Holo Audio Cyan 2 DAC
Apr 14, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #616 of 880
3 years warranty
This is good point but on the other hand if it's not dead on arrival there is nothing to break for years. I got a lot of gear from hifigo and never had any issues.

Apr 14, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #620 of 880
Can someone maybe comment on the soundstage of the Cyan? Besides all "limitations" I really want this DAC as my first NOS R2R... :D (Currently running an Delta Sigma SMSL SU-10.)

I love my Abyss Diana TC with exception of the soundstage (coming from Hifiman...) So I'd like a DAC which compliments this a little...

Apr 14, 2024 at 7:25 PM Post #621 of 880
Here some first impressions comparing Wandla and Cyan 2.

Setup: Wandla fed by DMP-A6 USB, Cyan 2 with Ropieee USB, both going into HM1. Everything on an PQ 707 conditioner. Grouped together in Roon for direct A/B on HM1. Wandla running internal HQ Apod OS, Cyan 2 running Roon OS precise linear 705/768kHz + HQ Player 1.5MHz. Listening with Tungsten DS.

I can't shake off the feeling that I hear very similar things like back when I was comparing Wandla with my Spring 3 KTE I had back then 👀.

Wandla is a bit quicker and more transient forward and detailed, Cyan 2 a bit smoother in the treble with a bit fuller and natural sounding mids (beautiful vocals esp.) But both beautiful in their own way and it comes down to preference/music. Really splitting hairs. They perform both in very similar technical territory imo. Especially with full HQP OS on Cyan 2 they are very close from each other. One song I might prefer on Wandla, the other on Cyan 2.
One thing I noticed in the bass is that Wandla seems to pronounce more the initial bass impact and Cyan 2 sounds a bit fuller with more emphasis on the bass body.
Overall HQP helps Cyan 2 to catch up on Wandla - especially concerning placement precision and layering.
So in sonic performance alone they are on very similar levels for me. Only that Cyan 2 needs some external help from HQP to get there - Still sounding good in NOS/Roon OS but then the delta to Wandla is more obvious - and NOS is a pretty special sound on it's own, I think, so hard to compare directly. Very similar of what I felt with Spring 3. Only that that costs quite a bit more.

Cyan 2 is as barebones of a DAC as you can get. Only control is the power switch. I think not including an input selector is the biggest flaw I can see people having issues with. For me it's a non issue because it will only play on one source in my 2ch setup. But on a setup where you want to combine streamer and PC for example I can see this quickly being a deal killer. Who wants to always turn off or unplug one source to play the other one? But maybe also a concious decision to have some separation to Spring 3.
Of course talking from memory but to my ears, in my setup, I'd say for sound alone Spring 3 isn't really worth it over Cyan 2 - if you don't need the features or option for pre of course.

Honestly I didn't expect Cyan 2 to do this good in my comparison. But it seems to confirm my positive initial impressions using it in my 2ch system in the first days of use. So if you need a DAC for one source with no other gimmicks/controls - setup once and never touch again - then I think Cyan 2 is an excellent option. Especially at its price.

1713137114868.png

Apr 14, 2024 at 10:16 PM Post #622 of 880

Setup: Wandla fed by DMP-A6 USB, Cyan 2 with Ropieee USB, both going into HM1. Everything on an PQ 707 conditioner. Grouped together in Roon for direct A/B on HM1. Wandla running internal HQ Apod OS, Cyan 2 running Roon OS precise linear 705/768kHz + HQ Player 1.5MHz. Listening with Tungsten DS.

I can't shake off the feeling that I hear very similar things like back when I was comparing Wandla with my Spring 3 KTE I had back then 👀.

Wandla is a bit quicker and more transient forward and detailed, Cyan 2 a bit smoother in the treble with a bit fuller and natural sounding mids (beautiful vocals esp.) But both beautiful in their own way and it comes down to preference/music. Really splitting hairs. They perform both in very similar technical territory imo. Especially with full HQP OS on Cyan 2 they are very close from each other. One song I might prefer on Wandla, the other on Cyan 2.
One thing I noticed in the bass is that Wandla seems to pronounce more the initial bass impact and Cyan 2 sounds a bit fuller with more emphasis on the bass body.
Overall HQP helps Cyan 2 to catch up on Wandla - especially concerning placement precision and layering.
So in sonic performance alone they are on very similar levels for me. Only that Cyan 2 needs some external help from HQP to get there - Still sounding good in NOS/Roon OS but then the delta to Wandla is more obvious - and NOS is a pretty special sound on it's own, I think, so hard to compare directly. Very similar of what I felt with Spring 3. Only that that costs quite a bit more.

Cyan 2 is as barebones of a DAC as you can get. Only control is the power switch. I think not including an input selector is the biggest flaw I can see people having issues with. For me it's a non issue because it will only play on one source in my 2ch setup. But on a setup where you want to combine streamer and PC for example I can see this quickly being a deal killer. Who wants to always turn off or unplug one source to play the other one? But maybe also a concious decision to have some separation to Spring 3.
Of course talking from memory but to my ears, in my setup, I'd say for sound alone Spring 3 isn't really worth it over Cyan 2 - if you don't need the features or option for pre of course.

Honestly I didn't expect Cyan 2 to do this good in my comparison. But it seems to confirm my positive initial impressions using it in my 2ch system in the first days of use. So if you need a DAC for one source with no other gimmicks/controls - setup once and never touch again - then I think Cyan 2 is an excellent option. Especially at its price.

1713137114868.png
Gorgeous setup!

Apr 15, 2024 at 2:59 AM Post #623 of 880

1713137114868.png
One way to overcome some of the limitations not having an input selector could be what I did. I understand, it is a very niche solution but might give an idea to some users. Many streamers have inbuilt DACs which we often don't utilise as we have a better DAC for music listening. My main chain is EverSolo USB to C2 for music (using XLR between C2 and my amp) and PC into EverSolo using the streamer's inbuilt DAC via RCA to my amp. Switching is easy and this way I can still watch movies or YT via the lesser DAC of the EverSolo but fully enjoying music with the C2. In this scenario the input switch is on the EverSolo app and my amp.

Apr 15, 2024 at 3:09 AM Post #624 of 880
Thank you for the comparison! As I was really curious about the wandla you just killed one hifi bug :). I would not like to go down on the rabbit hole but with hqplayer what was your settings?Did you test dsd and pcm? As I understand with dsd there is no r2r circuit utilitiezed. What was you source in roon, files or streaming?

Apr 15, 2024 at 5:45 AM Post #625 of 880
Hi,
Anyone compared the sound out of Cyan 2 and Spring 3 level 2?

Apr 16, 2024 at 4:14 AM Post #627 of 880
Apr 16, 2024 at 8:49 AM Post #629 of 880
Which rack is that, the hs400? I tried to find a good one for my stack and this must have not existed yet, so I made my own, but I like this better
I think yours looks really nice - my only hesitation with it would just be airflow on the lower shelves, unless you have vents cut into the sides

Users who are viewing this thread

Back