[HIRING] Massdrop hiring Audiophile Buyer
Sep 22, 2015 at 2:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

WillBright

100+ Head-Fier

Buyer, Audiophile

at Massdrop (View all jobs) San Francisco

Overview:

Massdrop is searching for a Buyer to continue to build and expand our Audiophile community. As an Audiophile Buyer, your responsibilities will be to coordinate all aspects of Massdrop’s purchasing cycle. This includes identifying new products that would meet the demands of our Audiophile community, reaching out to vendors with access to those products, executing product launches, and ensuring that the products are sent out to the community smoothly. In this role, you will be responsible for engaging users in discussions, identifying new products, working with new and existing accounts, organizing product releases, and more. This is a challenging role, requiring sales or consulting experience and strong critical reasoning skills.

Responsibilities
  1. Identify and source compelling products that are desired by the Audiophile community
  2. Negotiate deals with vendors on behalf of the Audiophile community
  3. Work with cross-functional teams to ensure successful campaigns
  4. Perform analysis on existing sales and make strategy adjustments where applicable
  5. Monitor and engage with the Audiophile community through polls and discussions
Qualifications
  1. Strong work ethic and ability to work in a fast-paced environment
  2. Attention to detail and strong analytical skills
  3. Strong computing skills with experience in online communities (i.e. forums, reddit) a plus
  4. Strong written and verbal communication skills
  5. Demonstrated passion for the enthusiast customer
  6. Buying or sales experience and business knowledge preferred
  7. Experience in consulting or finance a plus

Application Instructions

Please include your resume and cover letter, making sure to highlight your business acumen.

Other details

This is a full-time on-site position at our San Francisco office

About Massdrop

Recognized by Inc. Magazine as one of the fastest growing companies in San Francisco, Massdrop represents a new type of online experience that combines community, content and commerce. Massdrop provides enthusiasts across several communities—from audio and electronics to quilting and ultralight—a place to connect with one another, discuss their favorite products and activities, and buy those products together.

Massdrop just raised $40 million in a Series B round of financing led by August Capital. The new round brings Massdrop’s total funds raised to about $48 million, which includes top investors, Mayfield, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, First Round Capital and Cowboy Ventures. Massdrop will use the financing to fuel its rapid growth and deliver on its vision for a new wave of community-driven commerce.

Sep 22, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #3 of 24
  Application Instructions

Please include your resume and cover letter, making sure to highlight your business acumen.

Other details

This is a full-time on-site position at our San Francisco office

Hold on here.....

Are you seeking an Audiophile......or a business school bean counter?  Doubt you'll find both in a single hiring.

Sep 22, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #5 of 24
Hm... I'm surprised you don't have a "reviewer" position yet for new products - get one of the more famous reviewers here (e.g. Brooko, Money4me247, Twister6, Joker) to actually review new audiophile products being featured on head-fi, and sales should shoot up.

Not like that sales department flop with the new Dacport Slim, if I may say so 
frown.gif

Sep 22, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #6 of 24
Will you be at RMAF?

Sep 22, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #8 of 24
I think all audiophiles are buyers.

Haha liked this one

I have to say, I really like the idea of massdrop and bought already some stuff from there. But when they began I did some calculations, and I can't understand how they earn any money at all.
I mean, it's really cool for us the clients, but how do they profit from it? I don't think that they get sooo much better prices, and then they have employees to pay, storage, shipping.... they have to have so small margins for this big of an effort, I really don't get it.

Anyway, thanks for the service, it's awsome :)

Sep 22, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #10 of 24

Hold on here.....

Are you seeking an Audiophile......or a business school bean counter?  Doubt you'll find both in a single hiring.

That's a ridiculous assertion.  Why in the world can't someone with a business school degree be an audiophile? 

Sep 22, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #11 of 24
If I were in San Francisco... :frowning2:
Great opportunity!

Sep 23, 2015 at 2:00 AM Post #13 of 24

That's a ridiculous assertion.  Why in the world can't someone with a business school degree be an audiophile? 

Didn't say it was impossible.  Merely said it's unlikely.  How many bean counters do you know that truly qualify as audiophiles? 

Sep 23, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #14 of 24

Didn't say it was impossible.  Merely said it's unlikely.  How many bean counters do you know that truly qualify as audiophiles? 

I have a business school degree, work in accounting for my day job, and appreciate music and gear.  Not sure that "qualifies me" as a "true audiophile" but last I checked, you didn't need to "qualify" to be an audiophile -- you just need to love audio.  

It seems to me that you're implying that there's something inherently different about "bean counters" that makes us not like music or something.  It also seems that you're disparaging us when you use the term "bean counter".  You might consider being a little more open minded to the idea that music is universal and anyone can appreciate it, no matter their chosen profession.

Sorry for the OT post, Will.

Sep 23, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #15 of 24

I have a business school degree, work in accounting for my day job, and appreciate music and gear.  Not sure that "qualifies me" as a "true audiophile" but last I checked, you didn't need to "qualify" to be an audiophile -- you just need to love audio.  

OK...congratulations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back