Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Nov 25, 2020 at 11:59 PM Post #2,885 of 4,259
sorry to crash the thread, but I was thinking of making and upgrade this black friday between this and HD600, both cost the same, and would be used with a topping DX3 pro

I've read every review but still have doubt's, anyone could help me a bit to decide?

Nov 26, 2020 at 1:52 AM Post #2,886 of 4,259
If you mostly listen to old school music (pre 89), I’d say swing for the 600.
If you mostly listen to newer music (after 89), then go with the Sundara.
Both are great headphones and will actually complement each other beautifully.

Nov 26, 2020 at 2:23 AM Post #2,887 of 4,259
If you mostly listen to old school music (pre 89), I’d say swing for the 600.
If you mostly listen to newer music (after 89), then go with the Sundara.
Both are great headphones and will actually complement each other beautifully.
I'm looking them for an all-rounder, so movies, gaming, and every type of music, from diana krall to dance monkey, so from that, I think I should go with the sundara.

As complement each other, not an option, the budget is not so big, so I can afford a headset and no more :p

Nov 26, 2020 at 2:36 AM Post #2,888 of 4,259
The Sundara will probably be a wonderful experience then. Truth be told every person who’s ever tried on my Sundara ended up with a big smile on their face.
I made the mistake of selling it off because I recently bought the new HE400i...but they sound different enough to own both..so I’m most likely going to buy another one. I miss it already.

Nov 28, 2020 at 4:46 AM Post #2,890 of 4,259
Mates it has happened that the right driver unit on the SUNDARA has stopped working (at least no yet dead but wishpering), I know It was something that could happen on first series, but I was hoping to have dodged it.

Anyway, what can I do is it something I can solve by my self, or since I still have a month warranty coverage from the 2 year bought date, I better send'em back?

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #2,892 of 4,259
Mates it has happened that the right driver unit on the SUNDARA has stopped working (at least no yet dead but wishpering), I know It was something that could happen on first series, but I was hoping to have dodged it.

Anyway, what can I do is it something I can solve by my self, or since I still have a month warranty coverage from the 2 year bought date, I better send'em back?
Send it back. It may take longer but it will be done right and they will stand behind the repair.

Nov 28, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #2,894 of 4,259
The Sundara will probably be a wonderful experience then. Truth be told every person who’s ever tried on my Sundara ended up with a big smile on their face.
I made the mistake of selling it off because I recently bought the new HE400i...but they sound different enough to own both..so I’m most likely going to buy another one. I miss it already.
I’ve actually been considering buying the Sundara (most likely open box directly from HiFiMan) and selling off my 400i 2020s. How would you say the two compare? I kinda assumed the Sundara would just sound like a more refined version of the 400i with better technicalities - detail retrieval, speed, dynamics, etc., but with a similar, neutral, sound signature.

Nov 28, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #2,895 of 4,259
I think many feel the Sundara is the natural progression/step up from the HE400i - hell even this thread’s title suggests the very same...but I don’t think it’s that clear cut tbh. It rather depends on your tastes as to which one you’d prefer. I certainly don’t think that one is better than the other..they’re merely ‘different’.
If you imagine your HE400i with a slightly lighter/brighter tuning in the bass and mids/low treble but with a smoother and slightly less elevated treble performance...and you effectively get the Sundara.
The Sundara also has a bit of extra energy around 1k that often makes people think of Focals and/or estats, which incidentally do the same...estats excessively so imho..but with the Sundara it’s more elegantly done and creates this brilliant ‘fullness’ to music whilst still feeling very ‘airy’ and ‘open’ in it’s delivery.
Depending on what X person likes to listen to and what his of her tastebuds go for sound signature-wise, either headphone could be “the best”:)

Edith: Granted I do find the Sundara to be an improvement over the OG HE400i...but then again I feel the same about the new iteration.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back