Holo Audio Red Streamer
May 2, 2024 at 12:03 PM Post #1,876 of 1,914
i think you're making it too complicated. first thing to understand is that the NAA runs on the red -- no other computer needs to have NAA on it.

in my opinion, you should put hqplayer and roon on your powerful pc and just let it run all of the time -- you want qobuz and tidal routed through hqplayer too!! i doubt it uses too much electricity at idle. so the chain would be roon/hqplayer (pc) > naa (red) > may

an alternative is to keep hqplayer on your powerful pc and put roon server on another pc. i don't see why you would want to do this if your intention is to listen to all music via hqplayer (which you should if you have it). the chain here would be roon (nuc) > hqplayer (pc) > naa (red) > may

This has been the best setup for me...

Mac Mini M1 (roon server + hqp) connected to network

WA33 (AMP) XLR -> Holo May (DAC) USB -> Holo Red -> connected to network

I use the roon mobile app on tablet or phone or any computer (laptop, desktop) that connects to the roon server on Mac Mini.

The Mac Mini M1 is powerful enough to use sinc-L and up to 1.536M

May 2, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #1,878 of 1,914
The good thing with the Red: You can use it for multiple services at once.
For you (and also I do it):
(i) as NAA client: Roon --> HQPlayer --> RED with output 1 (for example USB to May)
(ii) as Roon endpoint: Roon --> RED with output 2 (for example I2S to May).

In the second case, the Red will shown with Red OS as Roon Ready.
Will this scheme work if I load the naa signalyst version into Red?

May 2, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #1,881 of 1,914
You've to use the version for the RPi4/3.
After installing, activate NAA:
1000006625.jpg

May 2, 2024 at 11:15 PM Post #1,883 of 1,914
Just tweak squeezelite to use giant buffers and save your money :beyersmile: there won't be any network traffic to "manage" during playback.

I can click play, unplug the network, and the entire track will continue to play though.
Yes, theoretically you are right.
What Jplay said may not be a reason or may only be one of the reasons. I wonder if the effect or said 'noise' has been carried since you send a control command to your player device. 🤔😵‍💫

Last edited:
May 4, 2024 at 3:41 PM Post #1,884 of 1,914
Hello everyone,

really get mad with the configuration of Holo Red - maybe you can help me here? 🙏🏻

Is ist possible to run the Holo as a DDC (USB B IN) and put the Signal out via USB A? What do I have to configure? I thought I can manage this with the setting USB-Redirector - but I have absolutely no clue how to manage this. I only get an output signal via the Digital Outs (Optical etc.).

May 4, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #1,885 of 1,914
Hello everyone,

really get mad with the configuration of Holo Red - maybe you can help me here? 🙏🏻

Is ist possible to run the Holo as a DDC (USB B IN) and put the Signal out via USB A? What do I have to configure? I thought I can manage this with the setting USB-Redirector - but I have absolutely no clue how to manage this. I only get an output signal via the Digital Outs (Optical etc.).
You can't do USB in and out, but can do network in USB out

May 5, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #1,887 of 1,914
Updated the Red OS release to 2024.04.21 the other day. Didn't note any obvious changes in the settings option except the two options right at the top:
Compatibility Mode (can select multiple services) or Performance Mode (only one service). Not sure if Performance Mode would be any different than selecting Compatibility Mode and then only choosing one service... Anyway I set mine to Performance Mode since I need only one service anyway.

Since then I have noted a random and occasional stutter when playing. The stutter is brief, maybe 250ms duration and is not repeatable on demand. Happens only once per occurance and seems to happen after roughly 60-70 minutes of listening and then not again for another hour or so. I didn't think to note if it does this with DSD but it's happened numerous times with PCM.

This is connected via USB to Holo May KTE, NOS mode, PLL Off. Feed is via wired network controlled by Roon. Roon is Upsampling PCM to 705.6 or 768. None of this is different than before the Red update when I never had this occur.

Have set the Red to Compatibility Mode and will report back if it happens again. If so, I'll remove upsampling and see how that goes.

How would one go back to the previous OS?

Cheers,
Robert

May 5, 2024 at 8:45 PM Post #1,888 of 1,914
At this point I've got several hours of listening in with zero stutters having only changed the Reds mode from Performance to Compatibility.

All previous listening sessions with the Red in Performance mode had at least one or two instances of stutters.

It's looking like a bug in my view.

Cheers,
Robert

May 7, 2024 at 6:43 AM Post #1,889 of 1,914
How would one go back to the previous OS?
It's always a good idea to create a backup image of your current card configuration before running an update. This will allow you to burn a new card with old OS if you have a problem with updated OS.

May 11, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #1,890 of 1,914
Least helpful reply after the fact and it's not the question.

The question is where are the older revisions of the Red OS available? I've sent Holo in the US a support query but don't expect them to reply for weeks or months. Probably ever to be honest.

Incidentally, the stutters happen in either mode.

Cheers,
Robert

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back