Holo Audio Spring R2R DAC
Jan 25, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #1,726 of 4,067
I've had a dozen or more email exchanges with Tim and he has answered every single one. A few takes 1-2 days just due to work load. Perhaps I can offer some practical tips:
  • I try to keep email chains relatively short and start new ones so an addition to a chain doesn't appear as an old issue.
  • I send a reminder and make it clear if something is urgent if I need a faster response.
I realize I shouldn't have to "think" on how best to get support for any products I own, but I have found that most of the headfi equipment I have come from very small family owned businesses and have to think a little differently. If anyone has ever tried to email Ray Samuels at RSA, I think you guys know what I mean. Great guy, but prefers live phone call.

Is it worth all this at the end of the day? For me, absolutely! The great thing is that these businesses are so passionate about their products and will never sell you something that they themselves would not love.

Jan 25, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #1,727 of 4,067
I've had a dozen or more email exchanges with Tim and he has answered every single one. A few takes 1-2 days just due to work load. Perhaps I can offer some practical tips:
  • I try to keep email chains relatively short and start new ones so an addition to a chain doesn't appear as an old issue.
  • I send a reminder and make it clear if something is urgent if I need a faster response.
I realize I shouldn't have to "think" on how best to get support for any products I own, but I have found that most of the headfi equipment I have come from very small family owned businesses and have to think a little differently. If anyone has ever tried to email Ray Samuels at RSA, I think you guys know what I mean. Great guy, but prefers live phone call.

Is it worth all this at the end of the day? For me, absolutely! The great thing is that these businesses are so passionate about their products and will never sell you something that they themselves would not love.

Excellent suggestions. I go back over emails often to see if I missed any. Can’t see any that I’ve missed. But I definitely have missed a few emails considering I get 50-100 a day and do my best to reply to everyone. I appreciate a follow up email if it’s urgent. And forums are certainly not where I’ll be found too often. If I miss any emails, I certainly apologize. Often I’ve found that my replies will end up in people’s junk folders or they simply get missed in the midst of other emails. I’m here to help everyone and love helping those as passionate as I am about audio. Send me a message again if urgent and most likely I won’t miss an email twice :) I sure hope not!. Usually my response can be 1-2 business days on average and expected except sometimes around holidays or family emergencies :)

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2018 at 2:06 AM Post #1,729 of 4,067
I placed my order today for the L3 dac and SU-1 DDR. I'm thankful to Tim for reaching out to me today and patiently explaining everything. He left me impressed with his knowledge and customer focus. Thanks Tim !

Jan 29, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #1,732 of 4,067
Thanks for sharing! Since you have an SU-1, you may want to try the coax from SU-1 to Hugo 2. All of the digital out ports on the SU-1 transmit simultaneously.
I bought a FiiO L21 Coaxial cable to do this test.
No signal is apparently arriving to the Hugo2.:triportsad:
The SU-1 is also connected to my Spring via I2S and on this side of the path everything works well.
Any ideas?

Jan 29, 2018 at 1:07 PM Post #1,733 of 4,067
I bought a FiiO L21 Coaxial cable to do this test.
No signal is apparently arriving to the Hugo2.:triportsad:
The SU-1 is also connected to my Spring via I2S and on this side of the path everything works well.
Any ideas?

I am not too familiar with coax but I have seen the mini 3.5mm end have 2, 3, or 4 pole design. For Fiio, you must have 4 pole. I have a Fiio Q5 and it works great with the SU-1 with the Fiio cable. Maybe H2 uses 2 or 3 pole? I would ask Chord.

Even on the Q5, the coax is miles better than USB. Much more "analog" sounding while retaining all the details. I will never connect a DAC to USB from this day forward LOL.

Jan 31, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #1,734 of 4,067
Is I2S the best input for this DAC? and SU-1 the way to go? or does anyone have a better suggestion? Buying USB to I2S specifically for this DAC.

Jan 31, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #1,735 of 4,067
Is I2S the best input for this DAC? and SU-1 the way to go? or does anyone have a better suggestion? Buying USB to I2S specifically for this DAC.
With microRendu+LPS-1 as the (USB) source, I've found the following ranking: USB>SU-1>I2S is better than USB>Schiit Eitr>coax is better than straight USB for this particular DAC.

Jan 31, 2018 at 11:57 PM Post #1,736 of 4,067
Is I2S the best input for this DAC? and SU-1 the way to go?
I did extensive listening tests and comparisons. The I2S input performed the best, the AES input was slightly behind it. I found the “raw” USB input fairly weak. (No USB decrapifiers)

Feb 1, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #1,737 of 4,067
Thank you guys - Ill look to buy an SU-1.

Do you guys think adding a microrendu before the SU-1 helps? Currently I'd be going straight from laptop to SU-1

Feb 1, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #1,738 of 4,067
The microrendu will definitely help compared to connecting the SU-1 directly to a computer.

Feb 1, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #1,739 of 4,067
Do you guys think adding a microrendu before the SU-1 helps? Currently I'd be going straight from laptop to SU-1
No need for the Sonore in your chain. Laptop --> SU-1 --> Holo Spring will work great for you.

If you want to get fancy you can throw some $$ at the USB decrapifier of your choice.
Depending on the quality of your laptop's USB signal/clock - USB tweaks may or may not be worth the investment.

Feb 1, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #1,740 of 4,067
The microrendu will definitely help compared to connecting the SU-1 directly to a computer.
I would agree that the Sonore MicroRendu won't "hurt" performance. I don't know if I would categorize it is a "must have" tweak for the proposed audio chain.
I imagine that @Jozurr can go straight from the laptop --> SU-1 and would be very pleased with the results, without the extra expense of the MicroRendu

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back