Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Oct 22, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #2,791 of 4,259
Alright then:) I think you’ll want to stay away from the HE400i as well if it’s the 9k peak bothering you. Most folks I know that find the Sundara too bright do so because of the extra zing between 4-6k...which is smoother over the new HE400i.
I was hoping the new Avantone Planar would be my first planar with full mids (I’m talking Sennheiser mids here) and wellbehaved treble, but I ended up cancelling my order. I’m way too impatient to have to wait a month before something I’ve already paid for arrives at my door. That may be an option but I’d probably wait for a frequency response before pulling the trigger.
Oh snap hah! I almost forgot...if you somehow can find a Sendy Aiva, I think you’d be a very happy man. Oodles of detail, planar style, with a very smooth treble:) If I didn’t already own and absolutely adore the Sundara, I’d own the Aiva.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #2,792 of 4,259
Alright then:) I think you’ll want to stay away from the HE400i as well if it’s the 9k peak bothering you. Most folks I know that find the Sundara too bright do so because of the extra zing between 4-6k...which is smoother over the new HE400i.
I was hoping the new Avantone Planar would be my first planar with full mids (I’m talking Sennheiser mids here) and wellbehaved treble, but I ended up cancelling my order. I’m way too impatient to have to wait a month before something I’ve already paid for arrives at my door. That may be an option but I’d probably wait for a frequency response before pulling the trigger.
Oh snap hah! I almost forgot...if you somehow can find a Sendy Aiva, I think you’d be a very happy man. Oodles of detail, planar style, with a very smooth treble:) If I didn’t already own and absolutely adore the Sundara, I’d own the Aiva.

I'll check them out, thanks for the heads up!

Oct 22, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #2,793 of 4,259
So, after playing around with EQ, what bothers me the most is the 9khz peak in the sundara. I EQ it down by 5db and then it doesn't hurt on the songs that get very painful. One that is unbearable with the Sundara without EQ is "Someone you loved" by lewis capaldi. When he starts singing higher and louder it gets super shouty and painful for me. The 560s is bright, but never is piercing like the Sundara is for me.

In terms of detail and resolution, how does the HD 400i compare with the Sundara? What I love about the Sundara is the incredible detail and resolution it has that the 560s is far behind on.

The song "Strive" by amber rubarth is incredible on the Sundara's and gives you a "Wow" factor, where as on the 560s it sounds good, but there's no "wow"

I suggest trying a warmer amp....what is your source? On the slightly warmer mojo these a joy to listen to.....on my desktop corda classic/daccord they are brighter

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #2,794 of 4,259
I suggest trying a warmer amp....what is your source? On the slightly warmer mojo these a joy to listen to.....on my desktop corda classic/daccord they are brighter

I'm now powering them with a FiiO K5 Pro. Previously had a Schiit fulla 3. To my surprise, the HD 560s benefited more from the better amp than the Sundara's did, at least from what I could notice.

With EQ, they are good. I think i'm being too picky and will just keep the Sundara's. After watching way too many reviews and graphs and opinions, I do think the next step up for me for a heapdhone would be the Focal Elex, with that said, it's double the price and not sure I want to spend $700 on a daily use headphone.

Oct 24, 2020 at 7:47 PM Post #2,795 of 4,259
I didn't get a chance to read all 186 pages of this thread, so forgive me if this has been answered. I currently have the Sundara's and HD 560s. I Really love the detail, sound stage, and clarity of the Sundara's, but I do find them to be very bright and harsh for my ears on some songs (I'm assuming from the peaks in the treble). I like the tuning of the 560s, maybe a bit more elevated bass, but it's clear the Sundaras are far more capable headphones between the two.

Is there anything in the $500 or less price range that competes with the Sundara's in terms of detail, clarity, resolution, and sound stage, but has better tonality?

From my research, it seems the next step up from the Sundaras would be the $700 Focal Elex. Is there any other options to have the technical capabilities of the Sundara in the Sub $500 range?

400 euro HD660s have the detail clarity resolution close to Sundara but with smaller soundstage in your head experience that makes vocals and music sound better to some people . Also they sound more analogue not metalic more natural and highs are no way bright.
Also the imaging on HD660s is phenomenal close and to me little better than amazing also Sundara imaging... Maybe smaller soundstage helps HD660s pin point direction.
Anyway give them a try ... Focal Elex was on my list but after all these problems people report and missmatch drivers on most of them at 800 euros for Europe no way even if they sound like heaven.
By the way me to have all hd 5 and hd 6 series and personally i listen HD660s and Sundaras all the time, strangely my wife likes my old HD650 most of all even if i close her eyes see always said these sound full and effortless .... So i think its also about taste.
I think you gone like HD6 series warmer smoother sound and having Sundaras and HD6 series at the same time its all u want both so good and different.

Oct 24, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #2,796 of 4,259
I'm now powering them with a FiiO K5 Pro. Previously had a Schiit fulla 3. To my surprise, the HD 560s benefited more from the better amp than the Sundara's did, at least from what I could notice.

With EQ, they are good. I think i'm being too picky and will just keep the Sundara's. After watching way too many reviews and graphs and opinions, I do think the next step up for me for a heapdhone would be the Focal Elex, with that said, it's double the price and not sure I want to spend $700 on a daily use headphone.

I also have k5pro and Sundara compared to my Senns are the most power hungry to get some body on their sound... I am not talking about loudness .
HD560s doesnt need power they just need a warmer dac amp if i understand your taste correct. So i think HD560s are not for your taste... Have u tried HD599 ? Try them and tell me what u think they are the opposite of 560s and very cheap to experiment with warm signature.

Oct 25, 2020 at 6:29 AM Post #2,797 of 4,259
I also have k5pro and Sundara compared to my Senns are the most power hungry to get some body on their sound... I am not talking about loudness .
HD560s doesnt need power they just need a warmer dac amp if i understand your taste correct. So i think HD560s are not for your taste... Have u tried HD599 ? Try them and tell me what u think they are the opposite of 560s and very cheap to experiment with warm signature.

I loved the sound signature of the 560s, just missed the detail and clarity that the Sundara has. Decided to stick with the Sundara and I'm very happy with them. I listen to a wide variety of music and am enjoying music a lot more being able to hear it so much more clearly. I absolutely love heavily distorted guitars on the Sundaras.

Oct 27, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #2,798 of 4,259
My first post here at the SUNDARA thread. Can any of the owners please reccomended a good 2.5mm Trrs Balanced Male to Dual 3.5mm Male Cable. Thanks

Oct 28, 2020 at 4:12 AM Post #2,800 of 4,259
Hi there,

Please be assured that we have fixed the driver issue, if you have any question, please feel free to email us at Customerservice@hifiman.com. :)

April

The Arya I own got a driver failure in the 14th month. That's 2 months beyond the warranty. Which brand gives only 1 year warranty for a $1600 product?
And the excuses I'm getting for a driver replacement are just irresponsible for any brand.

does hifiman fix the failure driver problem now ?

No,even their Arya has driver failures.

Oct 30, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #2,801 of 4,259
Is the Sundara a worthwhile upgrade from the HE400i? Or is more of a step sideways?

Nov 1, 2020 at 1:09 AM Post #2,804 of 4,259
I just got the Sundaras and my only comfort complaint is the clamping force gets a bit fatiguing after several hours. Most people say these are extremely comfortable, so is this just me? Obviously this will lessen over time.
Mine are very comfy. But the HD 6xx, now those were the jaws ofsteel!

Nov 1, 2020 at 7:35 AM Post #2,805 of 4,259
I just got the Sundaras and my only comfort complaint is the clamping force gets a bit fatiguing after several hours. Most people say these are extremely comfortable, so is this just me? Obviously this will lessen over time.
Keep wearing them:)
The headband will conform to the size of your head fairly quickly with use. My buddy has a ginormous head - extremely wide - and he had some initial comfort issues as well. A couple of weeks down the line we met up in my apartment and I simply had to laugh. His Sundara was now twice as wide as mine...and also exceptionally comfortable for him to wear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back