Home-Made IEMs
Jan 1, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #4,246 of 16,072

Does the same apply to the use of an inline resistive load inserted between a DAP and a sensitive pair of CIEMs?

Incidentally, whilst I certainly don't claim to understand the underlying technicalities, I have subjectively experienced, first-hand, a very undesirable change in signature when driving a pair of UM Miracle CIEMs from a DAP with too high an output impedance (resulted in splashy, grainy treble and rolled-off bass response).

Every component have an influence.

Jan 1, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #4,247 of 16,072
Example:

http://pro.ultimateears.com/adjustable-ambient-filters-196

I've been discussing this today, with a couple of other head-fiers, and the consensus is that some find it helpful in reducing hiss, with very sensitive CIEMs, but, although we don't necessarily dispute it's ability to reduce hiss, others (myself included) have misgivings about undermining the purity and integrity of the playback chain.

Jan 1, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #4,248 of 16,072
  Example:

I've been discussing this today, with a couple of other head-fiers, and the consensus is that some find it helpful in reducing hiss, with very sensitive CIEMs, but, although we don't necessarily dispute it's ability to reduce hiss, others (myself included) have misgivings about undermining the purity and integrity of the playback chain.

You might want to pop over to the ER4 thread. Etymotic uses a similar adapter to this to go from the ER4P to ER4S. It's effects are well documented there.

Jan 1, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #4,249 of 16,072

Example:

You might want to pop over to the ER4 thread. Etymotic uses a similar adapter to this to go from the ER4P to ER4S. It's effects are well documented there.

True, but the ER4P is only a single armature - still relevant, but perhaps not to the same degree as multi-BA CIEMs

Jan 1, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #4,251 of 16,072
  It's a Lpad... and works with all IEMS.

LOL - yes I realise that it can work with all IEMs - my distinction pertained to probable greater unevenness in frequency response when used with a multi-BA design than when used with a single BA.

More opportunity for things to go awry, thus giving CIEM-buyers and CIEM-designers sleepless nights! 
wink_face.gif

Jan 2, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #4,254 of 16,072

It is a 3mm LRA prototype , the two coils are working together and optimised to the magnetic pattern of the magnets

I'm trying to remove the bass drivers from my ciems in order to use bone conduction for the lowest octaves

Well, I have just checked this site for more information about LRA http://www.precisionmicrodrives.com/vibrating-vibrator-vibration-motors/linear-resonant-actuator-lra-haptic-vibration-motors ...interesting stuff.
Have you tried it? How are the bass frequencies using bone conduction? How does it feel like? Can you differentiate between various low frequencies, say 125hz vs 40 hz? 

Jan 2, 2016 at 5:15 AM Post #4,255 of 16,072
  Well, I have just checked this site for more information about LRA http://www.precisionmicrodrives.com/vibrating-vibrator-vibration-motors/linear-resonant-actuator-lra-haptic-vibration-motors ...interesting stuff.
Have you tried it? How are the bass frequencies using bone conduction? How does it feel like? Can you differentiate between various low frequencies, say 125hz vs 40 hz? 

Traditional LRA are optimized to have a peak resonance around 200Hz.

"How are the bass frequencies using bone conduction? How does it feel like?" i'm working on it ! (very very personnal feeling IMHO)

It requires the highest degree of customisation.

Mechanoreceptor 
Best at Sensing (Modality)
Frequency Range
Merkel’s Cells
Pressure (slower movements)
0.4 - 100 Hz (5 - 15 Hz peak)
Ruffini Ending
Pressure (slower movements)
7 Hz
Meissner’s Corpuscle
Touch (faster movements), Vibration
10 - 200 Hz (10 - 50 peak)
Pacinian Corpuscle 
Vibration
40 - 800 Hz (200 - 300 Hz peak)

Jan 2, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #4,256 of 16,072
Well, you are definitely taking it the the next level :)
I know about bone conducting headphone using your scull as a resonator but I never tried it. Have you tried those, if so how do they sound?
I assume you are using the same concept and limit the vibration frequency for bass only, will you need to provide external additional AC power for the LRA?

Jan 2, 2016 at 6:30 AM Post #4,257 of 16,072
  Well, you are definitely taking it the the next level :)
I know about bone conducting headphone using your scull as a resonator but I never tried it. Have you tried those, if so how do they sound?
I assume you are using the same concept and limit the vibration frequency for bass only, will you need to provide external additional AC power for the LRA?

You should read the amazon users comments about bone conducting earphones
evil_smiley.gif

I was thinking mysef a tad ridiculous on the first atempt (lot of time wasted to design and build LRAs and control circuitry) but it works... and it is utterly fun.
My circuit operate with one CR123 li-ion cell and can deliver 2W rms to the transducers

Sorry, the transducer is too shy to be on the photo
rolleyes.gif

Jan 2, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #4,258 of 16,072
After seeing Silverprout's pictures of the diy driver I ended up on a very long & varied Google adventure last night looking up different diy driver projects.

I came across AMT drivers, and wondered if there was an IEM version available, which then led me to the OBravo website (http://www.obravoaudio.com/). They have micro AMT and micro planar magnetic drivers available in their IEMs. Supposedly they are the first ones to offer this.

Has anyone had a chance to hear these? Or heard of anyone selling these micro drivers?

Anyone have any idea how to build one? I did a lot of looking around and could not find anything.

Jan 2, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #4,259 of 16,072
  After seeing Silverprout's pictures of the diy driver I ended up on a very long & varied Google adventure last night looking up different diy driver projects.

I came across AMT drivers, and wondered if there was an IEM version available, which then led me to the OBravo website (http://www.obravoaudio.com/). They have micro AMT and micro planar magnetic drivers available in their IEMs. Supposedly they are the first ones to offer this.

Has anyone had a chance to hear these? Or heard of anyone selling these micro drivers?

Anyone have any idea how to build one? I did a lot of looking around and could not find anything.

A FR of waterfall graph should be interesting IMHO.

Jan 2, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #4,260 of 16,072
2V RMS? That's quite a lot to be used on the go. Interesting, would be great if it can be fed directly from the DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back