How comfortable is Alessandro MS-1?
Jul 26, 2005 at 2:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Kippei

100+ Head-Fier
I rate comfort first and sound second....

No deal from getting your ear sore after listerning to good sound...

It is comparable to my current HQ-1300

Jul 26, 2005 at 2:44 PM Post #2 of 35
I think it's very dependant on the person. So many people told me the Grado (and as such, Alessandro) line of headphones were the most uncomfortable out there. Some even went as far to say they sold their headphones for that reason alone - despite how good the sound was. But I can tell you, in my experience, they're not actually that uncomfortable at all. I could wear them for hours on end and not feel a thing - and besides, to improve the comfort you can just bend the head band back (which it's worth noting is something I didn't ever have to do).

Compared to say, a pair of HD 555s they're not going to be as comfy obviously. But infact, I find after a short period of time I always get achy ears with my set of HD 497s. What I'm trying to say is, IMHO, Grados are not that uncomfortable and it's very much an exagerated issue, but nonetheless your the most important judge at the end of the day. The only way you can really find out is by trying them...and if there is a problem, I'm sure it's nothing a pair of C-pads couldn't fix.

Jul 26, 2005 at 2:47 PM Post #3 of 35
I think a lot of people who say Grado's are uncomfortable have NOT taken the time to unbend the headband to relieve pressure on their heads. If you do this, Grado's are no less comfortable than any other circum/supraaural headphones. I find my SR225 and my SR60's to be comfortable for several hours.

Jul 26, 2005 at 2:47 PM Post #4 of 35
Stock MS-1 is comfortable to me. Stock MS-1 comes with the comfie pads, not the typical Grado bowl pads (which are way less comfortable).

Jul 26, 2005 at 2:52 PM Post #5 of 35
Holy crap! i just bent my headband on my ms-1s after reading the posts here now i can barely feel them on, friggin awesome.

As for comfort, ive only ever owned a pair of hd270s(we all make mistakes in youth lol) and the ms-1s are nicer to wear because of the comfie pads that come with them, not to mention the sound is like 10 times better
smily_headphones1.gif

So basically, they arent as bad as some people make em out to be, they just rest on your ears as opposed to around your ears as in larger headphones which some people might not like, but personally i dont give a frog about it.

Buy em and enjoy!

Jul 26, 2005 at 3:57 PM Post #6 of 35
Grado Sr80 in my area currency sell $180, furthurmore it is the only distributor here...

Alessandro MS-1 convert to my currency is only $165....

You know the sum...

Jul 27, 2005 at 11:12 AM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kippei
Btw, does it also heat up your ears....????

I dont want a ear mufflers in such a hot weather down here

i live in jakarta, indonesia.
i wore my MS-1 out to walk my dog for about 5 minutes in front the house.

both my ears were sweating a lot, so much that inside the canals were actually getting damp. not very nice. and mind you, that was 5 minutes.

i dont know if it makes any difference, but i had the inverted 414 senn pads with quarter mod.

trust me, you won't like it for outdoor use in hot weather.

Jul 27, 2005 at 12:02 PM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by shochu
i live in jakarta, indonesia.
i wore my MS-1 out to walk my dog for about 5 minutes in front the house.

both my ears were sweating a lot, so much that inside the canals were actually getting damp. not very nice. and mind you, that was 5 minutes.

i dont know if it makes any difference, but i had the inverted 414 senn pads with quarter mod.

trust me, you won't like it for outdoor use in hot weather.

omg it is that bad.........

Jul 27, 2005 at 12:34 PM Post #13 of 35
The only good headphones for hot weather are headphones that don't cover your whole ear.....These MS-1's aren't worse than any other headphone for hot weather.

Jul 27, 2005 at 1:57 PM Post #14 of 35
I dont own MS1 but i do own MS2, and i can only assume it's worse than MS1 because i assume it's heavier due to larger, metal cups.

I find that grados aren't uncomfortable, but they're not comfortable either. For a bit of a metaphor for comparison, grados are not like sitting on a nice leather couch, but they're not like sitting on an old school plastic chair either. Grados are like a nice respectable office chair: i could sit on it for hours without complaint, but i wouldn't fall asleep on it like a nice leather chair (although, for the record, i have actually fallen asleep once or twice wearing my MS2s... while sitting on a nice leather couch
tongue.gif
)

They may be uncomfortable at first, so many people dismiss them after experiencing this, but after bending t he headband and wearing them for a while they get MUCH better. I didn't actually bend the headband of mine- i let it bend naturally over time due to being on my head and being stretched when i put it on and off.

As for heat, i wear them outside in australian summer without any real complaints. They sit on your ears rather than encompasing them, so it's probably not as bad as over ear phones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back