High-end onboard audio VS dedicated AMP/DAC (for 250 Ω)
Jan 8, 2020 at 5:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Windforce0511

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I just bought the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ω and I can say that I have never heard such a detailed sound.

What interests me is whether I should consider an AMP/DAC combo like FiiO E10K or SMSL SD 793II, since I have an onboard 'good' system ALC1220 with two op-amps and a 'dedicated headphone amplifier' (up to 600 Ω) with Nichicon capacitors.

At 50%, the headsets are more than loud enough. Am I losing something else using onboard audio? Will the sound be further refined using FiiO or something similar (if possible because even now sound is crystal clear).

- video I just uploaded so you can see how loud they sound

Please share your experience with me! Thanks

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X370-GAMING-PRO-CARBON.html
(if you want scroll to audio section on main page and click on it for more details about sound system on my board)

Jan 8, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #2 of 5
Me, I would replace the DT990 Pro 250-Ohm headphones,before getting a DAC/amp (or sound card).
To me the DT990 (250-Ohm) has a loud, but crude bass, and I like a tighter (more controlled) bass.

A Topping DX3 Pro or a Xduoo XD-05 DAC/amp, might improve the DT990.

Jan 8, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #3 of 5
The DT990 is for micro details so it has high sibilance, as you may hear the very strong "s". I have the 880 myself and my onboard audio ALC 1150 is already good enough for 250ohms. But in games the volume is still too low so got the E10K myself. (I blame the game devs, not the audio manufacturers) If I were you, I would use the onboard audio, especially if you have it on 50%.

Jan 8, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #4 of 5
Hello everyone,

I just bought the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro 250 Ω and I can say that I have never heard such a detailed sound.

What interests me is whether I should consider an AMP/DAC combo like FiiO E10K or SMSL SD 793II, since I have an onboard 'good' system ALC1220 with two op-amps and a 'dedicated headphone amplifier' (up to 600 Ω) with Nichicon capacitors.

At 50%, the headsets are more than loud enough. Am I losing something else using onboard audio? Will the sound be further refined using FiiO or something similar (if possible because even now sound is crystal clear).

- video I just uploaded so you can see how loud they sound

Please share your experience with me! Thanks

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X370-GAMING-PRO-CARBON.html
(if you want scroll to audio section on main page and click on it for more details about sound system on my board)

Chances are your motherboard running off that PSU hooked up to wall power might have more power for not much more distortion (and possibly even noise) compared to something like the Fiio E10K or the newer K3 powered by USB on the motherboard.

That SMSL might make a little bit of difference but I wouldn't really bet on it.

You might as well save up for something else and just listen to your system as is for now.

Jan 9, 2020 at 4:16 AM Post #5 of 5
Chances are your motherboard running off that PSU hooked up to wall power might have more power for not much more distortion (and possibly even noise) compared to something like the Fiio E10K or the newer K3 powered by USB on the motherboard.

That SMSL might make a little bit of difference but I wouldn't really bet on it.

You might as well save up for something else and just listen to your system as is for now.
Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back