Just sharing a clear build. :)

Attachments

• IMG_20240113_095509.jpg
    IMG_20240113_095509.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Jan 14, 2024 at 4:00 AM Post #15,769 of 16,085
Hi
I’m trying my new iem setting.
woofer - 31618, mid - 1723wt03/9, high - swfk or rdu or rau.
How about this combination? Or do you have a recommend mid driver?
This would all depend on your target design. I routinely design set-ups with literal flat or somewhat wonky FR with a goal of maximizing the headroom of each driver. Then, in practice (on stage performance, Front of House, etc) I depend on the external active EQ of the wireless IEM mix stations. The freedom to push and pull the drivers to any setting without worry of overload or break-up, is a MUST when your stage sound fluctuates between brass instruments, to 808s and even acoustic vocal sessions on occassions.

now, if you are striving for something more in the hifi audiophile realm, my live configurations wouldnt workout all that great unless you’re cool with a bunch of manual EQ manipulation between almost every recorded track or movie.

long story short, determine what you will use them for (casual listening, audiophile, live performance monitors, etc.). Then, determine your preferred FR. Look at the Knowles preferred listening curve or the traditional Harmin graph for the most universally approved initial sound quality.

ps. - keep your source audio in my mind as well. Switching between different types of hardware will produce a different sound stage. They may get quietter, louder, mid-crunched, bass overdriven, or high tinny.

some traditionally great combos that sound great and arent pre-built plug-n-plays are:
3-driver
sonion 2389 + sonion 33AJ007i/9

3-driver
knowles CI 22955-000 (digits might be a little off lol) + ED29689+WBFK

4-driver
sonion 2389D + sonion 38DIXJ001Mi/8a

4-driver
knowles HODVTEC + TWFK

I prefer, along with a few others in here, the knowles SWFK / WBFK / RAU 34832 for highs vs the Sonion NON-electrostatic models.
IMO, Sonion excels in subwoofer design and full range armatures. Their plug-n-play selection is top shelf as well. Beats the sometimes muddy mids and often dark tonality of the Knowles pre-builts. Knowles has such awesome clarity in there upper-mid to high frequency drivers. Also, a couple of workhorse classics that STILL make up some exceptional high end sound designs are the Knowles RAB, Knowles ED, and the big body classic CI 22955.

The name of this game is develop a target, identify potential components, determine crossover components, dampers, testing rigs, and be prepared for a massive amount of breadboarding and SPL analysis followed by impedance response of each driver in circuit. As @mattmatt would say, “Thats the best part.” And @piotrus-g would say, “the absolute best investment for the long term builder.”

Jan 14, 2024 at 4:05 AM Post #15,770 of 16,085
Wa, professional build. Excellent. I'll still cannot reach your level.
@mattmatt been stealing my work pics like Steve Harvey stealing jokes from Katt Williams. 😂😂😂😂😂 I kid! @mattmatt has the clear shell and plate fame down to a science. always exceptional and never amber burnout or over cured lacquer layers. Always showing off beautiful work.

Jan 14, 2024 at 4:18 AM Post #15,771 of 16,085
IMG_0289.jpeg

Here’s a smattering of build designs from last year. My transparent shells are always a bit on the warm side of clear. Can never get them to a true clear at the end. Always always, the final lacquer coat will tinge ever so slightly.

Attachments

• IMG_0553.jpeg
    IMG_0553.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0556.jpeg
    IMG_0556.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0554.jpeg
    IMG_0554.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0555.jpeg
    IMG_0555.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0121.jpeg
    IMG_0121.jpeg
    317.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0120.jpeg
    IMG_0120.jpeg
    334.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0119.jpeg
    IMG_0119.jpeg
    323.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 4:18 AM Post #15,772 of 16,085
This would all depend on your target design. I routinely design set-ups with literal flat or somewhat wonky FR with a goal of maximizing the headroom of each driver. Then, in practice (on stage performance, Front of House, etc) I depend on the external active EQ of the wireless IEM mix stations. The freedom to push and pull the drivers to any setting without worry of overload or break-up, is a MUST when your stage sound fluctuates between brass instruments, to 808s and even acoustic vocal sessions on occassions.

now, if you are striving for something more in the hifi audiophile realm, my live configurations wouldnt workout all that great unless you’re cool with a bunch of manual EQ manipulation between almost every recorded track or movie.

long story short, determine what you will use them for (casual listening, audiophile, live performance monitors, etc.). Then, determine your preferred FR. Look at the Knowles preferred listening curve or the traditional Harmin graph for the most universally approved initial sound quality.

ps. - keep your source audio in my mind as well. Switching between different types of hardware will produce a different sound stage. They may get quietter, louder, mid-crunched, bass overdriven, or high tinny.

some traditionally great combos that sound great and arent pre-built plug-n-plays are:
3-driver
sonion 2389 + sonion 33AJ007i/9

3-driver
knowles CI 22955-000 (digits might be a little off lol) + ED29689+WBFK

4-driver
sonion 2389D + sonion 38DIXJ001Mi/8a

4-driver
knowles HODVTEC + TWFK

I prefer, along with a few others in here, the knowles SWFK / WBFK / RAU 34832 for highs vs the Sonion NON-electrostatic models.
IMO, Sonion excels in subwoofer design and full range armatures. Their plug-n-play selection is top shelf as well. Beats the sometimes muddy mids and often dark tonality of the Knowles pre-builts. Knowles has such awesome clarity in there upper-mid to high frequency drivers. Also, a couple of workhorse classics that STILL make up some exceptional high end sound designs are the Knowles RAB, Knowles ED, and the big body classic CI 22955.

The name of this game is develop a target, identify potential components, determine crossover components, dampers, testing rigs, and be prepared for a massive amount of breadboarding and SPL analysis followed by impedance response of each driver in circuit. As @mattmatt would say, “Thats the best part.” And @piotrus-g would say, “the absolute best investment for the long term builder.”
Wow, your mention is very impressive.

Thank you

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 4:28 AM Post #15,773 of 16,085

My first target fr graph is andromeda 2020.
I made it like a andromeda (it takes about 6 months, becase i was a newbie)
Now i want to start second project. Maintain woofer & high ba that i used, i want to change mid driver for making more vocals.
In the first project , i used 26821 for mid driver.
It feels good, but not great. So I consider to change mid driver. I want to get more db in mid range. Maybe using 26821 X 2 also can be a solution. Before trying this, i want to find another driver for it.

Thank you
For ease of install and total warmth, the CI will get you there. Providing both solid low end and focused mids. Plus, its a BEAST on the volume output aspect. You can also look at combining one or two RAB 32257’s with a dynamic as your sub and your choice of tweeter. RAB’s by themselves can sound amazing for a casual listening set. There’s a build design 500,000 pages back that describes in detail the Zobel and damper set-up to go along with the 4 RAB driver configuration. RAB excels in almost every single frequency range except for the high-end extension piece. Might want to seek out the WBFK or use a properly designed wiring circuit for the 3-solder pad ED model, the 29689. It tends to get a tad more sibilant and crunchy sometimes so you might have to put on series resistor prior to the your series capicitor.

Jan 14, 2024 at 4:31 AM Post #15,774 of 16,085
IMG_0289.jpeg
Here’s a smattering of build designs from last year. My transparent shells are always a bit on the warm side of clear. Can never get them to a true clear at the end. Always always, the final lacquer coat will tinge ever so slightly.
@piotrus-g have you ever used the flouescent yellow PR-1 from pro3dure back in your traditional P-n-P days of shell building?

i could never get the slight cloudiness out of it, as you can see in the pics.

Jan 14, 2024 at 4:33 AM Post #15,775 of 16,085

My first target fr graph is andromeda 2020.
I made it like a andromeda (it takes about 6 months, becase i was a newbie)
Now i want to start second project. Maintain woofer & high ba that i used, i want to change mid driver for making more vocals.
In the first project , i used 26821 for mid driver.
It feels good, but not great. So I consider to change mid driver. I want to get more db in mid range. Maybe using 26821 X 2 also can be a solution. Before trying this, i want to find another driver for it.

Thank you
Are these sonion models or knowles? Its way too early in the morning for my long term memory storage to activate. 😂😂

Jan 14, 2024 at 11:25 PM Post #15,780 of 16,085
Are you establishing an SOP for a wireless bluetooth set? Is the microphone for noise cancellation + transparency mode?

This will be for a normal audio signal, no microphones just usound conamara speakers in the photo. Currently trying to find a quiet and flat enough mid/high BA. May need a RAF/RAB but working on something similar to 29689 now. Need to get the phase right with the mems, then figure out something for bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back