HiFiMan Susvara
Mar 6, 2022 at 7:40 PM Post #14,821 of 25,756
Simply because it's not an amp factor. It's a transport, signal chain and ac mains factor. Improve those, and you can afford to get a smaller amp and make it sound much better.
Digital front end consists of Denafrips Hermes DDC and Sonnet Morpheus DAC.
Core Power Technologies 1200 sending balanced AC to all components. I think I have those areas covered pretty well.

Mar 6, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #14,822 of 25,756
Core Power Technologies 1200 sending balanced AC to all components. I think I have those areas covered pretty well.
I would agree that you do as well, yes.

I just came from a HE1000 v2, and now that I have Susvara, it has made me appreciate the HEK that much more. It is obvious that Susvara goes lower and has a better grip on the entire frequency spectrum, but the HEK is an exciting headphone. Susvara is definitely more nuanced and precise, with the ability to hear a bit more detail without being forced at you - I never really understood this until today. My cans probably only have 25 hours on them so far, so lots more to go. They seem to be getting better but I don't want to make too many assumptions just yet. What I am trying to get at (poorly) is that I am so far "satisfied" with these vs the HEKv2. The ONLY thing I miss relatively consistently is the bass rumble but Susvara is so, so good at everything else that it makes up for it.

I am relatively confident I've found my last and only headphone, and will upgrade DAC and rest of chain from here.

Mar 6, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #14,823 of 25,756
But you still have a laptop as a transport. The DDC will only clean so much. Core power 1200, while good and you have a good set vs the others here, ac power will need more cleaning. Does the Hermes at least improve the blacks by a considerable amount vs without it?

The Hermes and the 1200 should be able to make the Susvara exceed the performance of the HE1kse at least. I have the susvara and he1kv2 in comparison and I couldn't last 10 secs on the v2 on the Diablo, Hugo 2, Dave set. The he1kv2 seems to be tuned for 'lesser' setups because the bass was too much. It was pounding my ear, has elevated bass, and everything else was weak. The Susvara has amazing sub bass extension and density and weight. The only complaint was the plasticky highs and weaker mid bass weight compared to lcd5 and Stealth but this is the tuning/design/intention for the model.

The whole selling point of the Hegel is it's damping factor too. But as what others have said, power amps will give weaker bass, bass extension and such vs HP amps. This is exactly the sentiments of my friends who were using speaker amps and moved back to HP amps and dac/amp after my suggestions of fixing the source and signal chain. And this correlates to how the He1kse on your end to seemingly have more bass because it is less controlled and is excessively tuned. Susvara is more references and showed how the rest of your chain really sounds.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #14,824 of 25,756

I just came from a HE1000 v2, and now that I have Susvara, it has made me appreciate the HEK that much more. It is obvious that Susvara goes lower and has a better grip on the entire frequency spectrum, but the HEK is an exciting headphone. Susvara is definitely more nuanced and precise, with the ability to hear a bit more detail without being forced at you - I never really understood this until today. My cans probably only have 25 hours on them so far, so lots more to go. They seem to be getting better but I don't want to make too many assumptions just yet. What I am trying to get at (poorly) is that I am so far "satisfied" with these vs the HEKv2. The ONLY thing I miss relatively consistently is the bass rumble but Susvara is so, so good at everything else that it makes up for it.

I am relatively confident I've found my last and only headphone, and will upgrade DAC and rest of chain from here.
I agree with pretty much all of that. The Susvara is incredibly coherent and seamless throughout the entire frequency range.
But you still have a laptop as a transport. The DDC will only clean so much. Core power 1200, while good and you have a good set vs the others here, ac power will need more cleaning. Does the Hermes at least improve the blacks by a considerable amount vs without it?

The Hermes and the 1200 should be able to make the Susvara exceed the performance of the HE1kse at least. I have the susvara and he1kv2 in comparison and I couldn't last 10 secs on the v2 on the Diablo, Hugo 2, Dave set. The he1kv2 seems to be tuned for 'lesser' setups because the bass was too much. It was pounding my ear, has elevated bass, and everything else was weak. The Susvara has amazing sub bass extension and density and weight. The only complaint was the plasticky highs and weaker mid bass weight compared to lcd5 and Stealth but this is the tuning/design/intention for the model.

The whole selling point of the Hegel is it's damping factor too. But as what others have said, power amps will give weaker bass, bass extension and such vs HP amps. This is exactly the sentiments of my friends who were using speaker amps and moved back to HP amps and dac/amp after my suggestions of fixing the source and signal chain. And this correlates to how the He1kse on your end to seemingly have more bass because it is less controlled and is excessively tuned. Susvara is more references and showed how the rest of your chain really sounds.
Gotcha.

Mar 6, 2022 at 8:23 PM Post #14,825 of 25,756

How much more "cleaning" do I need?
This suggestion seems a bit much.

Mar 6, 2022 at 8:31 PM Post #14,826 of 25,756
How much more "cleaning" do I need?
This suggestion seems a bit much.
It's the part where the magic is, not the size of the speaker amp.
Zen stream to idefender to ipurifier to cosemi optical usb cable to idefender to ipurifier to dac. Both idefenders is being fed with multi stage voltage regulators that's equivalent to 80x lt3045. Psu is custom psu and ifi Elite. All are behind a custom dedicated line conditioners and full loom silver occ cabling. Results prove that Susvara manufacturer specs, HP calculator results and power requirements matches. And that the stock cable is actually also pretty awesome.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #14,828 of 25,756
This is how I feel about my arya and I know for sure those are getting driven just fine and on my same peasant amp. I don't feel like I am being starved in any frequency and have plenty of room for volume even with my EQ. It can do 1.4amps of current, HPA4 does 1.5amp. In fact I spend a lot of time in medium gain. So going by ear with headphones that are far more efficient, whether it be a planar or DD, that is what I'm comparing the susvara to. I think the bass is comparable to other normal headphone that produce good bass. I really don't understand the price spread between the two, other than why not ? An inefficient headphone with an absurd price tag has created lore around it, in which takes time to appreciate even from people with their "Ferrari" speaker amps.
Do you use EQ on the Arya's? What are your settings?

Mar 6, 2022 at 10:51 PM Post #14,831 of 25,756

I found the bass is so satisfying with vioelectric 281. matter of fact I sold my woo audio WA6-SE because the Vioelectric does it so well.

Mar 6, 2022 at 11:04 PM Post #14,833 of 25,756
My HE 1000se are vastly more three-dimensional than my Susvara. The Susvara sound TWO dimensional in comparison. Everything is immediate right and immediate left. The spaciousness, the air, the ambiance, everything is inferior to what I'm hearing on the 1000se. It's to the point where I'm wondering what the hell all the hype is about in relation to the many hours of reviews I've read and videos I've watched.

And with that, I'm sure I have become the least favorite Susvara owner on this thread.
@devilboy While I can't speak for others, I don't take issue with your experience. It's YOUR experience based on your equipment, so first, no guarantees that we're hearing the same things, and second, even if so, your tolerances for staging might be different from mine. Perhaps to your ears, the frequency mapping resonates differently than mine. Bottom line is we both have found what we're happy with, so... WIN! :wink:

That said, if you ever make your way to NJ, feel free to PM me, and perhaps we can do a mini-meet and compare our gear with others and see if we'll all find new things to enjoy.

Mar 7, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #14,835 of 25,756
Okay, I've officially lost my Susvaras... While my wife has been "tolerant" of my getting them, she would sort of side-eye me whenever she saw them, probably thinking, "We could've done "X" with all that money!" Well last evening we watched a movie about Aretha Franklin (Her birthday month, we HAVE to blindly go along with the birthday person's requests for the month.) And afterwards she wanted to listen to one of Aretha's songs. So I fired-up the downstairs audio rig and placed the Susvaras on her head. She started BAWLING! A "few songs" turned into a 6-hour, until 2 into morning listening session of everything from Pink Floyd to The Doobie Brothers to Peter Gabriel. Her defining statements: "I can hear COLORS in this song!", "This has ruined music for me, I'm RUINED!!", "Oh my god, I've been listening to CRAP!!!". I had to downgrade her to the HE6 v2s, because she started listening to songs that made her want to dance, and couldn't grasp that THESE aren't headphones for THAT, HE6s fall off your head and break, I can have a new set by Wednesday. These aren't replaceable like that... Her exact words: "Oh, now these are GOOD, but these aren't as 3-dimensional as those. (Susvaras) Let's go back to THOSE!"

Second clincher: She heard the difference between well-mastered audio and poorly, and didn't know why "This sounds WRONG!"

Third clincher: The HK sounded BIGGER to her, but not as clear and precise as the Burson Soloist 3XP directly.

So now I've lost my exclusive listening rig. (The horror!). I have a new audiophile neophyte to experience things with all over again!
I went the initially difficult and expensive route, which as time passed it got better and better and now all fine and peaceful........ I Got Divorced ! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back