How can I tell how my decibles my headphones are putting out? I don't want to damage my ears.
Jan 4, 2013 at 2:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

JeffJeffery

New Head-Fier
I heard that you want to keep your dB for music below 85 because above that starts to damage your ears.  I'm going to be getting a pair of audio-technica ath-m50.  I'm use to my $10 ear buds and I want to make sure I know what a good volume level is with these and my ear buds for that matter.  I mostly use my iPod touch and computer for listening.  What % of the volume level on my iPod should I stay below to stay under 70-80 dB.  I don't go above half way now with my ear buds but I'm thinking my new headphones will be louder at the same level.  How can I tell.  I don't want to damage my ears.  Thanks

Jan 4, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #2 of 2
The volume setting on your mp3 player means nothing to anyone. :xf_eek: It's highly relativistic.

That said, if you experience pain or similar, you've got it too loud. It shouldn't be fatiguing or tiring listening to the music, and sounds around you shouldn't seem muted or quieter after a listening session. There should be no "ringing" or other sensations either. Best advice is just to have them at normal conversational level, and go from there. If you're really worried, familiarize yourself with an SPL meter and measure some common sounds - maybe even measure your headphones with it - and figure out what works from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back