HiFiMan Susvara
Dec 12, 2023 at 6:45 PM Post #22,802 of 25,819
Sounds interesting. I might take a look at the inferno. Just sent them an email for a 2m length cable.

Burn them in for at least 150 hours. They take awhile to open up and settle down

Dec 12, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #22,803 of 25,819
I agree HE6 and Susvara do not sound the same to me. The HE6 is more punchy, direct and aggressive/raw with a sometimes almost piercing treble. Susvara is more refined, relaxed and smooth sounding.
They don't sound the same, but they sound far closer than HE1000se and Susvara. HE1000se is never going to kick in the bass regardless of the chain. Maybe we're having different experiences due to silent revisions? 🤷

Dec 12, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #22,804 of 25,819
wow, from amps to cables lol....

Dec 12, 2023 at 8:07 PM Post #22,805 of 25,819
What's their turn around time though? Don't they take forever after an order is placed?
mine was preorder for one of their v2 so it did take a little longer. About a month or so.

Dec 12, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #22,806 of 25,819
I heard some good feedback about the new Grand Palladium cables from ZMF and I’m of the mind to try them out (they’re not terribly expensive and they’re on introductory sale til the end of the year too).

Dec 13, 2023 at 1:01 AM Post #22,807 of 25,819
Going to add my two cents. I heard the Susvara a few weeks ago driven by HeadAmp's prototype CFA3 (feedback enabled) fed with the Chord Hugo TT2. Some braided silver cable was used.

I thought the Susvara was the only headphone in the demo that could compete with the Stax SR-X9000 in the electrostat's strong points of layering and openness. The Sus also had more sub-bass and a more cohesive and more relaxed presentation of sound thanks to slightly recessed vocals and midrange compared to the X9000 which sort of pushes vocals front and center both in terms of imaging (less cohesion but more layering) and FR emphasis (less relaxed but more energetic/engaging). Treble on the Susvara was slightly sharper and a bit "crunchy" when playing sounds like white noise or similar (common in some EDM tracks) as opposed to a smooth "ssshhhh". I could sense a bit of excess treble sharpness on the leading edges of transients, which wasn't harsh or painful, but sometimes distracting. Maybe a different amp or DAC would resolve that. While I also had the HD800S and DCA Corina in that big comparison, by halfway through the demo it had mostly devolved into a Susvara vs X9000 contest.

If I had to give up my electrostatics, then I'd get the Susvara, no question. It's the most estat-like of the non-estats I've heard while also having the sub-bass that estats usually lack. At the moment though, I'm set on getting the SR-X9000 and my Shangri-La Jr is generally similar enough to the Susvara, and - in my chain - better in terms of that relaxed and cohesive presentation to contrast against the X9000, that I don't see the need to own both. But the Susvara really is a top-tier headphone in my book.

Dec 13, 2023 at 1:23 AM Post #22,808 of 25,819
susvara is the only headphone i've heard that seemed to transcend the headphone listening experience due to its 'natural' timbre and open presentation

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 2:17 AM Post #22,809 of 25,819
I believe the Hifiman Susvara's stock cable is a copper & silver hybrid cable not a pure copper cable !

Dec 13, 2023 at 7:50 AM Post #22,811 of 25,819
Going to add my two cents. I heard the Susvara a few weeks ago driven by HeadAmp's prototype CFA3 (feedback enabled) fed with the Chord Hugo TT2. Some braided silver cable was used.

I thought the Susvara was the only headphone in the demo that could compete with the Stax SR-X9000 in the electrostat's strong points of layering and openness. The Sus also had more sub-bass and a more cohesive and more relaxed presentation of sound thanks to slightly recessed vocals and midrange compared to the X9000 which sort of pushes vocals front and center both in terms of imaging (less cohesion but more layering) and FR emphasis (less relaxed but more energetic/engaging). Treble on the Susvara was slightly sharper and a bit "crunchy" when playing sounds like white noise or similar (common in some EDM tracks) as opposed to a smooth "ssshhhh". I could sense a bit of excess treble sharpness on the leading edges of transients, which wasn't harsh or painful, but sometimes distracting. Maybe a different amp or DAC would resolve that. While I also had the HD800S and DCA Corina in that big comparison, by halfway through the demo it had mostly devolved into a Susvara vs X9000 contest.

If I had to give up my electrostatics, then I'd get the Susvara, no question. It's the most estat-like of the non-estats I've heard while also having the sub-bass that estats usually lack. At the moment though, I'm set on getting the SR-X9000 and my Shangri-La Jr is generally similar enough to the Susvara, and - in my chain - better in terms of that relaxed and cohesive presentation to contrast against the X9000, that I don't see the need to own both. But the Susvara really is a top-tier headphone in my book.
I heard the X9000 in this year’s Canjam and also thought it was one of the best cans I heard other than the Sus, even if I had a chance to listen to the HE-1 that morning in a private listening hotel room.

Dec 13, 2023 at 7:54 AM Post #22,812 of 25,819
I heard the X9000 in this year’s Canjam and also thought it was one of the best cans I heard other than the Sus, even if I had a chance to listen to the HE-1 that morning in a private listening hotel room.
X9000 is like a uber Susvara for me, even more natural and the sound is coming out of nowhere. But it doesn't have the bass I'm looking for and it even does the stax fart / clipping when boosting the subbas. Even the 007 had better bass than that. Even though I was ready to put sell everything for the X9000, I picked the Susvara.

Dec 13, 2023 at 8:52 AM Post #22,813 of 25,819
If I had to give up my electrostatics, then I'd get the Susvara, no question. It's the most estat-like of the non-estats I've heard while also having the sub-bass that estats usually lack.

It is definitely the most e-stat like headphone of any other I've ever heard. And although smoother in tonality, there are a lot of similarities in what it and the 009 do. I've done a lot of back and forth comparisons of the two over the years. Lot of head time given to both.

Dec 13, 2023 at 12:41 PM Post #22,814 of 25,819
I tried Dekoni hybrid pad. It has similar thickness, but it compress less. This gives couple of extra mm for ears and it is really more comfortable. I didn't like sound, though. It takes away too much treble to my taste.
I just bought the Hybrid Elite and wondering if they are still the same for you. Not compressing, still have the same space?

The stock is exactly 1mm to small for me. My ears are touching the panel.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #22,815 of 25,819
Just got the Prelude. Unfortunatly it has a power noise in it, like a buzzing sound coming from the amp, it doesn’t go away. Really annoying. Besides from that, only tested it with meze elite so far, and they are fairly easy to drive. Can’t tell much difference to the moon 430, the moon is a tiny bit more transparent and the prelude is a touch more warm.

But a set of new Susvara is on its way 🥳 (shouldn’t have sold them earlier this year🙈) and we’ll see if the prelude betters the moon with the susvara :)

Still have the heimdall 2 headphone cable to pair with the sus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back