Hifiman Sundara (HE400i upgraded, around $500)
Nov 13, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #2,836 of 4,255
Regarding pads, the following thread has a lot of information:

Mission: Replace the HiFiMAN ear pads with other brand ear pads
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mis...an-ear-pads-with-other-brand-ear-pads.572327/

Dekoni Audio: HiFiman Pads
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dekoni-audio-hifiman-pads.888973/

Regarding "chinese knockoff pads", these ones look like quality, and user says good things about them
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mis...ith-other-brand-ear-pads.572327/post-15386876

For myself, I have ordered the following pleather pads just yesterday off aliexpress, and the necessary rings to mount them:
pleather.jpg

They also come in sheepskin leather:
leather.jpg

Attachments

• pleather.jpg
    pleather.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #2,837 of 4,255
For some reason your aliexpress links don't work, but in any case the links usually don't last long so I'll include a picture of mine off ebay (also can be found on aliexpress).

I wouldn't be too comfortable switching from the hybrid/palipad style to all leather simply due to the sonic differences, so I'd probably stick to hybrid. But, they have some pretty good looking ones that look almost identical to the focus pads (a little thicker to be more in line with the palipad dimensions). For ~$20 it wouldn't be the worst gamble I've ever made, and would be a huge savings if they're good.

edit: now that you've included the pics, I can see they're fenestrated on the inside - maybe that'd preserve the FR better. Those look a lot deeper in the photos than the dimensons would suggest, more like Audeze depth.

Attachments

• FocusPadKnockOff.png
    FocusPadKnockOff.png
    118.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 14, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #2,838 of 4,255
I haven't tried any other pads as I've just gotten my Sundara. But, I have done a bunch of pad research already in the case of them having low durability ($50 would be a lot to pay for something that doesn't last long). Absolutely the first alternative I'd try is the Dekoni hybrid. The foam/leather looks like it could be higher quality, while the graphs look very close. Wouldn't want to modify the sound signature, but would take a slightly better seal if possible.
You really don’t have to worry about seal issues with the Sundara...in fact if you break the seal enough you actually get an increase in subbass:)

Nov 14, 2020 at 6:07 AM Post #2,839 of 4,255
You really don’t have to worry about seal issues with the Sundara...in fact if you break the seal enough you actually get an increase in subbass:)

Actually this isn't true according to the graphs. Seal, in fact, affects sub bass the most (20-50hz), whereas mid bass (50-100hz) goes up several db. This is an interesting phenomenon though, I wonder if many large planars exhibit this?

Nov 14, 2020 at 7:02 AM Post #2,840 of 4,255
My bad it’s been a while since I looked at the measurements of the Sundara - it’s not the subbass that increases but the area around 60hz. Either way the differences between a perfect seal vs a pair of reading glasses is negligible at best and would require focused a/b swapping with the right kind of music in order to sniff out...and even then it’d be a very very subtle change.
Seal breach is a far more worrying issue with closedback designs or indeed with headphones marketed as “openbacks” that are more closed than open.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #2,841 of 4,255
I didn't have the time to read 190 pages but did anybody get an issue with one of the drivers being lower than the other in the recent Sundara models?

I received a new Sundara 3 days ago and really liked the sound signature but after about some hours I noticed an inbalance between letft and right channel and after more detailed testing the Right driver seems bad.
Left driver plays clean and louder while the right driver has lower volume, less bass and shouty mids plus distorted treble.

I contacted customer service that so far seems great as they quickly responded and will be sending a replacement but since this is not the first time I had this issue with a planar, I wanted to hear more feedback. I got basically the same problem with a Drop 4XX before just the side with issue was the left instead right.

Nov 14, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #2,842 of 4,255
Regarding pads, the following thread has a lot of information:

Mission: Replace the HiFiMAN ear pads with other brand ear pads
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mis...an-ear-pads-with-other-brand-ear-pads.572327/

Dekoni Audio: HiFiman Pads
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/dekoni-audio-hifiman-pads.888973/

Regarding "chinese knockoff pads", these ones look like quality, and user says good things about them
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mis...ith-other-brand-ear-pads.572327/post-15386876

For myself, I have ordered the following pleather pads just yesterday off aliexpress, and the necessary rings to mount them:
pleather.jpg
They also come in sheepskin leather:
leather.jpg
Thanks for the detailed reply. So far am leaning towards dekoni hybrid but on the border if/should I spend that much on pads? Is it worth it?
These AliExpress pads looks intresting. Please leave your impressions once you get them

Nov 14, 2020 at 5:13 PM Post #2,843 of 4,255
What is the difference between a hart cable and meze ? I was initially planning to get the meze balanced ones but then stumbled upon hart, they are more expensive but looks pretty. Anybody using the same hart cable or has a good similar looking but not so expensive option to share? How does it affect the sound, it does?

Nov 14, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #2,844 of 4,255
What is the difference between a hart cable and meze ? I was initially planning to get the meze balanced ones but then stumbled upon hart, they are more expensive but looks pretty. Anybody using the same hart cable or has a good similar looking but not so expensive option to share? How does it affect the sound, it does?
I'm sure you'll get some polarised answer about the effect on sound, I'm in the camp of those that think any difference you hear between 2 cables are psychoacoustics, no actual objective difference.
Others will tell you a particular material will bring out clarity, more layers in the soundstage, etc... Yeah, not one of them

Nov 14, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #2,845 of 4,255

I got a Hart cable and love it. I don't believe in cables making much of a difference if any on the sound quality, but the quality and build is fantastic. It isn't microphonic and is very soft and pliable (doesn't hold its shape). These are the two main requirements I need in a cable. It's also modular, so I can switch to balanced or use a different connector down the line if I need that.

@Hawk600us I've heard about channel imbalance on Hifiman headphones being more common than with other manufacturers. Unfortunately, I guess you just have to be vigilant and look out for this. Mine seem to be very well channel matched, but I suppose that also depends on my ability to discern this...

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #2,847 of 4,255
I got a Hart cable and love it. I don't believe in cables making much of a difference if any on the sound quality, but the quality and build is fantastic. It isn't microphonic and is very soft and pliable (doesn't hold its shape). These are the two main requirements I need in a cable. It's also modular, so I can switch to balanced or use a different connector down the line if I need that.

@Hawk600us I've heard about channel imbalance on Hifiman headphones being more common than with other manufacturers. Unfortunately, I guess you just have to be vigilant and look out for this. Mine seem to be very well channel matched, but I suppose that also depends on my ability to discern this...
Thankyou, they are about $75 with the custom interconnect, sounds quiet a bit. I needed a short 6.35 male to 4.4 female interconnect for my amp and the 4.4 to 3.5 cable for Sundara.
My Daps come with 4.4 out and this would help using Sundara btw both amp and dac. Got a bunch of iem's with 4.4 cable so the small Interconnect with 4.4 out helps. I am new to headphones so is it normal $75 for the cable?

Nov 14, 2020 at 7:43 PM Post #2,848 of 4,255
Thankyou, they are about $75 with the custom interconnect, sounds quiet a bit. I needed a short 6.35 male to 4.4 female interconnect for my amp and the 4.4 to 3.5 cable for Sundara.
My Daps come with 4.4 out and this would help using Sundara btw both amp and dac. Got a bunch of iem's with 4.4 cable so the small Interconnect with 4.4 out helps. I am new to headphones so is it normal $75 for the cable?

Yeah this is a competitive price, it is quite a bit if you're used to buying your cables on Amazon or something. I got mine for $57 shipped, but that's because I just did the dual mono 3.5mm to 1/4" interconnect. You won't find a cable of this quality and within the US for much less, usually more in fact.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #2,849 of 4,255
I just pulled the trigger for Sundara and iFi Zen Dac, so excited for these to be delivered! If anyone running is this pairing how is it? I’m holding off buying an amp just yet if this drives the cans properly in a balanced connection.

I’m sure this will complement my current HD660S (which is also a keeper!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back