slams harder that any of the HE6’s, with the bassport mod.

If anyone doubt my findings I will run the same test on my Primare A30.1 100W speaker amp.

If I get hold of a measurement rig I will post the proof.

Song used for this test was —Gabriel (Live Garage Mix) by Roy David Jr.
I’m not sure how deep the sub bass in the song is, or if all my pairs of HE6 are equally difficult to drive.

Again nothing professional about my “testing” I’m recently new to this hobby (Started November 2020)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back