High End DIY amp advice, help with suggestions please!
Oct 28, 2012 at 2:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ferday

1000+ Head-Fier

I'm interested in a high end desktop DIY AMP for my HE-400's (specifically) which are planar magnetic.  I would prefer solid state...but only because i've never worked with or used tubes before, so if a tube/hybrid will help with SQ then fine.

i've been researching a lot (but just beginning stages), at the moment looking at the CK2III (amb) and some of pete millet although all of his are hybrids (again, i'm interested in opinions on this, thanks head fiers)

don't really have a budget although with my prior DIY projects, i should be able to get superior quality for the price....so would like to be around $3-400 max for the parts and less if possible.  my DIY level is technically expert although i've never worked with audio before, i can't see it different than video which i have a lot of experience with .

so...i guess the end question is which amps (outside the CK2III) should i be looking at, and should i be making considerations based on my planar phones?  also looking at the beta22 which looks like a lot more power output.

thanks for any advice whatsoever, and links are uber-appreciated!  

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #2 of 16
I'm currently working on putting together a M^3 amp to use with my HE-400's, I'll let you know how it goes. I chose the build because the M^3 is a fast amp with plenty of power, and decent options

Oct 30, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #3 of 16
ive got a set of he-4's and i have to say that they sound quite good with my pete millet starving student. im going to be building a CTH Rev A from cavalli audio soon as ive read its great with orthos. its a hybrid as well. if i were you i wouldnt close the lid on tubes just because youve never worked with them. who knows, you might like tube better than solid state! i find the warmth that tubes can bring to the table really balances out my he-4's.

Oct 31, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #4 of 16
try this bro

http://www.wiredstate.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=20434&sid=6de8ac6225fb2e1bd5c0d216acc9c28b

not sure if the images are still there though. images are blocked in the office =(

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:
try this bro

http://www.wiredstate.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=20434&sid=6de8ac6225fb2e1bd5c0d216acc9c28b

not sure if the images are still there though. images are blocked in the office =(

that is gorgeous and exactly what i have in my mind, thanks!  i don't suppose you have any further links, i couldn't see any in the post...

Nov 2, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #6 of 16
I have a balanced M^3 that works very, very well with my He-500s and He-5LEs.  I don't have the HE-400s but I can't imagine my balanced M^3 won't be more than enough.

Nov 2, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:
I have a balanced M^3 that works very, very well with my He-500s and He-5LEs.  I don't have the HE-400s but I can't imagine my balanced M^3 won't be more than enough.

looks awesome, thanks!

i'm still putting together parts lists and checking stuff on digi-key etc...trying to see how much an UBER high end setup (B-22) will cost compared to a "lower" high end setup like the m3, ck2III, etc.  i'm not terribly interested in a balanced setup, but would like the flexibility as i'm sure i'll want to go there at some point.  i tend to do my DIY projects all or nothing so the b22 is attractive now...but i think it may cost more than i think even as a DIY unit, something like the m3 with a DIY DAC could be fun too!

i noticed you run a b22 (and a ck2iii)...if you could share comments on those units vs. the m3 i would really, really appreciate it!  
especially if you have an idea on cost LOL...although cost isn't really an issue, i'm interested in something "high end" and flexible and i lean towards complicated...(and solid state!)

Nov 5, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #9 of 16
Stop making me want to turn my M^3 into a balanced M^3! My base build isn't even done yet
wink.gif

Nov 5, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Do it, do it, do it......You wont regret it.

does it really improve sq that much? ive heard both sides and i dont really know what to think. i though that the purpose of balanced output was to eliminate common mode noise.

also while im here, does anyone know how orthos do with the m^3? right now i have a set of hifiman he-4's and a starving student. sound is good but i feel like an upgrade

Nov 5, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Do it, do it, do it......You wont regret it.

hi, hope you won't mind answering one more question for me

i like the idea of the bass boost on the m3...but only because i would turn the bass pad into a variable gain control, which i would find useful, especially with some new cans coming (AKG701).   i was wondering if you had any comment on the "coloration" of the amp...dark, bright, etc.?  i find my he400's dark, wouldn't mind a bright mid focused amp which i've heard the ck2iii is

thanks again, and nice setups you have!

Nov 5, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:
does it really improve sq that much? ive heard both sides and i dont really know what to think. i though that the purpose of balanced output was to eliminate common mode noise.

also while im here, does anyone know how orthos do with the m^3? right now i have a set of hifiman he-4's and a starving student. sound is good but i feel like an upgrade

If your looking to improve SQ then it's not going to do that for you.  The sound of the amp is going to be the sound of the amp.  What is does do for you is increase the power, voltage swing and decrease the noise.  The balanced M^3 will take better control of the HP drives this will show in the bass region as the bass will get tighter with better attack.  

SQ is a different thing and you can't change the SQ by going balance.  You have to change amps.

As for the orthos and the M^3.  I prefer my HE-500s on the M^3 while I prefer my HE-5LE's on my B22.  The M^3 is a smoother, I don't want to use the word darker but the M^3 tames headphones with harsh and bright highs like the HD800.  I love them on the M^3.  I only tried a few headphones on a SE M^3 - I'll tell you - the difference is there.  Not in SQ but in driver control and power. 

Nov 5, 2012 at 5:48 PM Post #14 of 16
I would highly, highly recommend a Cavali Audio Bijou or Cavali Audio EHHA Rev A (MOSFET version).

Nov 5, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #15 of 16
looks like balanced it is! i guess im not the best at describing sound, but thats what id be looking for by going balanced, better driver control.

i dont find the highs of my he-4's overly bright, so im not sure if i want them tamed. im not sure if the starving student is adding anything to them, but since its tube, i figure if there is any coloration, its in the mids. cant really afford to build a balanced b22 atm though. might be going with cth, although ive never heard of a balanced cth

Users who are viewing this thread

Back