How 2 audiophile
Apr 1, 2014 at 3:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

KingCzar

aka Sorpanino (not to be mistaken for Sopranino)
Ok can you guys give me pointers as to what I should learn about headphones and get educated about sound? I'm pretty ignorant and have to use google to make my decisions, I want to on my own. The only "good" headphones I own are m50s. Idk where to post this btw

Apr 2, 2014 at 3:02 AM Post #3 of 15
Tread lightly when delving into audiophoolism.

Apr 2, 2014 at 7:33 AM Post #6 of 15
  Number one thing to learn: Don't fall for hype, try before you buy.

+1
This can't be said enough.

Way too much over-hype/flavour-of-the-month etc etc and even opinions/suggestions from people who have only read OTHER opinions/reviews or merely seen measurement charts.
Don't even trust reviews. Everyone hears differently. So read the good reviews AND the bad reviews to get a good idea of a headphones strengths/weaknesses.
But yes, ultimately you should try to hear something before you buy, or buy from a shop with an excellent return policy.

Eventually (with enough experience) you may even find a prolific reviewer who's opinions mostly mirror your own and you can use that as basic guide for future purchases.

Apr 2, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #7 of 15
  +1
This can't be said enough.

Way too much over-hype/flavour-of-the-month etc etc and even opinions/suggestions from people who have only read OTHER opinions/reviews or merely seen measurement charts.
Don't even trust reviews. Everyone hears differently. So read the good reviews AND the bad reviews to get a good idea of a headphones strengths/weaknesses.
But yes, ultimately you should try to hear something before you buy, or buy from a shop with an excellent return policy.

Eventually (with enough experience) you may even find a prolific reviewer who's opinions mostly mirror your own and you can use that as basic guide for future purchases.

Well said!

Wholeheartedly agree.

Apr 2, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #8 of 15
Play with an equalizer for several hours over the course of a week or so to get a sense of your preferred sound. You might find that you like something that's technically undesirable such as bass roll off or treble spikes. (If so, try Grados.) This saves a lot of time; it's probably the biggest predictor of what you'll end up enjoying. You need to have some idea of how neutral your test rig is. Otherwise, you might simply be compensating for some aspect of the rig.

Apr 2, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #11 of 15

My silly quote is: if a picture is worth 1,00 words, a demo is worth 1,00 reviews.

Haha, awesome.
That would make an excellent 'signature'.

Apr 3, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #14 of 15
I'm suprised nobody has told him the famous head-fi motto.

"Sorry about thine coin purse?" 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back