High End Closed Headphones (More and more options, anyone heard a few?)
Apr 15, 2012 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

MorbidToaster

Headphoneus Supremus
So I've been searching for a closed can to be my second go to for a long time. There weren't that many options up until fairly recently but now with so many hitting at once I'm not sure where to look anymore so I'm looking for impressions and comparisons on the various choices.

Ultrasone Signature Pro
ATH W3000ANV
Fostex TH900
Beyer T5p

etc.

I'm open to more options of course, but these are the ones I've been looking at the closest lately.

I'd like them to scale fairly well with better gear but still be somewhat easy to power as they might get used outside the house on rare occasions. 

Apr 15, 2012 at 10:15 PM Post #2 of 21
When you say out of the house, do you mean on the go? I'd never bring the TH900 or W3000ANV outside...
I have the Beyer T5p and they definitely do scale well. To the point where listening from an ipod (the whole point of these was to be able to be driven from a portable player) is a horrible experience (well, horrible for that price range but it can't be helped).

Apr 15, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #3 of 21
Not like...walking around. By out of the house I mean in a nice case and then maybe out at a coffee shop if I'd be there for a few hours. 

The TH900 would be okay me thinks, but the W3000 wouldn't go out. The Wing design is just too ridiculous. 

The Signature Pro or T5p would be the best choices there, but I want to know how they compare to the other options like the 3000. A really good sounding closed can is the main goal above all else.

Quote:
When you say out of the house, do you mean on the go? I'd never bring the TH900 or W3000ANV outside...
I have the Beyer T5p and they definitely do scale well. To the point where listening from an ipod (the whole point of these was to be able to be driven from a portable player) is a horrible experience (well, horrible for that price range but it can't be helped).

Apr 16, 2012 at 1:23 AM Post #4 of 21
How about the Ed8s, especially considering how compact/light they are and how well they are indeed driven out of an iPod.

I haven't heard any of the other phones mentioned in this thread, but I did have both L3000s (well, it's been awhile, but those were my main cans for 1.5 years) and the W1000x and have listened to 900 pros.  I think the Ed8s would probably would give the L3000s a run for their $$ and at least to my ears are clearly better than the others by a good degree... and then they're just so freakin' easy to drive.  

Of course they're pricey for what they are, but thanks to Head-fi you can get good deals used.

Apr 16, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #6 of 21

Quote:
How about the Ed8s, especially considering how compact/light they are and how well they are indeed driven out of an iPod.

I haven't heard any of the other phones mentioned in this thread, but I did have both L3000s (well, it's been awhile, but those were my main cans for 1.5 years) and the W1000x and have listened to 900 pros.  I think the Ed8s would probably would give the L3000s a run for their $$ and at least to my ears are clearly better than the others by a good degree... and then they're just so freakin' easy to drive.  

Of course they're pricey for what they are, but thanks to Head-fi you can get good deals used.

I'm pretty much in love iwht my edition 8s too :wink:

Apr 16, 2012 at 5:24 AM Post #7 of 21
Add another vote for the Edition 8.

I just took my Edition 8 along with me on a short 3 day trip last weekend with my portable rig (see sig) for the first time, made the plane ride so much more enjoyable - especially on the return trip when the guy next to me were using leaky earbuds and had the music turned up so loud that my friends two seats away from me could hear his death metal music, I put on my Edition 8 and played my own music and I was instantly transported to my own little happy world.  Also the headphones would fit easily into a messenger bag with rooms to spare, though the leather bag is very nice looking I kind of think it doesn't offer enough protection, anyone found a good replacement case for the Edition 8? 

Also the AT woodies aren't portable at all due to their unique headband design which is not collapsible - in fact my T1s would fold smaller than my W1000x.   

Apr 16, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #8 of 21
I vote for the Signature Pro, they sound awesome and are perfect for on the go, far more durable than an Edition 8.

Apr 16, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:
What about the Denon D7000? The whole DxK line up has been gaining popularity lately, for that matter.

This is a good choice if you are looking for high end. 

I've bought and sold the D7000. Not my choice for sound sig anymore and they would be a significant downgrade from my LCD 2. Looking for a sidegrade.

As for the ED8s...There's just something about them I dislike. I can't exactly put my finger on it.

Also guys...Remember portability is NOT a huge priority. I just want a great closed can. The woodies would probably never leave the house.

Apr 16, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #12 of 21
I'm perfectly fine with bringing my T5ps outside. I'd be more worried about carrying around a pair of Ed8s though (or some woodies).
Have you considered the sig pros? Honestly I think the T5p is great for an all around usage. For solely home use there are better options but I can run it from anything, any where.

Apr 16, 2012 at 9:53 PM Post #13 of 21
JVC HP-DX1000

The Denons.
The ATs.
The Ultrasones.

Not sure if you would consider them high end, but the T70 and DT770.

There is a Stax or two that is closed.

There are some closed monitoring headphones.

I'm not sure what else.

My vote would be W3000ANV and D7000, but that's what I have.

Apr 16, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #14 of 21
The Signature Pros are at the top of the list right now. They were mentioned in the first post. 

Quote:
I'm perfectly fine with bringing my T5ps outside. I'd be more worried about carrying around a pair of Ed8s though (or some woodies).
Have you considered the sig pros? Honestly I think the T5p is great for an all around usage. For solely home use there are better options but I can run it from anything, any where.

While I'd love to own a Stax 4070 I'd get an 007 first. Gonna be awhile as I need to finish upgrading my sources first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back