Hiking - Camping -Fi
Oct 22, 2021 at 6:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

SilverEars

Headphoneus Supremus
Share your experiences with hiking/Camping related gear.

I started getting into hiking recently, and been looking around for the right hiking shoes.

The type of shoes that generally seems to be popular for hiking is Marrell Moab Vent. Personally, I didn't like the feel of the sole, it feel in the thinner side. I did feel comfortable around the top of the foot and wide room inside the shoe, but the sole was a letdown.

I tried out Oboz Sawtooth 2, and it turned out to be a keeper. It has fairly good cushion for a hiker, but also very stiff bottom sole. For sharp rocks and stuff, this works extremely well that I have no worries about my foot being beat around. The only thing I don't like is that the toe box feel narrow for wide size. I recommended it for it's performance in protecting the feet. It's perfect for terrains with lots of rocks that are pointy.

Oboz-Sawtooth-II-Low-Waterproof.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #2 of 9
I plan on doing some camping with the family this spring and summer. Hopefully this thread can get going.

If audio equipment wasn't expensive enough, I'm finding decent camping equipment isn't cheap either.

Jan 18, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #3 of 9
I've backpacked the Pacific Crest Trail about 1 and a half times, and hiked many other trails. I'm planning to thru-hike the John Muir Trail with my wife and young kids the summer after next. Backpacking is my only hobby that takes precedence over audio. I could comment on Zpacks tents, Tarptent tents, sleeping quilts and pads, shoes (esp La Sportiva), water treatment, and just about anything else for backpacking if anyone is curious on anything in particular. That's all to say, basically, that I also hope this thread gets going!

Jan 19, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #4 of 9
I've backpacked the Pacific Crest Trail about 1 and a half times, and hiked many other trails. I'm planning to thru-hike the John Muir Trail with my wife and young kids the summer after next. Backpacking is my only hobby that takes precedence over audio. I could comment on Zpacks tents, Tarptent tents, sleeping quilts and pads, shoes (esp La Sportiva), water treatment, and just about anything else for backpacking if anyone is curious on anything in particular. That's all to say, basically, that I also hope this thread gets going!
I was looking at some images of the Pacific Crest Trail. Some of the views look amazing. I'm not a hiker but I can understand why people enjoy it.

Jan 19, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #5 of 9
I was looking at some images of the Pacific Crest Trail. Some of the views look amazing. I'm not a hiker but I can understand why people enjoy it.
It's amazing. Nothing short of amazing.

Dec 8, 2022 at 4:52 AM Post #6 of 9
Share your experiences with hiking/Camping related gear.

I started getting into hiking recently, and been looking around for the right hiking shoes.

The type of shoes that generally seems to be popular for hiking is Marrell Moab Vent. Personally, I didn't like the feel of the sole, it feel in the thinner side. I did feel comfortable around the top of the foot and wide room inside the shoe, but the sole was a letdown.

I tried out Oboz Sawtooth 2, and it turned out to be a keeper. It has fairly good cushion for a hiker, but also very stiff bottom sole. For sharp rocks and stuff, this works extremely well that I have no worries about my foot being beat around. The only thing I don't like is that the toe box feel narrow for wide size. I recommended it for it's performance in protecting the feet. It's perfect for terrains with lots of rocks that are pointy.

Going to test my Sawtooth 2 for hunting(I'm pretty much set on the rest of my hunting gear https://gritroutdoors.com/hunting/ at this point. Gonna report back once I'm done.
Merrel went down in quality a lot over last years(had to throw my last pair after like 3 months). So far been using LOWAs but sounds like Oboz is decent.
Anyone doing some winter camping this year?

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 6:17 AM Post #7 of 9
I have an addiction to outdoors/milspec clothing.
I've tried most brands now and have settled on those that work for me. Mainly.
Shoes have to be Under Armour Valsetz combat boots.
Socks British Army issue summer weight.
Trousers have to be Montane or Undr Armour.
Jackets Snugpak or Arktis.
Montane for bags.

I used Meindl boots for a long while but the longevity has dropped.
Montane jackets are great but too snug on the beer reservoir. Had one for five minutes last year that made me look like a string of sausages..

Can't beat Goretex for wet weather gear IMO.

If on a budget US forces gear is fantastic quality.
I've had tons of it and still have a couple of Polartec fleeces and an '80's USAF parka.

Jul 4, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #8 of 9
I have been using Salomon trekking boots for many years. But unfortunately, now their quality has dropped a lot. Now I'm wearing Italian SCARPA. And there are also classic leather Zamberlan, probably the last trekking boots that are still sewn in Italy...

Jul 14, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #9 of 9
Have been so busy with school and work the last few years I've not made it out to the trails in far too long. I convinced some family to give camping a first try though and we'll be hitting up the Ice Age Trail near Kettle Moraine in a few months. Looking forward to finally getting back to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back