HIFIMAN Releases New Flagship DAP "R2R2000"
Apr 28, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #1,381 of 1,984
It`s all really weird and I guess one should not expect much in future. If you ask me, I think LHDC is going to die and the R2R2000 is going to be/stay an SBC only device. I am still asking myself if I am ok with that because I like its general sound signature and design quite a lot - it`s a kind of nerdy device that satisfies collectors emotional needs, more than technical ones imo.
Haven`t decided yet. But for sure I will be more careful with Hifiman in future.

First - it works for android so it might by "SBC only" but for iphone users "ONLY" ;]
Second if you care about sound quality just ditch iphone... as apple only care about ibuds etc and will never actively allow any other manufacturer to cut into their profit - even Audeze (with its CIPHER cable) that was once officially supported is now having problems with new OS

BTW I prefer my r2r connected to my android phone via usb anyway as app even though is working has limited uses.

Apr 28, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #1,382 of 1,984
First - it works for android so it might by "SBC only" but for iphone users "ONLY" ;]
Second if you care about sound quality just ditch iphone... as apple only care about ibuds etc and will never actively allow any other manufacturer to cut into their profit - even Audeze (with its CIPHER cable) that was once officially supported is now having problems with new OS

BTW I prefer my r2r connected to my android phone via usb anyway as app even though is working has limited uses.

Well, but who knows how long the Android App is going to support LHDC?
Did you realize that Hifimans newest product, the HM1000 does not offer LHDC anymore but LDAC instead?
For obvious reasons, because the future of LHDC seems very unclear.
Of course one could hope/trust that Hifiman keeps it in future versions of the Android app EVEN in case of LHDC officially dies, just for their R2R2000.
But honestly , the fact that R2R2000’s OS is still Beta after 2 years (!) does not scream „trustworthy“ in terms of future updates for this device, does it?

I don’t blame Hifiman if it was Apple who took LHDC down. I agree with you, Apple’s „policy“ is terrible in this regard.

But my criticism was more towards the fact, that Hifiman wrote things in the description of the iOS app that simply were not true anymore (just as with what is written about the battery life on their webpage).

If you use the product differently that is great for you! But I bought it for my purpose. And the time I bought it, it already couldn’t do it anymore - but Hifiman still said it can! I think that is not ok!

Though I still like the product for other qualities...

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #1,383 of 1,984
Well I not sure about Hifiman claims regarding iOS and BT as it was outside my interests - But I can understand your frustration if what you say happened. ( and I have no reason to say otherwise)

I do agree that calling FW Beta is a bit unfortunate ;] but I think it is not actually a beta - someone just forgot to remove it from the name...

Now to the point - as you said chances are very slim that it will ever again work in your particular scenario - so you have 2 choices - first adapt to the new one or sell and buy something else - both might leave a bitter after taste but how big and for how long it depends how much you like r2r sound ;]]]
Actually you may have 3rd option - buy android phone ;]

Apr 28, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #1,384 of 1,984
Hifiman have deleted (or it was taken down?) the Hifiman App for iOS. So currently we are only talking about LHDC on iPhone here. Android is still available.

In addition, Huawei and Xiaomi have upgraded to LHDC 2 on most of their phones, and R2R2000 can only do LHDC1. So in future there might not be any more sources that support its codec natively.
Furthermore, Hifiman have told me that already some earlier versions of the iPhone app could not transmit LHDC anymore (though it was still written in the description of the app! Which is totally not ok - because that was practically a lie to the customers! The same as with the 30h battery life!)

If you ask me, the whole LHDC thing had a fishy smell from the beginning and I don`t know what to believe anymore.
iPhones are normally limited to AAC from the hardware side! If it`s that easy to use a high res BT-codec via software (as Bian has told you) - why not everybody is doing it then? I mean, I would be more than happy if it works, but why do we all still struggle then with lossy codecs? Streaming companies could just add LHDC to their apps and we would never think about lossy BT anymore then, right?

There might be reasons, most likely it`s policy of tech companies, but whatever the truth is - I don`t understand why Hifiman cannot be more transparent about it. At least they should adjust their marketing and be honest.
And how LHDC and SHDC hang together - I have no clue. I guess it`s basically the same thing, just a question of type of licence/contract with Savitech, the company who owns it.
Actually I have written to them twice and asked some questions about LHDC, but they never replied.

It`s all really weird and I guess one should not expect much in future. If you ask me, I think LHDC is going to die and the R2R2000 is going to be/stay an SBC only device. I am still asking myself if I am ok with that because I like its general sound signature and design quite a lot - it`s a kind of nerdy device that satisfies collectors emotional needs, more than technical ones imo.
Haven`t decided yet. But for sure I will be more careful with Hifiman in future.

I mean, you could just avoid iPhones to begin with if you wanted good sonic performance (?) :)

iPhones are pretty terrile in general for everything Audio, they just make it harder and harder to get any decent signal out of them. And I'm sad because of that, was considering getting one at some point...

In the meanwhile, Xiaomi is pumping LDAC in 200 USd Smartphones, you could get one alongside your iPhone, who knows, maybe you'd like it in the end. I kept it

Funny thing is, I am looking to upgrade it to something, but not sure to what...

Well, but who knows how long the Android App is going to support LHDC?
Did you realize that Hifimans newest product, the HM1000 does not offer LHDC anymore but LDAC instead?
For obvious reasons, because the future of LHDC seems very unclear.
Of course one could hope/trust that Hifiman keeps it in future versions of the Android app EVEN in case of LHDC officially dies, just for their R2R2000.
But honestly , the fact that R2R2000’s OS is still Beta after 2 years (!) does not scream „trustworthy“ in terms of future updates for this device, does it?

I don’t blame Hifiman if it was Apple who took LHDC down. I agree with you, Apple’s „policy“ is terrible in this regard.

But my criticism was more towards the fact, that Hifiman wrote things in the description of the iOS app that simply were not true anymore (just as with what is written about the battery life on their webpage).

If you use the product differently that is great for you! But I bought it for my purpose. And the time I bought it, it already couldn’t do it anymore - but Hifiman still said it can! I think that is not ok!

Though I still like the product for other qualities...

It is totally understandable that you're sad about being unable to use it for your scenario, I think that considering using a different digital transport, like a cheap yet good Android phone would be best overall solution.

So sad everyone has to put up with Apple's stuff out there, the phones aren't bad by any means, but man are they unconvinenent.

Apr 28, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #1,385 of 1,984
Haha...everybody is trying to convince me to get rid of my iPhone 😬

Unfortunately that is not really possible because I am somehow dependent on Apple because of work. Besides, I like my iPhone!

It‘s more like I was happy the R2R2000 fit to my scenario - now it doesn’t anymore.

So yep, either go with SBC or sell it. Will see...
Most likely keep it....because....it’s so nerdy and cute and I really like the tonality!

Thanks for both of your support anyway! :)

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #1,386 of 1,984
In the meanwhile, Xiaomi is pumping LDAC in 200 USd Smartphones, you could get one alongside your iPhone, who knows, maybe you'd like it in the end. I kept it

Unfortunately R2R2000 does not support LDAC 😭

Apr 28, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #1,387 of 1,984
Apr 28, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #1,388 of 1,984
Haha...everybody is trying to convince me to get rid of my iPhone 😬

Unfortunately that is not really possible because I am somehow dependent on Apple because of work. Besides, I like my iPhone ☺

It‘s more like I was happy the R2R2000 fit to my scenario - now it doesn’t anymore.

So yep, either go with SBC or sell it. Will see...
Most likely keep it....cause....it’s so nerdy!

Thanks for both of your support anyway! :)

NO ;] We do not tell you to get rid of iphone - just do not use it as a transport ;] - get cheap android with ldac ( that will make sure it will work with hifiman app using lhdc - as phones that do not support ldac often has problems with lhdc - do not know why though)

Apr 28, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #1,390 of 1,984
NO ;] We do not tell you to get rid of iphone - just do not use it as a transport ;] - get cheap android with ldac ( that will make sure it will work with hifiman app using LHDC - as phones that do not support ldac often has problems with lhdc - do not know why though)

Nah, I‘d rather use a regular DAP before I have three devices in my pocket! 😉
And again - LHDC2 (that recent Android phones use) is not compatible with LHDC1 anymore, that R2R2000 uses! Neither is LDAC!

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #1,391 of 1,984
isn't lhdc software codec? my phone runs android 10 - not sure what lhdc version it supposed to work with but it works and if it is a software thinkgy then it would be easily implemented and should be no reason to have lhdc 1 and 2 - mind you it is not the newest phone.
and thinking about it isnt LDAC software codec as well? I know a lot of phones had it added with android 8 when there was no LDAC hardware

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2020 at 2:24 PM Post #1,392 of 1,984
I have recently made the move from iPhone to Android and really impressed with the sound quality improvement I'm getting with either direct connection, Bluetooth or as transport to another DAC. Audio wise, I haven't been that impressed with iPhone sonically since the iPhone 1 unless being directly wired using the iPhone as transport to an external DAC. For Bluetooth or LDAC, I used to always grab my little Shanling M0 rather than the iPhone.

Apr 28, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #1,393 of 1,984
I have recently made the move from iPhone to Android and really impressed with the sound quality improvement I'm getting with either direct connection, Bluetooth or as transport to another DAC. Audio wise, I haven't been that impressed with iPhone sonically since the iPhone 1 unless being directly wired using the iPhone as transport to an external DAC. For Bluetooth or LDAC, I used to always grab my little Shanling M0 rather than the iPhone.

But if you use your phone only as transport - SQ comes from the DAC of the device you use it with? Has nothing to do with iOS or Android? And iPhone does not support LDAC anyway?

Apr 28, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #1,394 of 1,984
isn't lhdc software codec? my phone runs android 10 - not sure what lhdc version it supposed to work with but it works and if it is a software thinkgy then it would be easily implemented and should be no reason to have lhdc 1 and 2 - mind you it is not the newest phone.
and thinking about it isnt LDAC software codec as well? I know a lot of phones had it added with android 8 when there was no LDAC hardware

So you also have a R2R2000?

Apr 28, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #1,395 of 1,984
But if you use your phone only as transport - SQ comes from the DAC of the device you use it with? Has nothing to do with iOS or Android? And iPhone does not support LDAC anyway?

On the iOS or Android note - yes it's the same DAC but I still hear sonic differences between audio apps on the same device for example, so it's still possible to have sound differences between devices. No LDAC - that's one reason I would grab the M0 for a music listening session over the iPhone. The M0 is also small enough to carry around everywhere, so always had it on me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back