High-End Audiophile Headphones For Acoustics With Powerful Midrange
Nov 21, 2012 at 5:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

audiophile6500

New Head-Fier
Hola people! This is my first thread here (and maybe by 100th time :D). I cannot imagine a better website for this kind of genre, and I just love every aspect of it. So some background info of me just to introduce myself: I started out as a basshead. Bass was all I ever cared about, and Datsik was my favorite. Over the years, I grew up, matured a little more, and now simply ADORE the Piano Guys. Only in my dreams have a pianist and cellist come together and demonstrate the true meaning of music. I currently own an Audio Technica ATH M50. No other headphones have beat it in terms of what I want-a powerful and outgoing midrange. The Denon AH5000 had beautiful acoustic capability, but the midrange was awfully laid back. That's why I am posting this thread. I want to upgrade to better headphones, and I'm willing to spend all the was up to $2000 on it including price for an amplifier and accessories. I don't care if they are open or closed, but I don't want an awful lot of sound leak. I also would like to be as portable as possible with them, so I want to get something I can carry around with a top notch quality portable amplifier. In terms of sounds, my number one importance is acoustics and a powerful midrange. Most of my music is performed by orchestras and/or bands, hence the acoustics. I want them to be brought out and sound a bit "fun." I also want a powerful midrange. I've seen bass develop all these years, but no one seems to care so much about the mids and highs. I want a powerful, outgoing, and simply outstanding midrange that just blasts through my ears. I also want to feel "close" to my music, not sitting on the last row at a concert. If it helps, my favorite song is Carol of the Bells by the Piano Guys. Thanks so much in advance! :D

Nov 21, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
Hola people! This is my first thread here (and maybe by 100th time :D). I cannot imagine a better website for this kind of genre, and I just love every aspect of it. So some background info of me just to introduce myself: I started out as a basshead. Bass was all I ever cared about, and Datsik was my favorite. Over the years, I grew up, matured a little more, and now simply ADORE the Piano Guys. Only in my dreams have a pianist and cellist come together and demonstrate the true meaning of music. I currently own an Audio Technica ATH M50. No other headphones have beat it in terms of what I want-a powerful and outgoing midrange. The Denon AH5000 had beautiful acoustic capability, but the midrange was awfully laid back. That's why I am posting this thread. I want to upgrade to better headphones, and I'm willing to spend all the was up to $2000 on it including price for an amplifier and accessories. I don't care if they are open or closed, but I don't want an awful lot of sound leak. I also would like to be as portable as possible with them, so I want to get something I can carry around with a top notch quality portable amplifier. In terms of sounds, my number one importance is acoustics and a powerful midrange. Most of my music is performed by orchestras and/or bands, hence the acoustics. I want them to be brought out and sound a bit "fun." I also want a powerful midrange. I've seen bass develop all these years, but no one seems to care so much about the mids and highs. I want a powerful, outgoing, and simply outstanding midrange that just blasts through my ears. I also want to feel "close" to my music, not sitting on the last row at a concert. If it helps, my favorite song is Carol of the Bells by the Piano Guys. Thanks so much in advance! :D

Heya,

Ultrasone Signature Pro or a Mr Speakers Mad Dog. You don't need a high-end portable amplifier. A simple Fiio E17 will be great for home and on the go.

The piano guys are amazing. I listen to them on my Hifiman HE-500 hooked up to a tube DAC and a speaker amp. Bone chilling good mids. Not portable and not closed back though.

Very best,

Nov 21, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #3 of 7
Hey, thanks for the reply. Weren't the Signature Pros more neutral? Do they still have a forward, strong midrange. I don't know much about the Mad Dogs. I'm also open to IEMs that have these qualities.

Nov 22, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #4 of 7
Sounds to me like you're just begging for an Audio Technica ATH-ES10.

ES10 has a very forward midrange. A lot more detailed and accentuated than M50. In fact, if you have heard ES10, then M50 would sound "mid-recessed".

And it has the same bass impact as D5000.

Plus you don't need any amp at all. It plays well out of anything.

Nov 23, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
Hey, thanks for the reply. Weren't the Signature Pros more neutral? Do they still have a forward, strong midrange. I don't know much about the Mad Dogs. I'm also open to IEMs that have these qualities.

Nope the Sig Pro dont have a forward midrange at all. I wouldnt suggest them, having owned a pair before. For my taste they don't deliver a perfomance anything close to their asked price. The sound is very dry with a small soundstage. Also anakchan found a variety in tonal signature between different Sig Pro models which doesnt gain my trust with Ultrasones capability to build headphones of that pricerange.
I'd say the W3000ANV from Audio-Technica (one of my current headphones) is exactly what you want minus the portability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back