Holo Audio May DAC Speculation
Mar 29, 2024 at 10:54 AM Post #1,171 of 1,289
Will do!

Do you have full setting for HQP? (appreciate a pm too)

Mar 29, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #1,172 of 1,289
Did you use HQPlayer or PGGB upscaled files? NOS? or did you use the PCM/DSD OS settings. Without HQP or PGGB, you're only experiencing part of its capabilities.
Well, it was connected to the Gato. Source was cd transport. No playing around with anything. Just cd, amp and speakers.
Could be that you are right, that i am missing some capabilities, but the thing is that for me, a more expensieve DAC then my amp - so amp, dac and Bluetooth in one - should be showing his awesomeness right away. Does not matter in which configuration, using those thing you mentioned is a kind of cheating. For me. Ok maybe if it would wow me in a simple chain like mine, but it did not.

Mar 29, 2024 at 7:37 PM Post #1,173 of 1,289
Has anyone come from a Topping dac or similar to the May?? Can someone tell me it will be a massive jump ?? :'D I was hoping to find a used unit, but currently their are 3 WTB posts for the May and my patience is not great. Thinking to just pull the trigger on a new L2 unit.

Btw on converting an EU unit to North America here is Tims response from Kitsune for others who may be interested in the future:

I owned a Matrix X-Sabre Pro DAC & at the audiosciencereview measured it & rated it one of the top DACs they ever measured. Several people did measurements on the May as well & the measurements are nearly identical. So they should sound the same right?
I really liked the X-Sabre Pro before getting the May, but when I got the May & did A/B tests between the two, it wasn't even close. In every comparison, the X-Sabre Pro was completely flat, closed in & 2D sounding compared to the May.
That was with testing all the various options & filters the X-Sabre had, which slightly altered the sound, but never changed it from being the closed in, flat 2D sound in comparison to the May.

It too me less than a hour of testing the two, to figure out it was a waste of my time going any further.

Apr 9, 2024 at 5:55 AM Post #1,175 of 1,289
Asking in both May and Envy threads...would stacking a Feliks Envy (fairly hefty tube amp) on top of a Holo May cause too much heat in the May? I've heard the May runs hot but I have a space issue on my desk! The May manual doesn't mention any advice on this.

I mean, I think I know the answer to this :)

Apr 9, 2024 at 6:01 AM Post #1,176 of 1,289
Going from Chord DAVE > Holo May initial impressions are WOW. Very impressed.

Instrument separation and imaging, not to mention tonality is absolutely beautiful. Feels like I'm listening to music, not a digital representation of high-quality audio files.

Too early to say much more, but it's off to a phenomenal start for a machine that costs about £2k less for me.

Apr 9, 2024 at 6:29 AM Post #1,177 of 1,289
Asking in both May and Envy threads...would stacking a Feliks Envy (fairly hefty tube amp) on top of a Holo May cause too much heat in the May? I've heard the May runs hot but I have a space issue on my desk! The May manual doesn't mention any advice on this.

You shouldn't place something on the top of the May, but take a look into the manual:
May DAC --> May Power supply --> headphone amp like your Envy.

Apr 9, 2024 at 6:31 AM Post #1,178 of 1,289
You shouldn't place something on the top of the May, but take a look into the manual:
May DAC --> May Power supply --> headphone amp like your Envy.
Sorry, not sure what you mean by the DAC > Power supply directions.

Apr 9, 2024 at 6:43 AM Post #1,180 of 1,289
On the bottom the DAC itself, above the May power supply and on the top the Envy.
It doesn't actually say in the manual which to put on top of the other. I've put the power supply on the bottom as per pictures of Mays online.
What would be the benefit of putting the DAC on the bottom?

Apr 9, 2024 at 7:15 AM Post #1,181 of 1,289
It doesn't actually say in the manual which to put on top of the other. I've put the power supply on the bottom as per pictures of Mays online.
What would be the benefit of putting the DAC on the bottom?
You cannot stack hot components directly on the dac section of the May. The PSU doesn't get that warm so if you have the dac on the bottom and PSU on top that's fine, depending on heat output of the top component.

I stack my Zahl HM1 which also dissipates 50-60W on top in this fashion and it's completely fine. During summer I put a small noctua fan on the side at 350rpm to cool but it's more a peace of mind thing than a necessity I believe.

Apr 9, 2024 at 11:10 AM Post #1,182 of 1,289

I use the Bliss amp with my May DAC and stack them. The correct order is to place the May DAC on the bottom, the power supply for the May DAC in the middle and the Bliss Amp on top. So you would place your envy on top in pace of the Bliss amp. This should be fine.

The weight of the Bliss and Envy should be similar, but you might want to check. Also please check the dimensions of each to make sure the Envy’s feet will fit on top of the May’s PSU.

Apr 9, 2024 at 11:15 AM Post #1,183 of 1,289
I use the Bliss amp with my May DAC and stack them. The correct order is to place the May DAC on the bottom, the power supply for the May DAC in the middle and the Bliss Amp on top. So you would place your envy on top in pace of the Bliss amp. This should be fine.

The weight of the Bliss and Envy should be similar, but you might want to check. Also please check the dimensions of each to make sure the Envy’s feet will fit on top of the May’s PSU.
Thank you! So strange that every picture I could find online, including Goldensounds review etc, all had the DAC on top. As I say, there was nothing in the manual for guidance. Will alter now. Thanks again!

Apr 9, 2024 at 11:19 AM Post #1,184 of 1,289
Thank you! So strange that every picture I could find online, including Goldensounds review etc, all had the DAC on top. As I say, there was nothing in the manual for guidance. Will alter now. Thanks again!
I don’t remember if it is in the May’s manual, but it is listed in the manual for the Bliss. Here is a picture of my stack:

IMG_5744.jpeg
IMG_5743.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back