How D10 Charge?
May 30, 2009 at 5:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ting

New Head-Fier
Dear iBrasso

I'm the D10 Cobra user in Thailand. The D10 Cobra is a great DAC/AMP, but I have a little confusion on how it charge it's battery?

As I know D10 use Li-ion battery, so it have no memory effet just like most mobile phone now a day. I charge my iPhone everynight - overnight, regardless how the battery remain, on some weekend I leave it connected to the AC adapter all day long, while I still using it.

In the D10 user manual it said

"When the power lamp is flashing, the battery needs to be charged. Charging is accomplished with either the furnished USB cable or AC adapter. Make sure the charge switch is turned to On position. It usually takes about 6 hours to charge a completely drained battery. When the charge lamp turns to orange color, the D10 starts charging. At the point the charge lamp goes off, the battery is fully charged. the D10 has overcharge protection; you can leave the D10 plugged and no over-charging concerns. In order to extend the battery life, please always keep the charge switch on Off position when it does not need to be charged."

The statement above is quite clear, but not cristal. The point is, How the D10 know that it's battery is completely charged?. Is it timer charged or it detect heat or it detect delta Vcc negative to said the battery is completely charged?

Regards,
Ting

May 30, 2009 at 6:11 AM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ting /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear iBrasso

I'm the D10 Cobra user in Thailand. The D10 Cobra is a great DAC/AMP, but I have a little confusion on how it charge it's battery?

As I know D10 use Li-ion battery, so it have no memory effet just like most mobile phone now a day. I charge my iPhone everynight - overnight, regardless how the battery remain, on some weekend I leave it connected to the AC adapter all day long, while I still using it.

In the D10 user manual it said

"When the power lamp is flashing, the battery needs to be charged. Charging is accomplished with either the furnished USB cable or AC adapter. Make sure the charge switch is turned to On position. It usually takes about 6 hours to charge a completely drained battery. When the charge lamp turns to orange color, the D10 starts charging. At the point the charge lamp goes off, the battery is fully charged. the D10 has overcharge protection; you can leave the D10 plugged and no over-charging concerns. In order to extend the battery life, please always keep the charge switch on Off position when it does not need to be charged."

The statement above is quite clear, but not cristal. The point is, How the D10 know that it's battery is completely charged?. Is it timer charged or it detect heat or it detect delta Vcc negative to said the battery is completely charged?

Regards,
Ting

Ting, I'm not sure if iBasso monitors this forum that often, so you may want to email them directly.

That being said, the red charge light will go off when it's charged completely.

In some cases, I've found that certain usb ports don't have a high enough power for the LED to turn off, even after 6+ hours. So, that tells me that it's NOT timer based.

Even this happens and I've charged it for ~6 hours (if the D10 was fully discharged), I know it will be charged completely. I'll unplug the D10 from the usb cable, and when I plug it the cable back in, the red light will remain off.

Sorry, that's the best I could do with the information that I have.

Jon

May 30, 2009 at 10:00 AM Post #3 of 13
Thanks Jon,

I just finished my test and it looking good to me.

My test start with using the D10 all the way to empty battery (the Power lamp flashing) then turn the charge switch On. I still listening to it while it charged. After about 6-7 Hours, the charging lamp goed off and then I unplug it from my Notebook....

Waiting about and hour, so that any heat built up while the charging gone away. Then, with the charging switch still at On position, I plug it back to the USB port on my Notebook again... The charging lamp did not illuminated, so I think the D10 is smart enough to know the charging status of it's battery.

Anyway if you are here, iBasso, give us a comment.

Thanks.
Ting

May 31, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #4 of 13
I just got a reply in my inbox.

Dear Sir,
Thank you for your email.
The Li-ion battery will decay after 500 charging period, this is the reason that why we add the charging switch. Charge the Li-ion battery frequently will lead the battery to decay.
The D10 has the charging regulation chip to detact the voltage and the current to judge if the charge is completed.

Sincerely
iBasso Audio

That is cristal clear, thanks for the reply.

Jul 1, 2009 at 1:46 AM Post #6 of 13
I have similar question too. If i plug my D10 to the USB port of my laptop with the charging switch off, is D10 going use power from USB port?

Jul 1, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #7 of 13
This is the response from on iBasso Audio when I asked them whether I should leave the switch on all the time when plugging my D10 into USB port.

Dear Sir,
In the D10, only the PCM2906 is running off of the USB. The other parts of the D10 is powered by the Li-polymer battery.
You can keep the charge switch On Off position, and when the power lamp is flashing, then flick the switch to On position to charge the battery.

Sincerely
iBasso Audio

Jul 8, 2009 at 9:57 AM Post #8 of 13
Okaaay... so just a few other questions:

1) Can I safely use the D10 while it's charging via the USB port of the computer? Will it work, in the first place? And if it works, will this not lead to a shorter battery life in the long run?

2) What is this power supply unit you guys are talking about? How can I use the D10 without using/draining the battery?

Jul 9, 2009 at 3:19 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by fuseboxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okaaay... so just a few other questions:

1) Can I safely use the D10 while it's charging via the USB port of the computer? Will it work, in the first place? And if it works, will this not lead to a shorter battery life in the long run?

2) What is this power supply unit you guys are talking about? How can I use the D10 without using/draining the battery?

Just use it. Turn it on when you want to listen to music. When the little red LED in the back flashes, flip the charge switch to "on". When it's done charging, turn it to "off". When the battery dies, it dies. You can probably get a replacement 3 years from now when it wears out. Of course, if you're using it while connected to a computer, having the battery life shortened really makes no difference.

Aug 7, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by hfjunior /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the response from on iBasso Audio when I asked them whether I should leave the switch on all the time when plugging my D10 into USB port.

Dear Sir,
In the D10, only the PCM2906 is running off of the USB. The other parts of the D10 is powered by the Li-polymer battery.
You can keep the charge switch On Off position, and when the power lamp is flashing, then flick the switch to On position to charge the battery.

Sincerely
iBasso Audio

All my questions on charging have been answered in this thread, thanks to all very much!

Dec 17, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #12 of 13
I was using the IBasso D10 hooked up to my macbook pro via usb, charger off (New Ibasso) and today I saw it did not want to turn on. Strange thing is I am using it hooked up to my mac so the battery should not have been discharged.
I clicked on the back to charge battery and then it started flashing in the front and now the light in the front is red, and the one in the back next to the orange lit up. Does this mean every time I use it, even hooked up to my mac, Im going to use the battery instead of getting the power from the macbook pro (new)?
How easy is it to replace battery in this thing?

Dec 18, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Narutin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was using the IBasso D10 hooked up to my macbook pro via usb, charger off (New Ibasso) and today I saw it did not want to turn on. Strange thing is I am using it hooked up to my mac so the battery should not have been discharged.
I clicked on the back to charge battery and then it started flashing in the front and now the light in the front is red, and the one in the back next to the orange lit up. Does this mean every time I use it, even hooked up to my mac, Im going to use the battery instead of getting the power from the macbook pro (new)?
How easy is it to replace battery in this thing?

The orange LED at the back indicates that the USB is detecting a signal when connected to your Mac. If you turn off your Mac while connected, the orange LED will turn off since there is no signal, also if you disconnect the USB cable. The red LED indicates the that the D10 is charging via the USB when the toggle switch is set to charge "on". If the toggle switch is "off", the D10 will not charge the battery even if the USB cable is connected. This will eventually completely drain the battery. The flashing "red" LED on the front means the battery was drained and is now charging. It will then change to a solid red shortly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back