How bad of an idea is it to power powered headphones?
Aug 9, 2016 at 6:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mutik67

New Head-Fier
This may seem slightly silly, but is there any harm in connecting a set of powered/wireless headphones (such as the Wireless Momentums, or Plantronics Backbeat Pro) to an amplifier? What actually happens? 

Any help much appreciated. 

Aug 9, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #2 of 8
This may seem slightly silly, but is there any harm in connecting a set of powered/wireless headphones (such as the Wireless Momentums, or Plantronics Backbeat Pro) to an amplifier? What actually happens? 

Any help much appreciated. 

I asked the same question a few weeks ago. Here is a link to the thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/815285/headphone-amp-question#post_12745532
Just a side note, any Bluetooth headphones you have were made to be used wirelessly, therefore they will sound better wireless.

Aug 9, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #4 of 8
If it even has a cable that can make it work that way, then you'll send a louder (ie higher voltage) signal due to the amplified signal. If you turn down the volume on the built in amp, then no harm. Otherwise, there isn't any benefit because the amplifier that still drives the headphone will be the built-in amplifier, so apart from getting a much louder signal (which assuming it wasn't getting an EQ effect from the amp or the interaction between the first amp and the internal amp), it's the capabilities of that amplifier that still matters, in which case the drivers on these are selected with high sensitivity to begin with thus even those that can bypass the internal amp (ex so as not to use up the charge) barely benefit from a better amplifier because even the built-in amp barely gets to a point where it's already piling on distortion.

Basically I'm saying that audio amplifiers do not work like fictional energy weapons where a giant robot can connect his two rifles in series so the output rises exponentially allowing the giant robot to either punch through a battleship with an energy shield.

Aug 9, 2016 at 11:07 AM Post #8 of 8
Actually it's a joke, or that's what I meant for it to be. XD

I know it is, I'm just clarifying that the use of two amps in this case is in series and that that's the kind of example I used, and the photos of a seemingly unrelated thing similarly posted in jest regarding how electronics are mostly misunderstood. Kind of like how portable rigs during the iPod era got ridiculously large, not simply because of an iPod, iPod-compatible DAC and one amp, but Ive seen a few that used two amps in series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back