Hifiman headphones fall down on floor
Oct 23, 2023 at 1:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

demonk

New Head-Fier
Hi, my hifiman headphones (Arya) fell down on floor around 3ft. Anyone knows if falling on ground would damaged the super thin diaphragm of hifiman?

So far i have not find any issues after it had fallen down, but you know hifiman has been critized with their QC issues. Somemore this is my first hifiman headphones, i hope anyone who owning hifiman headphones and dropped them can answer this.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2023 at 1:56 PM Post #2 of 18
If you don't hear anything wrong, there's probably nothing wrong.

But aside from the diaphragms, the jolt can weaken solder joints, connectors, etc.

So try not to drop them anymore.

Oct 23, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #3 of 18
I dropped mine like two feet onto hard tile and the panic I experienced probably shortened my lifespan by like two years. But they survived just fine.

Oct 23, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #4 of 18
A good way to test if something has happened, sonically, is to run a sweep at moderate volume and listen for any artifacts.

Oct 29, 2023 at 2:21 PM Post #7 of 18
The weak spot for drops are if they landed where the cables plug in. I've had several apart, and the negative ground connector can come loose as well. If you shake them gently and nothing is loose, and sound ok it should be fine.

Oct 29, 2023 at 9:22 PM Post #9 of 18
A few months ago I dropped my pair of Sundara's onto hard concrete (didn't have my backpack fully closed-d'oh!) and one cup stopped working. I took it apart and what happened was the fall caused a couple small slivers of the magnetic grill "coating" to fly off and rip through the membrane and one or two traces.

Since they were well past any warranty coverage, I just paid for a Hifiman to ship a replacement for about 150 dollars.

Anyways, taking the broken one apart was interesting. There isn't much going on mechanically, just a metal ring cover, the membrane element, and the backing with the magnetic "grate" plus the cup frame itself with protective mesh insert. The membrane piece resembles cellophane and the traces were connected to the headphone jack with tiny leads with a simple solder join. I asked if they just sold the membrane (as I have a solder pen and such handy) bit but the answer was no, only a full replacement if I sent back the broken pair.

The grate itself seemed to be at least two layers of metal (an inner core plus the outer layer that chipped off). Dunno how precise the spacing was between the pieces, but the screws were just basic machine screws that held the rings to the cup. Of course, since it was broken, I had no way of telling if disassembly messed up any calibration though I couldn't tell how they could do that, the construction was very basic though I assume there had to be some tolerances so the membrane traces would react against the magnets with the proper amount of flex.

Oct 30, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #10 of 18
A few months ago I dropped my pair of Sundara's onto hard concrete (didn't have my backpack fully closed-d'oh!) and one cup stopped working. I took it apart and what happened was the fall caused a couple small slivers of the magnetic grill "coating" to fly off and rip through the membrane and one or two traces.

Since they were well past any warranty coverage, I just paid for a Hifiman to ship a replacement for about 150 dollars.

Anyways, taking the broken one apart was interesting. There isn't much going on mechanically, just a metal ring cover, the membrane element, and the backing with the magnetic "grate" plus the cup frame itself with protective mesh insert. The membrane piece resembles cellophane and the traces were connected to the headphone jack with tiny leads with a simple solder join. I asked if they just sold the membrane (as I have a solder pen and such handy) bit but the answer was no, only a full replacement if I sent back the broken pair.

The grate itself seemed to be at least two layers of metal (an inner core plus the outer layer that chipped off). Dunno how precise the spacing was between the pieces, but the screws were just basic machine screws that held the rings to the cup. Of course, since it was broken, I had no way of telling if disassembly messed up any calibration though I couldn't tell how they could do that, the construction was very basic though I assume there had to be some tolerances so the membrane traces would react against the magnets with the proper amount of flex.
Thank you very much for writing your personal experience about how the fall could damaged the diaphragm/membrane of your Sundara. I am shock to know it can cause damage like this, but it caused damage to only one cup (not both cups) is quite interesting to know. Well, thinking positively my headphones is still working fine and it is still within the 3 years warranty period.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #11 of 18
Throwing your headphones on the floor is the best way to assert dominance and unlock their true potential.

I've dropped a headphone or two off a desk, as others mentioned, if it passes a spectrum test or doesn't sound any different on your favourite tracks, you're golden!
Maybe throwing headphones to the floor is part of the "burning process" a lot of people talk here about... :rolling_eyes:

Oct 30, 2023 at 11:13 PM Post #13 of 18
Thank you very much for writing your personal experience about how the fall could damaged the diaphragm/membrane of your Sundara. I am shock to know it can cause damage like this, but it caused damage to only one cup (not both cups) is quite interesting to know. Well, thinking positively my headphones is still working fine and it is still within the 3 years warranty period.
No probs. Anyways, while I was waiting for the replacement I decided to get a set of LCD-X cans which I plan on NOT throwing to the ground if I can help it.

Oct 31, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #14 of 18
I’ve been back and forth with HiFiMan for over a month for a simple part request so hopefully you don’t need to get anything replaced. Their QC reputation for the most part has been over exaggerated but their service is atrocious.

Expect to either not hear anything for a week and then go back and forth with no resolution or not get any solution at all.

Oct 31, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #15 of 18
I’ve been back and forth with HiFiMan for over a month for a simple part request so hopefully you don’t need to get anything replaced. Their QC reputation for the most part has been over exaggerated but their service is atrocious.

Expect to either not hear anything for a week and then go back and forth with no resolution or not get any solution at all.
Can confirm, mine was slow as well with my ananda's. Part of the reason why i sold mine and dont want hifiman headphones again. But their value (if they dont break) is pretty high and unmatched Afaik

Users who are viewing this thread

Back