HiFiMan Susvara
Jun 14, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #21,496 of 25,887
I have heard nothing but raves regarding the envy with the susvara...I own the CFA3 which I love but if I chose to try a tube amp with the susvara and abyss TC I would likely look into the envy

Jun 14, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #21,497 of 25,887
Already have both hekse and hekv2
(had also v2stealth)
Sorry to derail the Susvara amp & cable thread, but why do you state "also had v2stealth"? As far as I see it there is only the HE1000 w/Stealth Magnets - HE1000v2 and HE1000se. No mention on the HIFIMAN site stating the v2 having Stealth Magnets whatsoever unless I'm missing something?
Thanks

Jun 14, 2023 at 10:58 PM Post #21,498 of 25,887
One of the things that most impressed and surprised me about the Susvara was not that it sounded great with great recordings, but that it made poor quality historical classical music recordings enjoyable. I happened to be listening to opera recordings from the early 50's on Warner Fonit Cetra, made on subpar equipment even for the time. On speakers and on other headphones they were sometimes simply unlistenable: thin, metalic sound with no bass. I can't explain why or how, but the Susvara enabled me to enjoy and appreciate these recordings while showing all their defects. I suppose this is the "euphonic" aspect of the Susvara (it's not the "new gadget" effect, these recordings really sound better). Part of it is that the Susvara revealed details that added to the quality of the experience, like a little bit of ambiance, or nuances in performance that, while taped very poorly, were still present but not retrieved by my speakers or other HPs'.

I don't know those recordings, but i'd take sub par analog tape over the perfect "digital" sound of the 80s. We have come a long way - the high res today is great (to be clear) but yeah.

More generally the Susvara is the very best I have ever heard at home for classical works. I'm not comparing to headphones, or even speakers; i'm comparing to sitting mid orchestra at Alice Tully Hall listening to live music.

Jun 15, 2023 at 2:17 AM Post #21,499 of 25,887
The HE-adapter is supposed to "protect" HP's according to HiFiMan's website - is that what they are supposed to protect it from?

At any rate, this post pushed me back to my baseline position that I don't believe the Felix-Audio Envy can drive the Susvara to my satisfaction for classical music. Classical music has sudden spikes in very loud bass (these YT examples are limited of course, but imagine them properly recorded and presented):

I have a private recording of this work, where the bass spike looks like a very tall skyscraper in the middle of the desert on the WAV form. When I play them loud enough on my speakers the walls literally shake and my neighbors send me nasty emails (I recently paid $21,000 to install an acoustic door after 22 years of complaints). The Envy is 8W into 8 or 16 ohms according to one review I read - this is simply not enough for these sudden spikes in energy. I am considering the Vincent speaker hybrid monoblocks - if I want tubes, it has to be tube SPEAKER amps.

Get the Hifiman EF1000 (hybrid tube pre-amp and ss power amp).

It should satisfy you both for your Susvara and speakers (that are a respectably medium to high efficiency if you want to play loud) for classical music and all other music genres going from low to high energy peaks in quick successions.

Of course, a good to high quality speaker amp can also serve the Susvara well (as per many Susvara and speaker amp owners) (just be careful with the amp's / pre-amps volume knob and when turning your amp on and off if your Susvara's are still connected to it....you don't need the Hifiman Adapter box...it just reduces sound quality)

Jun 15, 2023 at 2:40 AM Post #21,500 of 25,887
Just got a new toy for Susvara to play with.

6a3cb367809b98f3d51a36d1af6c02666a87e111_2_666x500.jpeg

Jun 15, 2023 at 2:53 AM Post #21,501 of 25,887
Sorry to derail the Susvara amp & cable thread, but why do you state "also had v2stealth"? As far as I see it there is only the HE1000 w/Stealth Magnets - HE1000v2 and HE1000se. No mention on the HIFIMAN site stating the v2 having Stealth Magnets whatsoever unless I'm missing something?
Thanks
You’re spot on.

from the first release of the he1000, the versions have been:

1) he1000
2) he1000v2
3) he1000se (se = special edition)
and most recently
4) he1000 stealth edition.

when this last one was released it was being referred to by a number of names by various members, and maybe even hifiman. It was known as:
he1000v2 stealth
he1000v3
he1000v3 stealth

but i think, as you may have seen, i believe it is now referred to on the hifiman website as simply the he1000 stealth.

(and just to confuse things for some people, the he1000se (se = special edition) was the first version with stealth magnets, like the susvaras)

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2023 at 3:00 AM Post #21,502 of 25,887
Good Morning
I will be ordering some Susvara's to add to my small collection in the next week or so.

I am looking at the Viking Weave after market cables to replace the blood transfusion stock cables.

As with most after market cables there are 3 options:

Isa - Silver
Ansuz mk2 - Copper
Hybrid - They can make a Silver/Copper cable (presumably silver plated copper or interveaved silver/copper)

I'm leaning towards Isa potentially as the Lavri grand serve me very well with the Meze Elites but the Susvara is a very different animal.

Any preferences here?

I guess what I want to know is things like "I tried the Isa and it was too bright" or "I tried the copper and it was too warm" kind of opinions.

Secondly; it's quite hard to see in the pictures but the Viking Weave Isa (silver) cables look a little bulky - are they "weighty" or is this not an issue?

Thanks in advance!
Somebody mentioned here, in the last week or so, that their susvara cane with different cables - ie not the rubbery ones. See what you get as this may be a very recent change. I believe these cables may be hifimans new standard cables, at least for the susvaras and hek1000 hps.

Jun 15, 2023 at 3:00 AM Post #21,503 of 25,887
Somebody mentioned here, in the last week or so, that their susvara cane with different cables - ie not the rubbery ones. See what you get as this may be a very recent change. I believe these cables may be hifimans new standard cables, at least for the susvaras and hek1000 hps.
Will do

Jun 15, 2023 at 3:22 AM Post #21,504 of 25,887
The HE-adapter is supposed to "protect" HP's according to HiFiMan's website - is that what they are supposed to protect it from?

At any rate, this post pushed me back to my baseline position that I don't believe the Felix-Audio Envy can drive the Susvara to my satisfaction for classical music. Classical music has sudden spikes in very loud bass (these YT examples are limited of course, but imagine them properly recorded and presented):

I have a private recording of this work, where the bass spike looks like a very tall skyscraper in the middle of the desert on the WAV form. When I play them loud enough on my speakers the walls literally shake and my neighbors send me nasty emails (I recently paid $21,000 to install an acoustic door after 22 years of complaints). The Envy is 8W into 8 or 16 ohms according to one review I read - this is simply not enough for these sudden spikes in energy. I am considering the Vincent speaker hybrid monoblocks - if I want tubes, it has to be tube SPEAKER amps.

The "protection" box is simply attentuating volume to "safer" levels. but doing do by adding components that rob sound quality.

You are 100% right, there is pletny of musical examples where valves cannot hit a crescendo in the same way transistors will. What i failed to put in the paragraph was the importance of impeding matching as it seems to make a vast difference too as to how well or badly controlled the driver is. This manifests as distortion to my ears and when you are pushing to those party levels, this makes the difference. The Cayin "almost" gets there, the Keces S300 power amp DOES get there, but i find I still choose the valve magic and slightly lower volumes. Those issues would go away if the headphone were slightly easier to drive. Susvara is a crusher of decent equipment.

Jun 15, 2023 at 3:59 AM Post #21,505 of 25,887
Thanks
The current iteration of the he1000v2 has stealth magnets ( it is he1000v2 - not he1000 - with stealth magnets , therefore "v2 stealth" ), regular He1000v2 are eol - or going to be soon

He1000 is in the past from a time , not available on Hifiman.com

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #21,507 of 25,887
You’re spot on.

from the first release of the he1000, the versions have been:

1) he1000
2) he1000v2
3) he1000se (se = special edition)
and most recently
4) he1000 stealth edition.

when this last one was released it was being referred to by a number of names by various members, and maybe even hifiman. It was known as:
he1000v2 stealth
he1000v3
he1000v3 stealth

but i think, as you may have seen, i believe it is now referred to on the hifiman website as simply the he1000 stealth.

(and just to confuse things for some people, the he1000se (se = special edition) was the first version with stealth magnets, like the susvaras)
100%
The current iteration of the he1000v2 has stealth magnets ( it is he1000v2 - not he1000 - with stealth magnets , therefore "v2 stealth" ), regular He1000v2 are eol - or going to be soon

He1000 is in the past from a time , not available on Hifiman.com
You're mistaken.
Both, the HE1000 Stealth and HE1000SE only use the Stealth Magnets...not the HE1000V2 as seen on the HIFIMAN site below.
The HE1000 was the original release, then the V2, then the SE with Stealth Magnets like the Susvara as @thecrow mentioned. The latest iteration introduced of the original HE1000 now uses the Stealth Magnets as well.
HE1000 Stealth
HIFIMAN HE1000se
HIFIMAN HE1000V2

Jun 15, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #21,508 of 25,887
He1000v2 is end of line and discountinued soon , replaced by he1000(v2) stealth ,

not confident Hifiman took the old he1000 ( years old model and out of production ) , and upgraded them to stealth magnets while putting the he1000v2 apart and out of production,
in fact he1000(v2) stealth carries also upgrades that he1000v2 carried over he1000

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #21,510 of 25,887
not sure people is still interested in the genealogy - name anthology
ts been done many times on he1000 thread , use the search there for reference. V2 have better and slightly more comf build (and different pads) then V1 and
he1000(v2) stealth reflect that upgrades too

just saying

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back