Home built head-amp for audition and honest feedback
Jul 27, 2013 at 10:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Rossliew

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey all,

I have with me a home built transformer coupled tube headamp which I would be happy to introduce to anyone who is interested to give it a listen. All I ask in return is honest feedback, not limited to the sound i.e. feel free to discuss its build quality, aesthetics, etc and advice as to improvements, if any.

This is a an affordably built amp and I find it a very good match with my HD650 and RS1 (which I have since sold). 

As I've read before in another thread (which I can't specifically recall), I would like to circulate this amplifier to anyone who is interested to listen and write a review on it to be posted in these forums. If anyone is interested, kindly add your name to this thread and leave me your contact details by PM and I will arrange to have the amp shipped to your address. Once you are done with it, please send it off to the next name on the list and so forth. Would a 2 week period per person suffice for a good listen? The amp is already well run in so you can discount that factor. Feel free to roll tubes if you have any.

I will enclose some pictures herein. If there is no interest, then I shall continue listening to it myself.

Many thanks in advance for your support and feedback.

Cheers,
Ross

Jul 27, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #2 of 6
I suggest you contact Skylab or Tyll and see if you can send it to them, if they're interested (they may not be with their busy schedule).  Otherwise, you might check the "Meets" forum section and see if you can find a volunteer to show it at a meet.

Jul 27, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the suggestion, TomB. Unfortunately as I am based in Malaysia, I am not able to physically bring it to any of the cool meets you guys have. Nonetheless, I will try to contact Skylab and Tyll.

Thanks again.

Jul 27, 2013 at 7:41 PM Post #5 of 6
Before I picked up my Little Dot, I had pondered that amp, but there was something about it I just didn't like...

This is the one I looked at:

www.siliconray.com/audio-amateur/amplifiers-w-case/6n2-6n1-6z5p-tube-hifi-headphone-amp-kit.html

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Jul 27, 2013 at 10:51 PM Post #6 of 6
Cool, it looks very similar! Thanks for the link. All I can say is it sounds great with a 300ohm Senn.

Granted, it doesn't look as classy but with that kinda price, it's worth a try. I'm having another one built but with a different set of tubes which are not usually used in a tube amp configuration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back