How did you enter the world of HiFi Headphones/Gear?
May 22, 2022 at 11:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

HiFiGuy94

New Head-Fier
I'll start: So i first owned a pair of Audiotechnica M50x's but once i learned more about headphone sound signatures and listening to these headphones i found them too bright for my liking, so next i was looking for something darker with more bass/low end. After hearing good reviews i picked up a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's (32 ohm). I enjoyed the sound of these much more but still felt they left a lot to be desired. My ideal sound signature is something warm and musical with lush/rich/intimate vocals and good bass (sub-bass). This desire for a better headphone eventually led me to the Audeze LCD-2s after hearing really positive reviews. Particularly how good the sub-bass is on these headphones. After purchasing my first high end headphone i decided they sounded very good however i found them too analytical and boring for my tastes. I wanted something with a little more colour. I stayed with these expensive headphones for quite a while before deciding to sell them. After selling them i realised i wanted to get back into headphones again and considering i have a mac air i was considering the Apple AirPods Max. But after giving it more thought i figured i could get a much better sound quality out of non-apple headphones and decided i would save up again for hopefully some ''end-game'' headphones.

Enter 'Z Reviews' on youtube. I listened to a bunch of his reviews on different headphones and IEMS before listening to a bunch of different sound demos before arriving at this sound demo () and i was quite blown away by the sound quality coming from these ''Ear-speakers''. Even compared to the previous edition the L500 MK2's which he demoed. So here i now sit with a giant hole in my wallet and a new pair of Ear-speakers heading my way. Now it just need to save up for an energiser which will take me a little while but will be another 2K down the drain. Im just hoping i've finally found my end game and based on the sound demo, i believe i have. I wish you all find your one and only end game headphones.

Attachments

• 20200721_141151.jpeg
    20200721_141151.jpeg
    347.3 KB · Views: 0
May 23, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #2 of 3
Lol... Zeos. I entered by way of car audio--lots of Eclipse and Pioneer HUs, DLS and Focal components, and just about anything decent for rear fill. Subs, I've had everything from JL to MTX (when I was broke). Amps I've had OG Hifonics, A/D/S, Audison, etc.

After that, and when I finally had a home, came the HT setup. Now I have a Denon, Energy towers and center, Revel surrounds, Sonance rounds for Atmos, and an SVS cylinder.

Shooting audio directly into my head seemed like the next logical step.

May 23, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #3 of 3
When I was 8 I wanted better headphones for SWL and Amateur Radio listening, so my dad took me to an Western Electronics parts store - what a revelation that was! Back then it was the largest components supply store, and I ordered many projects worth of components from them over the years until they closed.

And, that is where I first saw the Koss Pro/4 headphones I later purchased and enjoyed for many years; I later bought a replacement pair, now both long gone.
https://koss.com/pages/koss-history

When I was allowed to walk to the local Mall at 11 years old, I had a destination in my head of seeing a "Stereo" building up on a Hill near the Mall Movie Theater. I had my own money as I had started selling Greeting Cards, Newspapers, and other items Door to Door when I was 8.

This is in California so the Mall was "Huge" and spread out on top of large Hills, seperated into Islands across acres of open tarmac parking lots. I climbed up onto the Mall Hill nearest where we lived, and walked from one end of the Mall to the other, crossed a street to get to the other Mall Hill, and hiked up that Hill and there it was a Heathkit Store, a Pacific Stereo Store, and a Movie Theater was built a bit further back on that Hill.

I spent a lot of my free time on weekends up on that Hill, getting rides "to the Movie Theater", and then dropping back to visit the Heathkit and Pacific Stereo stores.

A great place for kids to grow up. :ksc75smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back